I've actually finished something!!!

Jeff Herne

This is a mini-review/build...

There was a furor about the internet awhile back regarding the 21st Century Toys "kits" that were being released. Thanks to Lee White, I managed to get my mitts on a couple of Macchi 202 Folgores. I have the Pacific Coast Models Macchi sitting in the stash, so I did a quick comparison and decided I would see what this $10 model had to offer.

The kit itself is not complex by any means...assembly was less than an hour.

ms202-01.jpg

I did have to apply multiple coats of filler to the screw recesses even after inserting the plugs provided in the kit. These are easy to sand smooth and are virtually invisible once you've primed the model.

ms202-02.jpg

I did nothing special to the model aside from basic construction techniques. I primed everything and sprayed Tamiya XF-60 Dark Yellow on the upper and Gunze FS 36270 on the lower surfaces. This was a quick, fun project so I wasn't going to get crazy with paint colors. To my old Mk. I eyeball, they looked about right. Knowing that most 202s I'd see in model form were done with smoke rings, I decided on a slightly different pattern and chose a paint scheme seen on Major Luigi Filippi's 23 Gruppo, 3 Stormo Folgore.

I didn't have the actual numbers for Filippi's aircraft (white 75), so I went with what I had - a black 70. Like I said, I wasn't getting nutty with this model.

I painted the web pattern using Tamiya XF-58 Olive Green freehand, sealed it with Future, and applied the decals. Once everything was dry, I clear-coated the model with Future mixed with Tamiya XF-21 Flat Base.

The panel lines are a bit heavy, similar to the old Matchbox kits, and the exhausts could definitely use some improving, maybe a set of Moskit exhausts could be adapted (they'd cost more than the model though!). I turned the cannon housings on my lathe, as I broke the molded-on parts off during assembly.

For $10 and 10 hours of work, it looks fantastic. It won't win any contests, but it looks great on the shelf from a foot away. From what I can see, 21st Century is serious about adapting their "pre-built" line into more precise and accurate models. It will be interesting to see if their new kits, especially their P-51B/C, will be able to compete with existing model kits and actually provide a better alternative to the old Revell kit.

I should point out that the decals in this kit are worth the $10 alone. These were some of the best decals I've ever used.

macchi202_1.jpg

macchi202_2.jpg

macchi202_3.jpg

macchi202_4.jpg

Well done Jeff...that looks tops. I love you dark green camo airbrushing...nice work. If I had access to lots of these kits I think I'd build one just as you have...the one that I have...I might leave that for some scratch built details.

Good on you Lee White... :D It was very noticable how many LSP'ers you helped get these kits. Top stuff mate ;)

I'm looking forward to building the same kit. Thanks Mike :P

Cheers Matty

PS Jeff..i might nudge this into the members builds buddy. Mum says hi and hopes you mag is doing well ( dinner last night)