Revell Fw 190D-9

LSP_Kevin

Very well done Kevin! The third picture from the bottom just about looks like it was taken of the real thing in a museum, which suggests to me that where weathering is concerned, less is more. It's true that museum aircraft are often pristine in contrast to service ones, but still there's a valuable lesson there. I shall be referring back to this build when the blessed day comes for my own never-ending Spitty build to meet the airbrush.

So what's your next project going to be?

Best,

Jean

Very well done Kevin! The third picture from the bottom just about looks like it was taken of the real thing in a museum, which suggests to me that where weathering is concerned, less is more. It's true that museum aircraft are often pristine in contrast to service ones, but still there's a valuable lesson there. I shall be referring back to this build when the blessed day comes for my own never-ending Spitty build to meet the airbrush.

So what's your next project going to be?

Best,

Jean

Thanks for the kind words Jean! My next LSP project will be even more daft than this one - rebuilding an old Revell Zero I have in the cabinet. Well, had, actually, as it's already in pieces. I'll start a new thread this weekend about it, as I think I'll need plenty of advice and encouragement on this one! Given the other unbuilt 1/32 scale kits in my stash, I'm not really sure what I'm thinking here...

Kev

Fantastic results Kev!!

This build has been a lot of fun to follow for me, made more so by the fact that it feels like I made a friend halfway around the world in the process. Display that one with pride, Mate!

That looks really good!

Can't wait to dig mine out and have a go... so many kits, so little time.

About the only thing I would do differently would be the wheel well, those Revell wells are always so basic.

What was the cockpit like?

Thanks everyone for your kind words, I really do appreciate them.

Fantastic results Kev!!

This build has been a lot of fun to follow for me, made more so by the fact that it feels like I made a friend halfway around the world in the process. Display that one with pride, Mate!

Thanks Dave. It's been a pleasure getting to know you of late and even if this build had bombed, that alone would have compensated.

:)

That looks really good!

Can't wait to dig mine out and have a go... so many kits, so little time.

About the only thing I would do differently would be the wheel well, those Revell wells are always so basic.

What was the cockpit like?

I have to say I agonised over the wheel wells, but in the end I opted to simply remove the cross-bracing and leave it at that - my scratchbuilding skills are practically non-existent, and I simply couldn't afford anything like the Rutman set. The cockpit is relatively poor, and I did make an attempt to detail it, but gave up halfway through after realising I was out of my depth. Will definitely have to improve there for the Zero! The only aftermarket items in the build are the decals.

When I started building this kit I really didn't know where I was going to take it, and my main goal at the time was to make it look better than the photos of the built-up kit on the side of the box! Ultimately I settled for making it look as good as I could outwardly and not fussing about small details too much. I'm still trying to find my feet with this stuff so I needed to limit my ambitions somewhat. :rolleyes: The Zero build (stay tuned...) will have more of a focus on detailing, but will probably take even longer and have even more stuff-ups.

Kev

Good on you Kev. What a super sharp looking D9!

After all the trials and tribulations you should bask in the rewarding glow of a very well crafted, stunningly painted and decaled but best of all finished model. Even though you had your troubles it seems as if you never lost the joy of model building and that's the whole point. To me it's not weather it is the most detailed, has perfect prototype colours or tons of aftermarket resin it's the smile on my face at 2am while I'm sanding out my mistakes that makes the difference. That kind of smile is all over this Fw190. Well done Sir and I for one will be looking forward to seeing what you have planed for that Zero.

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks for your kind words and appreciation Dan. Here's hoping the Zero goes a little more smoothly (but I doubt it!).

Kev