1:32 Lockheed EC-121K Constellation/Warning Star

Iain

Apologies Bruce - I have a box sat here with most of them but been mega busy work-wise so haven't done any casting to get the last ones done.

As I said - they're pretty rough - but probably usable.

Have next week off as holiday to do some catching up - so should get sorted then.

Sorry buddy!

Iain

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all, long time, no post - on Connie anyway.

Back to the cockpit colours - which is where I parked.

Does anyone know for sure if there a standard colour for all EC-121K cockpits, or was there a change after a certain point (from green to grey?)?

Am about to mask up all the instruments and spray green - but if not necessary...

@Bruce - sorry - will take a look at the engines I've cast later and report back. In an ideal world, and knowing more about casting now, I'd re-make the moulds from a fresh ZM Skyraider engine.

Iain

@Michael - the foam is a two-component rigid polyurethane foam - available here in the UK from Alec Tiranti Ltd - but there will be equivalents available globally.

Don't be tempted to use the spray can insulation foam - it's nothing like the same and can cause more trouble than it's worth!

Iain

Just been advised by a 4,000 hr USN WV-2/EC-121K veteran that they were all grey - so crossing fingers...

If anyone else can corroborate I'll be a happy bunny.

With all the previous images having been on that certain image hosting site that shall no longer be mentioned in polite company, I've uploaded where we were at on the pit to my new favourite - ImageShack:

nSyvmq.jpg

ejpOyT.jpg

EM7WlU.jpg

Have fun...

Iain

When I started the plan was for a full interior - but several things became clear:

• Most of it wouldn't be seen
  • It would mean that the chances of finishing the project would be greatly diminished
  • Structurally I've had to add some formers/reinforcement through the fuselage

The plan I formulated was to concentrate only on visible areas of the interior - cockpit, gear bays etc., as well as engines - and focus on getting the shapes and surface finish as accurate as possible.

I stalled when it appeared that some cockpits may have been a bronze green, rather than grey - but I'm reasonably confident now that a US Navy EC-121K was normally grey.

Good progress yesterday (and two packs of Epoxy used up bonding internal structures) - I really want/need to get the fuselage closed up...

Have two 8oz packs of Pacer Zap PT-39 Z-POXY 30 Minute Epoxy Resin on their way - this is what will be used to bond the fuselage halves together - Epoxy as it will be a lot stronger than super glues, or solvents, and 30 minute working time so that I can get everything glued, assembled, taped up and aligned correctly before the glue goes off.

fFX8P5.jpg

If I have time today the plan is to replace a couple of the fuselage windows that have visible flaws and paint the interior void matt black.

Iain

This has to be the longest modelling project I can think of, iirc it was in 2000 that you first brought it to the AVon show in Yate.  Very glad you've stuck with it, and really looking forward to seeing it finished.

Although I assume that it won't be at SMW this year?  :whistle: