Big Jug(s)....

Hej guys... thought I would get on the parade since I landed a few of these birds from HLJ! I started out cleaning and polishing the parts and assembling the engine and running some small calibre lead wire through to the cylinders. I have noticed though that the rocker heads are molded on backwards on the rear cylinder... but hej no biggie! This kit is a gem!

Enjoy a few pics... I have never painted with oils or enamels before so I wil trying a few things for the first time on this build....I build about as fast as molasses flows in the Quebec winter... so it will take me ahwile to get through this beast!

I actually wish that Hasegawa would have taken a little longer to get this kit out.... atleast I would have finished my Me 262 up before starting this one!!! :D

Cheers

Alan B) ..........I too am a lover of big jugs...who isn't ;) ;)

on these two pics you can see ROSIE rolled her sleeves up again and plugged into the pneumatic pressure and started riveting away!! :D

post-10-1179167770.jpg

post-10-1179167796.jpg

... and moving along a few sink marks still to fill :D

You will also see that I scribbed a new panel line in on the top of the wing.. at the rear wing root base.... I can't prove that it is there in reality... but my ref's show a panel line there... so in it went!

All filling is done with Mr. surfacer 500!

post-10-1179168062.jpg

post-10-1179168070.jpg

...here is a shot of the power house... I sneaked the ignition ring from the VECTOR 1/32 scale P&W engine kit :D !! Easy way out!!

A little visible is the P&W decal from Liveries Intl... (I think that is how it is spelled.. LSP Chris put me on to these!) excellent for such builds!

Link for the P&W decals (Courtesy of LSP Chris): P&W Decals available here

post-10-1179168294.jpg

... and another angle... I still might change the magnetos... still not too convinced that these are the right ones for this build??? :D

Here is a production data plate decal stolen from the MDC cockpit decals (spare decal stash)!

post-10-1179168471.jpg

...here is the cowling... mistake no.1 I sprayed Z C Yellow all over the air splitter instead of anodized Aluminum..... but hej.. live and learn right!! ROSIE also had a go at the cowling.. I would recommend riveting these parts seperately before glueing them all together! ;)

Cheers... and hope you enjoyed the build so far.... next up is to get the wheel bays all plumbed up and painted!!!

Alan B)

P.s If you have'nt bought this kit yet... go and get one... you won't be dissapointed! :D

post-10-1179168551.jpg

post-10-1179168557.jpg

The System you have there Alan (and the one that comes in the kit) is the Bendix/Scintilla magneto system installed on some R-2800-59's. In this system, the dual magneto sits proudly in the middle between two distributors, unlike the GE system here. I guess it depends on who built the engine, P&W or someone under contract. Anyway, the only real way to tell if the engine you're using is correct is to have a look at the one installed in the subject aircraft you're modeling.

The GE Magneto system was far more common in the -59 series and was almost used exclusively. I still have to check my 2800 book to see how many Bendix mag systems were installed on those series engines. I believe it is very, very few.

HTH

Tim

Sweet work mate. mt refs also show the panel line but I left it out on mine. Scribing is not my forte. My refs don't show any rivets onthe cowling? I'd apreciate a cheeky scan of yours if thats possible mate? Cheers.

Jamie

Thanks for the nice words guys! Ted: you got it mate... welcome to.... "big fat lazy ******* club"... MDC is cool and so is Rossie ... but I prefer to zip through the riveting with Rosie and use the MDC tool for fasteners and the like... my wife has two pilots in her life.. me and the uncle at SAS... according to her, pilots "CAN" be lazy!! :D ;) I love it!!

Jamie: I will send you an email via the site...

Thanks again guys! I do appreciate the input!

Tim: I will be changing the Magnetos today if I can spare the time. Thansk for the help mate!

Cheers

Alan :)

Engine update.... decided to go with the new Intel (General Electric Mags) from Tim regarding Magnetos et al. Here is the reworked Hasegawa engine: VECTOR ignition ring + VECTOR magnetos + hand made cylinder brackets (on the outer edge of the cylinders on top between the rocker arms). I like it so far... and although I am using aftermarket products I am still trying to use as much as possible of the original kit parts :o :lol:

Cheers

Alan B)

Not 100% correct... but close enough for the girls I date - they say!

post-10-1179410436.jpg