Ki-84 22nd Sentai FINISHED

Guest TimC

I did some by using Canuks method only substituting MircoMask for Maskol. That part worked ok. I don't think micromask yielded the same results as maskol would've. For the remainder of the missing paint, I used a trick I learned a long time ago while experimenting with the, then new, metalizer paints. I put down the silver base coat, sprayed the color coats on top of it, let them dry (they're acrylic so they dry fast). Now comes the hard part...take a strip of good masking tape ( I use 3M brand) tape a portion of it to the paint, burnish it down, and then RRRRRIIIIIPPPP it off quickly :lol: You'll get some excellent chipping this way. It does have it's disadvantages though, the main one being it's not very controllable (if that's a word and if I spelled it correctly). You get what you get and that's it. It's easy to take more off but harder n hell to put it back on if too much came off.

Anyway, that's why the jury is still out on whether I like the paint job or not. I'm teetering on the side that I took too much off.

HTH

Tim

That should work as long as you've got enough of a lead to allow you to rip the tape of rather quickly cause that's what causes the bond between the layers of paint to fail....(hi tech paint talk) LOL.

Ok, the paint stripping and repainting went rather well. Approximately 2 1/2 hours from start to finish. Here's a couple shots of my Hayate recoated without chipping. I'll do that with another technique after everything else is done. I gotta say that stripping off acrylic paint with Easy Off is MUCH easier than it is with enamels.

Tim

post-264-1178243658.jpg

post-264-1178243691.jpg

Here she is all dressed up but with no place to go. :lol: Couple shots with the decals freshly applied and waiting until tomorrow until they cure. Then comes the flat coat(s), weathering and the addtion of the teeney weeney stuff like wheels, struts, pitot tubes, etc.

post-264-1178314215.jpg

post-264-1178314233.jpg

Chris:

No, I actually used the kit decals for this one. I do have a set of Montex masks but they're for an Otsu. I don't think this one was shot down as there's a color picture of it at Kimpo right after the war and it looks very much intact. :P (It's in the Aero Detail book on the Hayate by the way)

Tim

Guest canuck63

Frightfully marvelous Jim :blink: :ph34r: :) !That's one of the best Ki-84s I've seen on this forum and its chipping it's better than your first attempt IMHO(now that you've stripped the first coat of paint I think I can say that! :P !) and worlds better than other..."attempts"!

It only needs a lil' ole weathering...a few pin-washes and don't forget that the Homare was a mechanic-san's nightmare....a few oil leaks would be de rigeur...I'm hi-jacking your thread with a few pics of my Hayate to show you what I mean!

Congrats on a real beauty!

Manu

post-413-1178576826.jpg

post-413-1178577061.jpg