Albatros DIII

Qvarre

Rather than a whole new sub-forum dedicated to WW1 LSPs, maybe it would be prudent to test the waters with a WW1 Group Build. That way the LSP staff can gauge interest in the WW1 era and see if it warrants its own permanent area.

Kev

I'd be in for a WW1 GB or forum. Definitely. Years ago I built the Revell 1/28 Camel as an all white AFC training aircraft, with a red Kangaroo on the side. It was flown by a gent known as 'Tabby' Pflaum.

I also have painted the four 150mm busts (sculpted by Mike Good) that were included in Dragon 1/48 aircraft some years back, being Richtofen, Rickenbacker, Udet and a little know pilot named Hans Goerth.

That being said, the Albatros that is being built here is a really nice piece of work.

Cheers

Tony

Hi

Last nigth I´ve had time for some job with the airbrush. The upper cammo was fixed and some peices in the Eduard etchset was painted grey.

Bild031.jpg

Eduard´s set includes new vents and covers to replace the badly cast on the fuselage. It´s was easyer to paint all wood without this vents and covers, so after painted grey they are just to be glued inplace.

Bild033-1.jpg

The exhaustpipe was corrected with Milliput and sanded to shape.

Bild037.jpg

The wheels and spinner is finnished, before painted they was detailed up with MDC rivettool.

Bild038.jpg

Bild041.jpg

cheers

Larsa

Hi

Last nigth I´ve had time for some job with the airbrush. The upper cammo was fixed and some peices in the Eduard etchset was painted grey.

cheers

Larsa

Could you give us a brief description of how you painted the wood so it looks so real?

what under coating -paint, color, brush or spray- do youi use.

How do you get that wood grain effect - paint, color, brush?)

What overcoat, if any?

Tips on your techniques would be much appreciated.

Also, how do you do the wing? Are those rib tapes shown there? do you mask? what masks do you use or do you make your own with____?

Thanks,

Stephen

l have tossed the idea of a WW1 group build around but so far no response but we should do one just to make it different from the WW2 to modern we seem to do here. So if my partner wants to we can talk about it later

Gentlemen, All,

I'm in for a WW1 group build if I can count the Roden Triplane I'm currently battling...errr...building...! <_<

Cheers,

Gary

Hi Larsa,

Your Albatros looks like a work of art - your techniques are outstanding.

I don't know if I could build a WWI biplane in time for any prospective groupbuild (I'm sure that it would take longer than a WWII subject), although I do like - and support - a WWI group build.

My interest would be scratch building a WWI aircraft (antone got any good reference for the Martinsyde F.4 Buzzard?).

Good luck with the rest of your build Larsa.

Derek

Could you give us a brief description of how you painted the wood so it looks so real?

what under coating -paint, color, brush or spray- do youi use.

How do you get that wood grain effect - paint, color, brush?)

What overcoat, if any?

Tips on your techniques would be much appreciated.

Also, how do you do the wing? Are those rib tapes shown there? do you mask? what masks do you use or do you make your own with____?

Thanks,

Stephen

Hi Stephen

You have lots of questions, I saw this coming today ( darn I should explain that for the guys) better sooner than later.

I got this question on some other forum sometime ago, that time I had painted up an old Humbroltin with woodgrains and simply told the guy to go to his LHS and ask for number 1.4 from Humbrol. The guy wasen´t that happy when he discovered the date, first of April. LOL

But for you and all others I'm glad to give you a brief description.

Wood graining.

This is what you need.

• Some colour to use as base, any kind of brown.

• Thinner/white spirit.

• Paintbrushes old and used ones are the best

• Old kitckentowel

• Oilpaints Yellow Ochre, Burnt Umbre, Unburnt Umbre, Crimsom

• Something to paint on

• Gloss varnish

My LHS sell´s Humbrol so therefore I'm a Humbrolman, that’s why going to give you directions in Humbrol numbers.

The basecolor

Comes in three types; Gloss, satin or flat. Because the oil must have something to hold/stick to you need the basecolor. I often use gloss number 9 , 94, 93 or 103.With the knowledge that the oil paint react different to gloss, semigloss or flat surfaces, you have the secret. The oil need something to stick to, and a total flat surface is the best and the gloss is worst for the oil. With semi or gloss the oils start to slide on the surface and you got the grains. Using this depending on witch scale you work in you can get some really nice results.

With an airbrush paint the section to be grained. Strive for a dustfree smooth finish. Let this coat of paint dry completely (That’s overnight for me).

The oils

I don´t know how much you have used oil before, so if you need to buy, go for the high quality stuff.

Mix the give oilpaints on a piece of kitchen foil with some white spirits, the consistence something like yogurt. Now’s the time to have some fun, Take up the mixed oil with the brush and start in the upper corner of the panel and brush it horizontal to the end of the panel. With even horizontal stroke, you work your way down on the panel. You will need that towel to wipe off the surplus paint from the brush once in wail. Depending on witch paint you started with gloss, semi or flat you will be able to brush out some real nice grains on the surface.

Don´t hurry in this step, you have plenty off time to fool around with the brush. When you are satisfied with the panel, move to the next on.

Now the oil has to be left alone for some drying time (for me a day or two). When it’s completely dry you need to seal the grain with some varnish (I use Humbrol varnish). Shut this with the airbrush.

Troubleshooting

• If you discoverer that the oil starts to mixing with the basecolour. You need to let the base colour dry more.

• Can’t get any grains. You have too much paint on a too small area. Wipe off the brush on the towel.

This is really all there is to it. Now’s the time to practise. And practise is just what you’ll need. Believe me, my first looked terrible, so don´t start on your best project. Go for something in the sparebox

I guess this is the brief version. Huh

I´ll be back with the description on the wings later.

Cheers

Larsa

The ribtapes

The method is just to give the illusion off ribs on the wings. Some guy’s don´t like it, some do. Often WW1 builders use to cut out tiny strips off decals and tape the top of each rib. This is the reinforce strips on the real thing. This is just boring to do, so I'm starting with a basecoat of Humbrol grey 64.Then I cut masking tapes in tiny strips and mask of all the ribs.The maskin tape is a papertype of painterstape

1_13_853928_575_422_0_0_0.jpg

1_13_638283_575_422_0_0_0.jpg

You are going to have references to do this. Windsock has excellent books of almost every WW1 planes. You will need there’s riggingplans anyway, do I never seen a single kitinstruction giving you the correct rigg.

When all ribs are masked I’ll spray a thin mix of black and brown on top of the masking strips. When all is brushed, take off all the strips and you have something like this.

1_13_638537_575_422_0_0_0.jpg

Now´s the time to airbrush the colour of choice off the bird. What I'm doing here is to mix the colour with some gloss varnish, this will give me a kind off semitransparent colour. This is brushed in thin layers over the wings. You can work your way up and stop when you is satisfied. You will end up somewhere here.

1_13_761684_575_422_0_0_0.jpg

That’s all about the technique I´ve uses on the wings.

The pics I used was a DH2 from Eduard 48-scale.

1_13_842826_575_422_0_0_0.jpg

Hopefully you have all the answer now, Stephen

Larsa

Having a great deal of expeience with oils, I would suggest old t-shirts as opposed to k-towells. You get much less lint and the wife won't give you ant sh*t!

Great job on the woodgrain! I wish more people would get into oils and your painting tells the story!