Storing decals and aftermarket parts

CharlesMetz

The subject of storing decals and aftermarket parts came up recently on Hyperscale, and I just realized that my thoughts on the subject might be useful to some here as well.

I have too many decals to allow storage in loose-leaf binders, so I keep them in polyethelene snap-top boxes instead. The best such boxes that I've found for decals -- appropriately sized, efficiently shaped, very well made, securely stackable and adequately transparent -- are the 13" x 7-1/2" x 4-1/4 "Shoe Boxes" sold by The Container Store, who list them on the catalog page here. I also use the larger "Man's Shoe Boxes" shown on the same catalog page to store aftermarket detail and conversion sets, in this case organizing first by medium (resin, photoetch, vacform, etc.), then by nation and finally by aircraft type. The photo of my kit closet below shows some of the latter boxes on your right together with sturdy, easy-to-install steel shelving that also came from The Container Store, as described here.

DSC_0014e_sm.jpg

Charles Metz

Charles , that is a well organized stash. I keep my decals in vertical files, by nation. 1/48 and jets are each lumped together, so all my jet stuff is in one folder, 1/48 in another. instruction sheets are armor, aircraft, and misc.

post-105-1175628702.jpg

By the way guys, i see some of you (i won't mention names Charles.... :o ) can start their own hobbyshop selling kits, seeing lots and lots of spit-boxes still to be build.........

I myself stash the kits in larger boxes, some together on era, some together on country of origin, and to avoid problems concerning decals (moisture etc.) i use mainly binders as Charles indicated and store them in my (heated) hobby room, though these plastic containers are perfect as well.

And also the aftermarket stuff will be kept separately, but i think most of us shall be using the same methods as mentioned in this thread.

Problem is .........the total amount of kits is growing, and growing, and growing, and.......djeez, this is getting out of hand.... ;)

J.