1/32 Arado 234B

Radub

Hi Everyone,

My current project is an Arado 234B. This will serve as masters for a MDC kit (no ETA yet).

In this thread, I intend to show you the work in progress.

This started as an ID models vacform... but much of the vacform parts were discarded or modified beyond any recognition.

The main problem I came across when I started working on it was that none of the existing drawings match the "real thing" (and I looked in a lot of places)

Therefore, I drew my own drawings using the known dimensions, the existing factory drawings (thanks to Mr. Arthur Bentley) and the photographs I could find in the Aero Detail book, the Monogram Monarch book and the internet.

Photos will be uploaded soon.

Radu

Radu

I knew it (literally). This is very exciting news for a sad old luftwaffe fanatic. These will sell like hotcakes.

Are you going to set it up so that a four engined 'C' can be done? I shall watch this with baited breath. I suppose its too early to venture a price?

Matt

Guest UMIRESIN

Ahhhhhhhhh one of the few jets I like ! ! I remember seeing a master years ago on Craftworks site , but it never came to anything . Great news Radu ! I know you will work wonders with a new one . :)

AND NOW --- ( this is a joke by the way ya jet jockeys ! heh heh )

My theory on Props vs jets ( snikker ) :lol:

propellor aircraft truly fly paddling those blades through the air .

However -----

jets draw air in their noses and shoot it out the back faster . therefore jets " suck " thier way through the atmosphere ! ! :lol:

Hi Radu,

That is very good news. Will it be a complete resin kit or will it have vacuumformed parts as well?

Interesting that you mention the problem with the drawings. A few years ago I wanted to build the 1:32 nightfighter version of the Ar 234B Hecht using the Hasegawa 1:48 version as a reference. When I compared the Hasegawa kit with several of my drawings (the MAP plan, a scaled up factory drawing of the tail, an Ar 234C drawing and a sideview drawing from the handbook) I noticed that the tail of the Hasegawa kit belonged to the A version, the wing resembled the C version and that something was wrong with the engine nacelles. I assumed that Hasegawa measured up the NASM bird so either the drawings were wrong of that the aircraft in the NASM was a non-standard aircraft made of whatever parts were available. Not knowing what as right or wrong I shelved the project.

Regards,

Hans

Radu

I knew it (literally). This is very exciting news for a sad old luftwaffe fanatic. These will sell like hotcakes.

Are you going to set it up so that a four engined 'C' can be done? I shall watch this with baited breath. I suppose its too early to venture a price?

Matt

Hi Matt,

A C can be done, but let us have a B first. :D It is way too early to talk about prices yet.

Radub,

Let me get u'er address and can send u the exact plans i got from someone if u didn't get the plans in the kit.I have an extra copy of them.Let me know if u wish for me to send them to u.Larry

Hi Larry,

I have the drawings that come with the kit. I have two copies.

All existing drawings (including Monogram, AJ Press and Aero Detail) are similar to it. Those drawings look the part, but they are wildly innacurate. For a "taste", compare the drawing's elevators with the real things. ;) The wings are wrong (with the aileroins and flaps so wrong it's not even funny). The engines are wrong. Fuselage cross sections are wrong. Fin is wrong. In fact, pretty much everything is wrong. Richard Caruana did a set of drawings as well, but apart from a corrected fin, the drawings duplicate the mistakes from the drawings described above. There is a set of Russian drawings on one of the pirate sites but they are very inaccurate. The only correct drawings available out there are the few published German factory drawings.

I drew my own drawings and I also got some help from Mr. Arthur Bentley who gave me a large amount of original German factory drawings, never published before.

Radu,

Thanks for announcing this today, rather than yesterday. :lol:

Charles Metz

I know... it is not a joke though.

Ahhhhhhhhh one of the few jets I like ! ! I remember seeing a master years ago on Craftworks site , but it never came to anything . Great news Radu ! I know you will work wonders with a new one . :P

AND NOW --- ( this is a joke by the way ya jet jockeys ! heh heh )

My theory on Props vs jets ( snikker ) :)

propellor aircraft truly fly paddling those blades through the air .

However -----

jets draw air in their noses and shoot it out the back faster . therefore jets " suck " thier way through the atmosphere ! ! :lol:

Hi Umiresin,

I do not want to dismiss anyone else's work, but the photos of the Craftowrks parts on their website look like they were based on the drawings I mentioned above. The wings, fuselage cross sections and fin are definitely wrong anyway.

I will have some photos tomorrow. I am priming the wings right now.

Here is the wheel I showed you a few weeks ago.

Radu

post-683-1175538636.jpg

Hi Radu,

That is very good news. Will it be a complete resin kit or will it have vacuumformed parts as well?

Interesting that you mention the problem with the drawings. A few years ago I wanted to build the 1:32 nightfighter version of the Ar 234B Hecht using the Hasegawa 1:48 version as a reference. When I compared the Hasegawa kit with several of my drawings (the MAP plan, a scaled up factory drawing of the tail, an Ar 234C drawing and a sideview drawing from the handbook) I noticed that the tail of the Hasegawa kit belonged to the A version, the wing resembled the C version and that something was wrong with the engine nacelles. I assumed that Hasegawa measured up the NASM bird so either the drawings were wrong of that the aircraft in the NASM was a non-standard aircraft made of whatever parts were available. Not knowing what as right or wrong I shelved the project.

Regards,

Hans

Hi Hans,

The kit will be resin with some photoetched and white metal parts. The canopy may be resin or vacform - we will cross that bridge whwn we get to it. :lol:

The Hasegawa kit is actually quite correct and matches the drawings I got from Arthur Bentley perfectly. It also matches the NASM plane.

Radu

Hi Radu

This is really great news. I'm been waiting for someone to make this for many years. I had high hopes for Craftworks, but alas.

Seeing your earlier work with the Hurricane and Tony, I think this project could't be in better hands. Really looking forward to this!!! And like Charles I'm glad you didn't announce this yesterday :lol:

Regards

Roy

Hi Radub I don't know if you can give anything away but are there anymore ID vacs in the pipeline to be modified? I remember some years ago MDC got a hold of the line so I was just wondering, I sure would like the C though :lol:

Graham.

Have to seriously consider saving up money for this one as there has been no other kit other then a vac. The work you do is excellent hence the quality of the kit will be par none. l will be looking forward to seeing more as the weeks progress.

hacker :lol: :lol:

I think this will be interesting, and should be complimented with a KI-45 NICK :lol:

While we're dreaming, I'd like to put in my bid for a Hs 129, a mean-looking twin-engined aircraft that isn't terribly large in 1/32 scale and for which many nifty camouflage and marking schemes are known.

Charles Metz