Jump to content
Allok

Nakajima B5N2 Kate: FINISHED

Recommended Posts

Thanks for all the comments gents!

 

Considering my limited abilities, the end result has been a pleasant surprise for me also. I haven’t had this much fun with a model in ages.

 

The original idea for building this model was to assess the viability of copying it out of plastic sheet. I figured the best way was to build the paper one first, just to see how it went together.

Doing it in plastic would iron out a few of the wrinkles (like the dodgy cowl) and give the opportunity to add a lot more realistic detail to the wheel wells, the engine and especially the cockpits.

 

How did I do the canopy?

 

The outer canopy frames all cut out and glued in place on the model. I coloured the inside of the frames before I cut them out. I then used the inner set of frames as templates to cut windows from thin acetate. (Actually ex-packaging)

After applying a tiny bit of glue to the inside of leading window frame, the small bits of clear plastic were slid into place from the rear. As the canopies are stepped, this was a reasonably straight forward procedure. It was tricky, though, and I did get lots of glue on myself! (Again!)

 

There are a few scratch-built bits of plastic on this model;

The rear machine gun, the pitot and the prop shaft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not having been on for a while I missed the end of this.

What a beauty!

Well done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest UMIRESIN

-_- Morning All

Well this build , and I am impressed by it also by the way . answered that question for me too Allok . plastic sheet as I mentioned once can be made much more mallable by " working it " carefull bending can soften/weaken it without going to the point of breaking it . It takes a bit of practice , but it CAN be done . When getting to a tapered end you sometimes need to cut out a thin wedge & rejoin here with superglue to achieve the shape .

I kinda self learned the technique as I said doing my 1/32 FW-Condor , and recently the floats on my new build REX still in progress . Watching this neat build of yours here shows me your idea of transferring the parts shapes to sheet can work very well .

I've always wanted a 1/32 " Kate " myself on the shelf so this looks like it may be the way to get one .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stunning...it's not very often that I'm actually inspired to try something different, but this has done it...

 

Gonna rip into that kit I got from ssculptor!

 

J

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Two very safe mice! (Shadow has taken the day/week/month off)

 

post-1256-1177204215.jpg

Allok

Your black cat looks just like mine, named LeRoi.

I wonder why.

Over the years we have had up to 11 of the critters at one time in the house - Hell on the mice!

We lost the toughest one, "Battlecat" a couple years ago, she thought a moving car was a large mouse.

It was hard to determine Battlecat's real color as she was always diving into whatever I was working on. Ever try to get polyester resin off a curious cat?

LeRoi, being overweight and a bit clumbsy, just falls all over the compooter keyboard while I'm typing.

Now LeRoi just attacks mice, chipmonks, mailmen, things like that.

Stephen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The completed model;

 

Pictures165.jpg

 

Pictures163-1.jpg

 

Pictures161-1.jpg

 

Seems I found a use for some of those old Hasegawa Luftwaffe pilots. (Needless to say, they didn't look particularly Germanic)

 

 

Well someone was looking at this and I just saw it MYSELF... WOW !! STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFULLLY Built KATE. :party0023: :m0152:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×