Nakajima J8N-1 Kikka

Hacker

hackster, If you were going to coat the surface with some leveling compound, you might try pre-glueing indicator strips of plastic around the fuse; these could then be used as screed boards to achieve a consistant thickness. WHEW! I barely got that out, does it make sense?? :lol:

Like flap indicators I guess mike...a really good idea.

Dental acrylic resin will stick really well to the plasticard Dave...really...really. well.

It can be sanded, repaired easily and finished to a glossy surface. It will also scribe really well. I've only used it for small things and have been finding it good value and very strong even in thin sections. Paul Budzik would be able to give you more info though....I think Pauls been using it for ages ( even though he's only a young fella ;) :D ) so I'd double check with him...just an idea.

Very very ambitious but ...man...inspirational. I reckon Matt and Jean kicked all this off with their BV and Spitt scratchwork. Gotta love LSP for getting in and having a go.

Cheers Matty

Well did some work on the kikka on this long weekend. Things are a bit slow on this end of things as its really turning out to be a harder then l figured but what the heck

post-542-1179797454.jpg

here is the cockpit floor all primed ready for the interior colour

Guest UMIRESIN

:) It looks good so far Dave -keep it up , just take a deep breathe :lol: Scratchbuilding in sheet is a " whole new world " ain't it ? the best part is you also teach yourself new techniques at the same time . mistakes are actually sometimes a good thing as you modify as you go sometimes . there's nothing like a challenge to keep your mind fresh .

Now me ? if I were to attempt a " Kikka " , I'd use my formers / organic clay technique I self learned & slush cast the thing ;) . of course I almost enjoy the mess I make . Wings / tailplanes/ rudder / fin out of sheet , or a touch of " kitbashing of course .

Just for fun I taped the outer wings from an old broken 1/48th B-26 Marauder together . I see here where you could alter something like these easily into the wings for a 1/32 " Kikka " -a liberal dose of sanding & a bit of re-shaping required :rolleyes: , you could even cut a " strategic "" wedge span wise if needed & rejoin - This is exactly the wing I modified 25 plus years back when building my scratchbuilt Macchi202 shapes s shapes -parts s parts they say :lol:

the span of this taped B-26 wing is over 16 inches , so theres plenty of material to work with that's for sure . The Macchi here shows how much one can change things -the base kit was a Revell Ki-61 B) added to it are 1/72 He111 parts reshaped into the fin /rudder/tailplanes -the rear fuselage is a chopped n channeled Revell Zero . A few inaccuracies on this Macchi ? you betcha ! BUT i sure had fun building it & sneaking it on tables at shows a 1/2 century or so ago just to watch the reactions seeing a 1/32 Macchi

post-1661-1179842356.jpg

post-1661-1179842851.jpg