359th FG Green Nose-what's the F.S. # for that???

Dave,

Here are the fuselage codes for the squadrons with the 359th FG.Have the history of the mighty eighth and it's been alot of help for me.The following is for O.D. A/C that were white letters codes.

CV-368th

IV-369th

CR-370th

They were a bright green and had a 24 inch cowl band until late march.And for the rudder colors they were as follows.

368th-yellow

369th-red

370th-dark blue

And for the fuselage codes as to the above and NMF A/C as to the P-51.The colors were black.Let me know if i can help u out.Larry

Dave,

The green i used for my B model is the small bottle of green that testers makes.It just about matched the green from the profiles i have in the book i told u i had.And for getting a color code or say a color chip.That one is going to be hard to find,let alone be right on the money.But the green i told u about does the trick.LArry

Dave,

According to page 125 of 'Mighty Eighth Warpaint & Heraldry,' by Freeman (Arms & Armour Press [uK], 1997; 160 pages), "The shade of green was generally a medium green but could vary, sometimes owing to fade." Two color photos on page 124 of that book and the four on page 96 of '359th Fighter Group,' by Smith (Osprey Aviation Elite series, No. 10; Osprey [uK], 2002; 128 pages) -- which include the first two but seem better reproduced there than in the Freeman book -- suggest to me a color somewhere between FS 34138 (which seems a bit too intense and not quite yellow enough) for a newly painted nose to FS 34259 for a more weathered example, as shown on one aircraft in a line-up of several in both books I've cited. Although old color photographs provide a notoriously unrelabale basis for judging real-life colors, I feel confident in concluding from the photos I've found that the green used on 359th FG noses was not a camouflage color and was not the very bright "Irish" green often portrayed in profile art. Since no original examples of those painted noses have survived, as far as I know, and FS numbers weren't used in WW2, a subjective estimate of this kind may be as close as we can come.

Charles Metz