Aeroclub 1/32 Pitts Special Vacuform

JimRice

• 4 weeks later...

I actually worked on this project and my 1/32 F4B-4 tonight. I sanded down the top wing in preparation for repainting. The white had slightly yellowed stored in the original box, while the fuselage and lower wing, sitting in the open on a shelf is fine. I also cleaned the horizontal tail surfaces as well for repaint for the same reason. I hope to get back to painting it by next week. I hope...

On another note, my brother called me today and told me he just bought an S-1S Pitts. So it looks like I'll once again be getting to fly a Pitts again occasionally. This is his third S1S. It will be the 4th S1S I've flown. They are loads of fun. Need to check the repack date on my parachute...

Edited by JimRice

I sanded down the top wing and reshot the white base. Then I promptly screwed it up while working on a frisket paper mask. So I stripped it down and will wet sand and reshoot it again. :( I'm going to have to let the white paint cure for many days before trying again.

After a couple of failed attempts, I'm going to try cutting masks to cover white areas to shoot red. Trying to mask the sunburst scheme by masking has been unsuccessful because of the tiny corners. So, to make the masks, I built a small light box to use cutting the mask. I had some acrylic sheet and LED lights left over from my recent spray booth project so I built this.

ZnxpzS.jpg

Here it is with computer generate graphic with frisket paper laid over it. Worked well. Once cut I'll use drawing below to lay out blue tape to lay frisked against for alignment.

C2Fov2.jpg

Edited by JimRice

Nice!  I struggled with the starburst on my Pitts and ended up creating templates and then cut individual triangle-shaped masks for each white area.  It was a bugger to get everything lined up and symmetrical - your idea looks much better.  Looking forward to seeing your results.

Cheers!

John.

Today I restored the rib details I sanded off along with most of the paint. I used 0.8mm half round stock over existing ribs locations. Sanded everything down and brush some Mr Surfacer 500 on. When dry, I wet sanded. When finish painted, it should be fairly subtle. This is same technique I used on underside of horizontal tail surfaces after I filled and flattened with putty.

[url=https://imageshack.com/i/pmvSmUXsj]vSmUXs.jpg[/img]

Left sanded, right just glued down.

[url=https://imageshack.com/i/pog41nuRj]g41nuR.jpg[/img]

After first wet sanding after adding rib detail.

[url=https://imageshack.com/i/poLqe7Usj]Lqe7Us.jpg[/img]

Primered and wet sanded. Rib detail will be more subdued after priming and paint.

[url=https://imageshack.com/i/pnu9fJM5j]u9fJM5.jpg[/img]

Top wing with fuselage and lower wings. I also added rear cabane struts. Small and fidely they were a paint. Reinforced bottom attach point of upper wing and fitted and everything appeared straight...yay.

[url=https://imageshack.com/i/pozs6B7lj]zs6B7l.jpg[/img]

• 2 years later...

I am back on this long-term project today. Purchased in 1983-84 while in college.  A year or two later, I cut out and rough fit most the parts.  Then the Army, marriage, kids, flying, Army retirement and a second career got in the way with only occasionally fiddling with it and thinking about it. 

Most the actual construction was done in early 2000s and has been on and off since too.   I’ve rebuilt the top wing a couple of times after failed painting attempts resulting in having to sand it down, build up the ribs again with 1/2 round, prime, sand down and start over.  Just shot a fresh coat of white on top today.  Also used Camero cutter to cut N number stencil and painted today as well as getting top of lower  wings and fin/rudder sunburst rays painted.  I have created a frisket stencil to paint red on top wing.   

Aeroclub 1/32 Pitt S-1S (four ailerons) back dates to S-1C (two ailerons). I picked back up today on this long-term start and stop project.   It has literally been in the making since early 80s when kit was purchased and first parts were removed from carrier sheet.  Most the actual construction was done in early 2000s and has been on and off since.   

I’ve rebuilt the top wing a couple of times after failed painting attempts resulting in having to sand it down, build up the ribs again with 1/2 round, sand down and start over.  Just shot a fresh coat of white on top today.  Also used Camero cutter to cut N number stencil and painted today as well as getting top of lower right wing sunburst rays painted.  I have created a frisket stencil to paint red on top wing.   

N66Y was built in 1962-63 by my dad.  He flew it for a bit and sold it to Bob Herendeen who won US National Aerobatic Competition with it and competed in International Aerobatic Competition in Moscow in it in 1966.  This plane is now owned by EAA and on loan to Aircraft Spruce in Peachtree City, GA where it hangs in their lobby.

Knkape.jpg

cvVyRh.jpg

FwTfXY.jpg

All 1/32 scale...

Bf85UK.jpg

mJMg8K.jpg

KJiPbO.jpg

Success! Top of top wing painted in one go tonight.  I cut a mask on my Cameo and used it tonight to paint all the top sunburst in one shot. I’ve tried this one stripe at a time a couple of times without success. Finally, something I’ve been wondering how the heck I was going to do is done...well, half way done.  I still have to do the bottom of the top wing yet.  I think I will give the top a few days to dry before it hit the bottom.  Though, the full mask will make this another hours work to apply mask and shoot paint.  once bottom is done, I have a few little touch ups needed and paint will be done.  

I still lack the sunburst on bottom side of horizontal tail surfaces.  Again, thanks to Cameo cut masks, I did tops in on shot.  

Hard to believe I might actually assemble this little bugger soon.  I loved the construction of this kit, my first vacuform; the paint job, not so much.  I actually took another copy of this kit down recently and contemplated cutting the parts from the carrier...  Sanity overcame me and I put it away.  I’m finishing this one before I fall to temptation for another...35 year project!!!

I have two other vacs I may approach first.  A 1/32 Globe GC-1B Swift by Ghost Models or a 1/72 Stinson SM-6000 Trimotor I don’t recall who made it.  I owned and flew a Swift for many years and as a kid my dad owned a Stinson Trimotor we flew around to airshows and fly-ins.   Then, of course, I still have three 1/32 Stearman kits in the que...Roden (1) and Silverwings (2) and then the soon to be release ICM Stearman.  

I’ll need to live to be 120 to finish all my stash unless I never go back to work in the office.  

Ironically, I had only planned tonight to be a dry run as I didn’t know if I could get the mask done my first try.  When it went on almost flawlessly, I went ahead and shot the paint in multiple light coats before a final wet coat.  

G2LBp1.jpg

I removed the horizontal surfaces from carrier leaving a slight ridge around the outer edge of bottom side.  I then skim coated the underside with putty.  Once dried, I sanded down flat and rounded edges.  Finally I glued on 1/2 round O.020 plastic stock using liquid cement t to simulate ribs.  I then sanded the 1/2 round stock down until is was simply a slight raised spot to feel it.  Quite subtle but noticeable ribs on underside.  Sanded down top side as well as they were a bit oversized IMO. 

Painting is finished.  Finally.  Glued horizontal tail feathers on tonight.  Also pulled a new canopy from mold I made several years ago due to badly yellowed kit canopy.  Cut our windshield, fitted and painted lower edge where fairing attaches to fuselage.  Discarded canopy as N66Y never had one, just a windshield per original plans.   Set top wing in place, held by rubber bands at the moment.  Have attach windshield which was drying prior to epoxying top wing in place.  Still need to paint tailwheel assembly and exhaust stacks (both white metal as are prop and I-struts).   Last item will be epoxying wheels/pants to gear legs and removing the crossbar between axles, but will likely wait until after adding flying wires to wings and tail.  

Note both real plane and kit are missing windshield in first photo...neither were quite complete at that stage. ;)

I’m getting close to ending this 35 year project...

pmaVghK1j

pnLLyPGzj

pmBdvcDuj

posFARApj

pmFi1Xoij

poVFJIDEj