Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Mk1a

RWKennard

• 8 months later...

Hi Richard,

Just found this post looking for build images for research for the Airfix 1/24th Spit 1a kit I bought yesterday.

Bloody hell mate, this is the bollocks!

How did you get all the wording done for the cockpit? You know, chassis, danger etc?

Unbloodyreal!

Cheers,

Nick

(PS: The Hurricane Merlin's still sitting on my desk. Been a bit distracted with work and family to pack and send it, but it'll be on the way soon..)

hi richard,

i must echo nick----your treatment of the old lady is superb----i must have built seven or eight of these since they very first arrived on the scene but good 'though i thought they were--well, they just don't stack up to yours. your'e doing her justice and then some.

dave.

What would you say are the shortcomings of this kit chaps?

From my brief looking at the sprues so far, I'd say the following needs attention:

1. The rivet detail all over the kit needs knocking back.

2. The cowling panel access holes need sanding back and rescribing.

3. The cockpit needs a lot of scratchbuilding in terms of sidewall gubbins etc, a new seat housing frame.

Anything I'm missing out on so far?

Cheers,

Nick

hi nick, i disagree about the rivet detail---the mark 1 -V had domed rivets from cockpit area back on fuselage flush rivets in this area were not considered worth the extra production that would come from the easier domed (indeed a tial was done with a flush fuse. which was then covered in glued on split peas!!!!!!! to simulate domed rivets and any speed benefit checked---the benefits were minimal )

my humble op. is that the rivets are o.k. on the old lady. what does need attention--if nothing else are the externally moulded on strenghteners at wing tips(upper and lower) and wing root fairings and the exhausts if doing a mk.1 and of course the wheel wells. these i would call 'essential' ---- then as much more as each individual feels like and enjoys---enjoyment and personal satisfaction being the 'name of the game'. she's a lovely lady, iv'e been intimate with her many times since she very first came to town.

cheers,

dave.

• 10 years later...
5 minutes ago, Guyman1 said:

sad that has some real potential for the Dinosaur that kit is

Yeah, there are a lot of abandoned WIP threads Id love to have seen what happened in the end to them. Some people come and go, and a shame we never get to know in the end.