Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Mk1a

RWKennard

Hey there Ango

Thanks for your input. The throttle is the kit part.

I figured it looked better than what I could scratch build!

you're joking Richard? That's amazing......The throttle included in my Airfix spit kit was all warped and looked really bad. Yours looks bloody good. Oh well, it's the luck of the draw what defects occur with various parts in these old kits sometimes, I guess? :D

Cheers mate

Ango

• 1 month later...

Superb stuff; what I'm going to add is, in no way, a criticism, and it's up to you, if you ignore some, or all. At the moment, I'm researching the Spitfire, with particular emphasis on the mods, and I've found several oddball items:- the seat, in the Airfix kit, is unique to Westland-built airframes; the fitting, with the holes, under the pilot's thighs, was for Very pistol cartridges, on Seafires, though Westland used the same seat on their Spitfires. Original Westland seats had a double row of holes, later (15-5-45)reduced to a single row.

Until 27-7-40 the rudder pedals only had a single crossbar, and the toestraps weren't deleted until 21-2-44.

Crowbars weren't fitted until 4-11-41.

The "plastic" seat was introduced (as an extra, not a replacement) 14-5-40; before that dateall were metal.

Seat armour was introduced 6-2-40.

Rear-view mirrors weren't factory-fitted until 24-9-40, although I've seen stories of pilots "raiding" car showrooms before that date!

I hope that this might be some help.

Edgar

P.S. To avoid any possible confusion, the dates are the U.K. system d/m/y

Hi Richard,

That cockpit is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. You've improved vastly on the kit parts and the whole thing looks so... right. The extra work you've put in is really paying off. My hat's off to you Sir!

Cheers, Jean

Hey guys

Thanks for the feed back.

Big Kev; I can't wait to get some paint on the thing aswell! Kinda forgotten what paint smells like!!!

How is your painting working out on your 190?

Edger; Thanks for the dates of the mods. I've found some odd details in the standard kit! Makes me wonder what

airframe the team from Airfix studied when the kit was produced!

Alan; Yip! Once a fan always a fan! Something about the Mk1 With its black spinner, Dk earth and Dk green camo the makes

it so cool!

Jean; Thank you. Coming from you thats a great compliment. You have set the bar I'm just trying to imitate it!

Rigger; Thanks. Its been a lot of fun adding the detail! Still a wee way to go though!

Hopefully more to come soon!

Thanks for looking

Richard :rolleyes:

Hey guys

Thanks for the feed back.

Big Kev; I can't wait to get some paint on the thing aswell! Kinda forgotten what paint smells like!!!

How is your painting working out on your 190?

Slow and troublesome (a bit like me really :rolleyes: ). My thread is still active so I won't pollute your wonderful build with talk of mine!

Kev

Edger; Thanks for the dates of the mods. I've found some odd details in the standard kit! Makes me wonder what airframe the team from Airfix studied when the kit was produced!

Richard :rolleyes:

From what I've been told, it's the Mk.I, hanging up in the Imperial War Museum; it seems Airfix got to it, just as it had been taken down, for cleaning. It explains why the colour, quoted in the old Patrick Stevens book, looks nothing like the "standard" grey-green. Genuine, unrebuilt, Mk.I Spitfires are as rare as hen's teeth, and they have to hang it up, where you can't get at it :angry:

If you can find a copy of the SAM Modellers Datafile, on the Merlin Spitfires, there's a very good series of photos, of a Mk.I, and the green looks very different. There's a Mk.I, about 2 miles, from here, but it's a Westland-built airframe, so is the "normal" green.

Edgar

Hi Richard, i have really been looking forward to the next update on this wonderful build. Man that is neat work you've done in the 'pit! So precise and as Jean says, a massive improvement on the standard OOB cockpit. Beautiful work. Can't wait to see more of this superb build.

Keep up the great work mate

Cheers

Ango

Hey Ango

Once again thanks for your comments. Hopefully getting the cockpit done will all the hard work out of the way!

Then thing might get moving a bit quicker!

Cheers

Richard ;)