Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Mk1a

RWKennard

Hello all

Once again thanks for the comments. Its really giving motivation to get this bird finished!

Well I've been busy getting the engine and prop done today.

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

IMG_0893.jpg

The prop was painted with Tamiya spraypaint Bare metal. Then coated with black and yellow tips.

Then the fun part was picking the paint off with a scalpal!

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0894.jpg

The fire wall was scratch built. Still learning as I go hence alot of detail missing!

IMG_0897.jpg

Thats all for now. Thanks for looking.

Richard. :blink:

• 1 month later...

Hello all

Well finally made a start on the cockpit! Added a bit of detail here and there.

Long way to go yet!

IMG_0909.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0906.jpg

Thanks for looking. Still haven't sorted out the markings for it yet! So many to choose from!

Cheers

Richard.

Hi Richard, I'd say Geoff found the right word to describe this build, "pristine"! Really nice and crisp. Just be warned that the Airfix seat is massively overscale and could crowd out any detail you might want to add to the sidewalls. I'm looking forward to future instalments.

Jean

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone

Thanks Ironwing, Ian and Studly for your input. I think my photography skills (or lack of!) might be the reason things don't look so bad!

Jean, thanks for your comments. I was wondering about the seat. I compared it to the Hurricane seat and it is considerably wider. Will be a bit of a tight fit down the sidewalls.

Got the seat armour finished. I used .015'' plastic card. Also made the head cushion out of Tamiya epoxy putty.

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0940.jpg

Modified the Warbirds Production control stick. Removed the later type gun switch and replaced it with the older round one.

IMG_0943.jpg

Thats all for now.

Cheers Richard :D

Never get enough of these :D . Can only echo the sentiments so far, very clean and crisp Richard

I can see another lost hour or two looking at someone elses work looming... <_<

• 1 month later...

Hi there folks

Well its been awhile since I have a chance to do any model. Nice rainy day today so no excuses!

Made a good start on the cockpit side walls.

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

Finished the rudder contol and trottle. Also made a punch and die set to make the fastners for the head armour.

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0962.jpg

Hope to get more done soon.

Thanks for looking.

Richard :rolleyes:

Richard, you're doing the old girl proud. As your build is proving, the Airfix Spit iprovides a really sound basis for detailing, and is far more accurate than the Trumpeter one. It's nice to see the cockpit starting to come together and I can hardly wait to see it painted up.

Jean

Me too. This is one of my all time favorites , dare i say it i remember it when it first came out in i think

1970. For a kit of this age the surface detail is spot on except maybe the rivets which would benefit from a

little sanding , Although the Trumpeter kits detail is much more crisp not everyone likes the surface detail

which to me looks like lots of tiny holes , but the biggest howler in the Trumpeter kit is the windscreen

which sits to upright and looks awfull. My moneys on the Airfix Spit , and with some new wheels from

contact Resin you should end up with a nice looking model. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Hello all

Well its been a long time since I posted any updates on my Spitfire. With a little inspiration from Ango this week I finally got some more done!

Just putting the final details on the port side of the cockpit.

IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_1117_4.jpg

The trottle is only tacked on at this stage. The starboard side isn't to far away from being done either.

Hopefully update this week some time!

Thanks for looking.

Richard :lol:

G'day Richard,

mate, it's quite obvious you don't need any inspiration from me...because this spit of yours is superb. :D

The detailing work you've done in the cockpit is so clean and neat, the precision is really great to see. I can't wait to see more pics of this build as it progresses.

One quick question....how'd you make that throttle quadrant? Looks fantastic!

Keep it up mate!

Cheers

Ango

Hey there Ango

Thanks for your input. The throttle is the kit part.

I figured it looked better than what I could scratch build!

Starting to build up some steam in the motivation department so hopefully there

will be some progress to share with you all soon!

Cheers

Richard :D