Count me in - P51B Mustang - Red Tail: FINISHED

Adrian A.

Have you ever had one of those day's (or couple of day's), when no matter what you do - it's wrong?

Well, 'Ina's' been very trying with me over the last few day's.

I started off with trying to remove the remaining tape residue from the paint.

I used warm soap/water, & alcohol with no results (& the tape was low tack painters tape).

Soooo... I tried Goo Gone.

Bad idea - It immediately took off the first layer of paint & left a dull coat.

Not a problem, I thought - I'll try a little rub & buff to 'fix' it.

Now - I'm sure it wasn't the rub & buff's fault (probably the applier) but that didn't work either.

So I removed the rub & buff with turpenoid - avoided flinging 'Ina' against the wall & went to bed.

These pics are from last night's episode.

post-177-1174450625.jpg

I started the night off tonight with a different tack.

I decided to mask off the affected spots & shoot a recoat of just a single color - the multicolor effect is proving to much for my tape/masking/removing skills or lack thereof.

I shot a coat of Krylon chrome & it came out pretty nice IMHO.

That is until I took off the tape - (which happens to be a brand new roll of ultra low tack painters tape I bought TONIGHT!!)

It peeled up some of the older paint!!

If I said I was so frustrated I wanted to cry - would I sound like a sissy??

Anyway - not being a girly-man - I didn't cry & I restrained from flinging 'Ina' against the wall for the second night in a row - (she's a lucky one for sure!!!)

Here are a few pics of the damaged paint.

Notice the paint peeled halfway the panel on the fuse.

post-177-1174451169.jpg

Pic 2 shows the damage on the wing by the gunbay.

I know I've obviously done something wrong with the painting, perhaps waiting too long/not long enough between coats or something.

I'll have to figure it out before I do the paint on my 1/24 Mustang though.

post-177-1174451382.jpg

At least the prop I started on tonight came out fine.

Started it off with a base coat of Krylon chrome - I'll shoot the black on it tomorrow I hope.

I did get the panel by the gunbay fixed after carefully peeling the rest of the paint off with my knife then I sanded it down with 1000 grit sand paper & reshot the Krylon chrome. It came out fine - EXCEPT the tape residue on a panel.

One of those nights again!!

I'll take care of it later!

Thanks for looking.

Adrian A.

post-177-1174451919.jpg

I have those types of episodes all the time Adrian, so you're by no means alone :)

I think you've done bloody good work with this Mustang, and despite the little paint hiccups, it'll look damn good in the end, as long as you stick with it!

If it helps, I did the metal finish of my 1/24 Mustang with a combination of Tamiya spray AS-12 (then buffed with SnJ polishing powder), and actual Bare Metal foil. I call it a 'mixed media' approach, and found it worked OK. Here is the link to my build:

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.ph...hl=Detroit+Miss

Keep up the great work Adrian, and don't give up.....the worst day modelling is better than the best day at work!

Cheers

Ango

Thanks Ango, I appreciate the words & link, it seems like a good part of this build has been one of those types of episodes!! But it's getting close & I'm not going to give up on it.

Anyway, speaking of one of those episodes - I had another one of them last night. I masked off the two damaged panels with Tamiya masking tape & some cling film.

Would you believe the Tamiya tape left as much or more residue on the paint??

I'm at a loss with the residue thing - three times is the charm.

post-177-1175052661.jpg

I always seem to be taking one step forward & two steps back.

The paint had been dried & cured for two days before I masked the panels off & sprayed them.

The tape wasn't on the model for more than a half hour.

I guess it may have something to do with me using the rattle can spray paints perhaps.

I've decided it's past the point of being frustrated and / or aggrevated, I've decided to fix it the best I can & move on.

Pick 2 shows the other residue area.

post-177-1175052947.jpg

I decided to move on as I said - so last night I sanded the two affected areas after trying to clean up the residue to no avail, then I brushed on some ModelMaster Aluminum enamel. - Fixed!!

Tonight I brushed a coat of Future over 'Ina' except for where I'll be applying the red paint for the tail & wing tips & also the yellow strips on the wings. I'll be masking over Future when I spray any more paint & see how that helps.

Hopefully tomorrow 'Ina' will get her 'Red Tail' - at least thats the plan.

post-177-1175053371.jpg

I've also been working on the canopy framing over the last couple of day's.

I was a little bummed out after not being able to fix my Rutman canopy so I decided to spruce up the kit canopy a little.

It's been a bit hard for me working on all this freehand - I'm going to have to find me some sort of jig to hold all this stuff while I'm working on it!

post-177-1175053713.jpg

I also worked on the gear doors tonight - I've a bit busy on 'Ina' tonight!!

I want to have her finished for the deadline!

Unfortunately, I think 'Ina' has other plans.

It seems like 'Ina's' fighting me all the way.

I sprayed a coat of Krylon Chrome over black primer just like I've sprayed over the aircraft, yet on the main gear doors, the paint crinkled!

What's up with that??!

Almost everything was the same, with the exception of MAYBE the humidity - I'm at a loss to explain it.

I'll just sand it tomorrow & repaint no big deal.

post-177-1175054167.jpg