Count me in - P51B Mustang - Red Tail: FINISHED

Adrian A.

I tried my hand at using adhesive foil on my gunbay doors. I used the Model Master Ultra thin Krome foil.

I'm not satisfied with the results tho, too many imperfections in the foil & surface. I'll strip off the foil tomorrow and sand the covers a bit more.

I also found that cutting the foil a bit bigger helped a bit on the last piece, duh! Guess I'll try again after a few days.

I think it'll look fine once I work out the kinks & add a little surface detail.

Adrian A.

post-177-1170996549.jpg

Hi Guy's,

I managed to finally do some work on 'Ina' tonight.

I wasn't able to do any painting this past weekend because the temps. were a little to low.

I did do a little more sanding & masking over the weekend to hopefully spray some paint tonight.

This pic is of 'Ina' in my homemade spraybooth.

Adrian A.

post-177-1171334188.jpg

I sprayed gloss black over 'Ina' misting it on from about 12" or so. I used a light spray & several coats over the span of 1 1/2 - 2 hours, waiting 30 minutes between coats.

This pic is of the overall look of 'Ina' in gloss black 'primer'.

For some reason the paint is not at all smooth. I'm thinking a pooched paint job here!

Adrian A.

post-177-1171334557.jpg

This pic of the wing is the effect I was talking about, kind of a rough, gritty feel to it.

I cleaned the spraybooth & cover the plane with a box as it dried, outside temp was 66 F.

What did I do wrong?

Adrian A.

post-177-1171334755.jpg

This pic of the cockpit area shows that the effect was not universal on 'Ina'. As a matter of fact, this area & some others came out nearly perfect, while other areas came out like the wing.

Sooo.... what can I do to fix her guy's - re-sand? or strip it off?

Any hints on this would be greatly appreciated!!

Adrian A.

post-177-1171334958.jpg

This shot shows that about a third of 'Ina' came through OK.

I guess I'll try to save her after the paint cures a bit & I'll be able to sand, unless someone knows how to remove spray enamel without damaging the plastic.

Adrian A.

post-177-1171335698.jpg

I think I may know what happened to my paint job, it may have been the paint!.

After my last post, I decided to try another coat before the paint fully cured, a little heavier than a misting.

Well.. the finish came out a lot smoother (tho a bit heavier than I'd hoped), but it's not a gloss finish, it's more of a flat/satin finish.

I guess I'll take a look at it tomorrow, then break out with the sand paper.

Adrian A,

post-177-1171342087.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I got back to work on 'Ina' today - it seemed that life just kept getting in the way of modelling!

Anyway, after I thought I had pooched the black 'primer' coat & I gave it a little heavier coat I set it aside for a while & just couldn't get back to it.

When I looked at it a couple of days later, the finished looked fine - only a few spots that I had to work on.

I shot the first or 'base' coat of NMF - I had used a rattlecan Krylon Alminum before but this time used a Rust-oleum metallic aluminum.

I'm satisfied with the first coat although I've noticed several areas that I'll need to rework. I'll rework those spots then 'highlight' those areas/panels with a different shade/color of aluminum or chrome - I have six other colors that I'm hoping to experiment with.

Adrian A.

post-177-1172637382.jpg

I had a feeling that I was going to mess up this coat like I had on the black so I was extra careful.

But it seems (at least for me!) that you can never be careful enough & I had a small spot behind the windows on the spine that somehow didn't come out right.

Well, that panel is just going to wind up a different color after I smooth it down with a 1500/2000 grit sandpaper.

It's odd, but the paint only messed up in that one little spot (gotta be the painter, not the paint I'm sure!). The other areas that I need to work on is from surface prep.

Adrian A.

post-177-1172637840.jpg

I'll be letting the paint cure for a couple of days at least before I start any prep work on the panels/areas that need it. I'm hoping to try my hand at highlighting those different colored panels this weekend.

After painting 'Ina', I tried my hand at the canopy.

I'm hoping to use one of my Rutman Vac canopy's, if it fits.

If it doesn't fit, I'll try my hand at using a combination of the kit parts & the Rutman canopy.

This is the Rutman canopy before I cut it loose.

Adrian A.

post-177-1172638558.jpg

This shot is of the Rutman canopy cut free from the carrier sheet.

I've got a bad feeling that I probably should have cut the windows free BEFORE I cut the rest loose - it's a tad flimsy now. I'll give it a go & see what happens anyway.

I've got another Rutman canopy if I mess this one up although I'm hoping not to have to use more than one.

I believe that I read somewhere (probably LSP somewhere) that it's better to use silly putty to pack a vac canopy before you cut it to add strength & it has little or no residue. I'll have to try that tomorrow or so.

Adrian A.

post-177-1172638950.jpg

You probably can't tell from my crappy photos, but Jerry Rutman did a great job on the Mustang Canopy. The canopy framing is very delicately & crisply molded. I just hope that I'll be able to do it justice.

Thanks for looking!

Adrian A.

post-177-1172639142.jpg

I finally got back to 'Ina' tonight & worked on the Rutman Vac canopy.

This is my first time working with a vac canopy so I continued to be REALLY careful.

I took my time & masked the areas where my cuts would be.

I also used a plug of 'silly putty' to reinforce the canopy to keep from breaking it.

post-177-1173156736.jpg

It took me quite a while, about an hour or so working off & on to cut the section from the main canopy.

I started off slow & scribed a cut line, then went back over it several times to deepen the cut - that was the worst part for me.

But it came out fine.

post-177-1173157024.jpg