Count me in - P51B Mustang - Red Tail: FINISHED

Adrian A.

The worse area I had on closing the fuse was the lower front. It popped oped before I realized I had not quite correctly aligned the engine - I felt the motor mount pop into place when I tried to close the gap but it was a little too late. I had to work on it for a while before I got it straight. I'll have quite a bit of sanding on this part.

Adrian A.

post-177-1168669459.jpg

This pic is of my test fit on the wings. After reading Ian's post on the gap at the wingroot, I was a little concerned.

I have to say that the fit at the wingroot was surprisingly perfect! It was so tight I almost thought I was going to have to do a little sanding.

It was a relief to have it fit so well. I did initially leave the cockpit floor & radio deck unglued in anticipation of having to shim it with some sheet styrene if a gap was evident.

Adrian A.

post-177-1168669798.jpg

Looking great, mate. Sorry to have caused the concern. As you said, the cockpit spreads it a fair bit!

I've actually worked out that I'm going to have to use a spreader on mine as well, but that's not a problem.

Your build is coming along really well. Keep it up, can't wait to see her finished.

Not to worry Ian, I was anticipating it fitting better than what you had in your pic because of the cockpit. I was surprised that it fit so well, a very pleasant surprise to be sure.

This weekend was almost a bust on working on 'Ina' - been out of town for a good part of it.

I did manage to get to Hobby Lobby yesterday & get a K & S mini tubing cutter. It was one of those 'had to have' tools. I couldn't do the machine guns without it.

The next few pics are of the work I did tonight on 'Ina' - I just had to try out my new cutter, so I did a 'test' run on the machine guns. These are just the blast tubes & barrels protruding from the leading edge - not the gunbay M.G.'s.

I made these out of 3/32 & 1/16 brass tubing, I'll probably redo them now that I've worked the correct size/depth of them out on this test run.

Adrian A.

post-177-1168835250.jpg

Last pic for the night is of the other side - sorry again for the blurry shot.

Like I mentioned, these are just 'test' shots - the final setup will probably run all 4 guns flush with the leading edge. I'll do a goggle search & see if I can come up with a few photo's showing the actual placement.

As far as I know, I don't think they actually protruded as far out as I have the inboard set, although they may be offset a bit.

To be honest, the only reason I have them that far out is I messed up cutting the first one & decided to see what it would look like!

Just trying to have a little fun with it!!

Thanks for looking!

Adrian A.

post-177-1168836528.jpg

I managed to work on 'Ina' again tonight - did a bit of seam work on the fuse.

I had started a little last night (as is evident in the pics I posted of my 'test' machine guns) with two different grit sanding sticks.

Tonight, I smoothed the seams even more with a fine grit sanding stick, then I went with a 500 grit wet dry, then 1000 grit, 1500 grit & finished off with 2000 grit.

I have to admit it's not quite perfect yet but it's getting close enough for me. I'll probably do a little more filler work (on the bottom rear fuse - the seam popped open a bit - I'll have to re-glue & fill tomorrow or so).

The raised detail on the fuse is giving me a bit of a time - I have to be very careful & not to destroy any (or much anyway) detail. I'm not quite sure how I could re-add raised detail.

I've decided not to try my hand at sanding & re-scribing. I've never done it before & I'll be satisfied with 'Ina' when I'm done - I'd rather not pooch the whole job by trying to re-scribe it.

Pic # 1 is of the nose. I've got a little more work on the framing to do. I'll probably fill the holes I drilled, then re-drill them in straight pairs, they don't match up very well as they are now.

Adrian A.

post-177-1168922688.jpg

Pic # 2 shows the top rear fuse.

This area was real tricky - I was concerned about wiping out the rivet detail on such a visible spot. This area took me quite a while. But after four passes with the different grade sandpaper, it came out just fine.

Adrian A.

post-177-1168922892.jpg

Pic # 4 is of the bottom of the nose that gave me such a fit when I was buttoning up the fuse. After quite a bit of sanding it came out pretty good - it needs just a little more attention & it should be fine.

Adrian A.

post-177-1168923462.jpg

Last pic of the night is of the bottom rear fuse - it popped apart when I was handling it in front of the tailwheel.

It shouldn't be to hard but sometimes with this build I think I take two steps forward & one step back!

Thanks for looking!!

Adrian A.

post-177-1168923661.jpg