Jump to content
Adrian A.

Count me in - P51B Mustang - Red Tail: FINISHED

Recommended Posts

I also used the fine mesh screen on the chin scoop. At least it will be visible after it's put together.

My digital camera's batteries died after my first shot on the scoop so all I have of it is when it was still apart.

 

Adrian A.

post-177-1168059293.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guy's,

Did a bit of work on 'Ina's' gunbay.

I'm not that good at scratch-building but this is something I wanted to try.

The first pic is of the gunbay 'hole' in the wing, I used my Dremel to sand down the edges of the bay to try to get it a little better in scale.

 

Adrian A.

post-177-1168138139.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This pic is of the final sanding to get the edge closer in scale. I guess I could have gotten it a little closer, but I didn't want to pooch the edges of the bay any worse than I already had. The edges got pretty flimsy so I thought it was close enough!

 

Adrian A.

post-177-1168138362.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This pic shows the 'framing' on the inside of the wing to mount the gunbay to & to give the compartment a 'lip' to add the fastener holes to.

 

Adrian A.

post-177-1168138491.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This pic shows the gunbay installed in the wing.

It's not perfect but I'm satisfied with it so far.

I'm hoping once the guns & ammo belts are added the minor problems are not visible.

If not, I'll just pull it apart & try again later.

 

 

Adrian A.

post-177-1168138983.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This pic is of the components I'll be using for the gunbay.

The Verlinden M2 .50 cal. machine gun set is nice but the barrels are wrong - I'll probably have to rob 2 guns from my Hasegawa P51D.

The Aber Photo etch set is nice but I won't be able to use much from it other than the ammo belts & maybe one or two other items.

I'm hoping to put a coat of paint on the gunbay before I finish up for the night, but I want to be sure the glue has fully cured first.

Thanks for looking.

 

Adrian A.

post-177-1168139359.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I put a coat of zinc chromate paint on the gunbay, it looks a little better now - at least I'm hoping anyway!

I'm hoping to get to mounting the machine guns & building the ammo chutes (oh boy, those should be a trick!) in the next couple of days.

 

Adrian A.

post-177-1168146263.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also mounted the cockpit into the fuse tonight. I fixed the sidewall problem so I figured it was time to put it in & move on with the build.

I'll mount the radio equipment tomorrow & perhaps I'll find time to plumb the engine compartment also.

Of course I'll have to take a break & bring my grand-daughter to see 'Charlottes Web' but that should be fun.

Thanks for looking!!

 

Adrian A.

post-177-1168146687.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started the day off on 'Ina' by gluing the wings together. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the fit was very tight. I seem to remember the wings as giving me problems in the past. Not so with this build. I think I'll have to use very little putty to get them right.

 

 

Adrian A.

post-177-1168230548.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also mounted the radio deck in the fuse today, along with the tailwheel & duct. I didn't get the chance to plumb the engine but I should get to that tomorrow, I hope!

I'd like to wrap a few more things & get the fuse glued by this weekend.

 

Adrian A.

post-177-1168230746.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll need to put a slight wash on that radio deck before I close up the fuse, it's a little too bright.

I did work a little on the engine tonight, but it wasn't the plumbing.

I worked on drilling out the kit exhausts - it was a test of patience not to rush it. They came out pretty good though.

I took a number of pics but my camera (or the operator) couldn't get it just right - I'm hoping this pic comes out OK. I'll try a few new pics on it tomorrow with a new set of batteries. It seems my camera is eating batteries these days (of course for every pic I post, I take 3 or 4 before I get it right).

 

Adrian A.

post-177-1168231214.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep it up, mate.

Looking really cool. Building the same machine, I'm acutely aware of the challenges you're facing. You made a much better job of the exhausts than I did!

Cheers

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Ian, I appreciate it. The exhausts actually came out pretty good for a change for me!

I wasn't able to do much on 'Ina' today, but I did take another shot (actually 5 before I got a decent one)(I gotta get a new camera!!) of the drilled out exhausts.

 

Adrian A.

post-177-1168319383.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm hoping to plumb those wires in the engine compartment tomorrow. I'm still hoping to button up the fuse by the weekend.

This pic is of the wings which came out surprisingly well IMO for this kit. I did a first pass with the sanding sponge & I'm only going to need to putty a few spots on the leading edge. The trailing edge came out a little worse but still very acceptable for this kit.

Thanks for looking!

 

Adrian A.

post-177-1168319826.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×