Count me in - P51B Mustang - Red Tail: FINISHED

Adrian A.

Adrian

Just been messing about with mine, dry fitting and gluing the engine and the fire-wall.

What's to be done about the massive gap between exhausts and fuselage? Or am I fussing over nothing.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for the comments Erwin & Ian, I appreciate it.

Ian, on the gap between the exhaust & fuselage, I'm not going to fuss over it. I'm thinking more & more to go a bit more OOB on this build considering my limited scratch-building skills & time limit.

Got back to building today & did a little on it.

The first pic shows the engine installed along with the cockpit side panel, I'll attach the plumbing in a day or so.

Adrian A.

post-177-1167709372.jpg

Pic #5 is of a 'practice' Revell P51D I built to try out the paint job that 'Ina' is going to wear.

This particular bird was the 'Miss America' boxing of the Revell kit. I know there was a discussion recently on the differences of the Revell/Monogram P51D's. Other than the cockpit being from the 'B' the most obvious difference is no wing mounted guns.

Thanks for looking!!

Adrian A.

post-177-1167711887.jpg

Pic # 6 is of the work on the radios. I just added a few wires to 'busy it up.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to get a real clear picture of the work.

I'm hoping this one comes out OK.

Adrian A.

post-177-1167712780.jpg

Adrian

Thanks for the encouragement on mine. Certainly won't be up to most LSP standards-it's my first build in a long time, or rather the first I'll finish!

Mate, Ina is coming on really well, IMO.

Having glued the engine together on New Year's Eve, and had a mess around with the firewall and oil tank, I see the challenges and I think you're doing a great job.

Seat belts look cool.

You going to sand and re-scribe the exterior or live with the rivets?

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for the comments Ian, I appreciate it.

As of yet, I still haven't made up my mind on what I want to do with the rivets. I've never sanded & re-scribed before so I'm a bit cautious on getting into that & pooching 'Ina' completely. Time will tell though I guess.

I've got a couple of shots for tonight. I did the wash on the cockpit sidewalls.

Pic # 1 is a shot of the sidewalls before I washed them.

Adrian A.

post-177-1167874588.jpg

Pic # 3 is of my cluttered workbench appling the wash to the right sidewall. I used an oil base burnt umber thinned with turpenoid for the wash. The sidewalls were prepped with two coats of Future that I let dry overnight.

Adrian A.

post-177-1167874917.jpg

This pic is the one that I wanted posted instead of # 3, but my computer skills being what they are (or not) I grabbed the wrong one. Kinda messy right now, I just reset my workbench after the holidays. The wife needed it for Christmas (& she gave me the money for a Rutman P51B Kit as one of my Christmas presents!!) so I let her 'borrow' it.

Anyway, here's the right workbench pic.

Adrian A.

post-177-1167879703.jpg