I'm in - Mirage III - but...

Iain

Hmmm...interesting scheme Iain,

Doesn't Spotty's head looks like he swallowed a fly whilst riding with the visor up...either that or he's in the middle of coughing up a furball. The face looks weird to me...not quite a snarly look but the former.

Will look forward to seeing one built.

Cheers Matty

l sort of agree its either a fly or some bird missed the intake and went down his throat instant

Just to refresh my memory on the atlas cheetah l did a google image search. l forgot the long snout it has. Sort of looks like someone shut the hannger doors too soon and it got is nose caught then stretched. For what its worth go for it. It would be spectacular when finished.

post-542-1167495972.jpg

Hacker Happy New Year

OK - Started cutting plastic...

Have decided on two Mirages - a Swiss IIIRS in special scheme, as well as the Cheetah 'C'.

Both using the most recent Revell re-releases of the III and the 5BA 'Mephisto' - I hate working with Black Plastic! :lol:

If you want to build a 1:32 mirage - the Revell kit is the only game in town - but I would recomend starting with as old a moulding as you can - the molds have suffered over the years and must be at, or near, the ends of their lives.

Anyway - the pics:

IMG_1499.JPG

IMG_1498.JPG

Upper Starboard wing - warped to hell and back...

IMG_1496.JPG

IMG_1497.JPG

Engine and one of the tanks for the IIIRS

IMG_1491.JPG

Test Fit - Tamiya F-4J bang seat into Mirage will go - need to remove some material from seat base...

IMG_1490.JPG

First cut - extending the III fuselage - the start of it's metamorphosis into a Cheetah!

IMG_1492.JPG

Starboard half separated - standard fuselage for comparison - plug size indicative at this stage - need to get measuring!

IMG_1493.JPG

A tale of two Mirages:

IMG_1494.JPG

More later...

Happy New Year folks!

Iain

Some more pix...

Have used 20 thou styrene sheet to 'plug' the gap - doesn't look pretty - yet - but the trick is to ensure that the front and rear fuselage sections remain correctly aligned - it's very easy to end up with a twist in proceedings!

My calculations suggested an 18.125mm plug - allowing for razor saw thickness I went just under 19mm.

Front and rear sections were carefully taped tockether (with cockpit tub inserted in nose section) whilst jointing plates fitted in place to ensure everything stays 'true'...

IMG_1501.JPG

IMG_1502.JPG

IMG_1503.JPG

IMG_1504.JPG

IMG_1505.JPG

IMG_1506.JPG

IMG_1507.JPG

Wish me luck! :P :lol: :D

Iain

Well - I'm a little less downhearted about the project(s) than I was last night - always better to stick things together - than cut up!! :lol:

May do some cockpit work now whilst the 'extension' dries...

Why on earth did I start two of these things - with the state of the molds, and my plans for 'Cheetah' - building a vac would be easier...

Now - were did I put my ID Models Grumman Tiger??? :P

Iain

OK - Next steps as I sip a rather nice Chardonnay...

Cockpit - the kit cockpit is basically non-existent (relying on decal for the main panel). This will all be rebuilt around spare Martin Baker seats from a Tamiy F-4J (I used resin seats in that one...)

The seat has been 'adjusted' and now fits perfectly! Have checked height from cockpit floor to canopy and it's spot on!

IMG_1508.JPG

IMG_1513.JPG

Big area for improvent on the Revell Mirage III/5 kits is the gear bays - front ends up being an open void into the front fuselage, mains are closed off - but far too shallow and with no detail at all. Answer - cut out the old and make new gear bays!

IMG_1510.JPG

IMG_1511.JPG

Here are front gear bay 'blanks' for both models I'm building. The need shaping around the bottom to fit the fuselage contours - and all the detail needs adding - but here you can see a good start - basic shells made from 20 thou styrene sheet (yes - they do taper in plan - although a little less than the kit moldings would have you believe...):

IMG_1509.JPG

That's all on this installment - at least I can start the detailing process now!

Am actually starting to enjoy this project - may all end in tears though - we'll see...

Happy New Year! :lol:

Iain

Thanks Adrian...

To be honest - I prefer 1930 through 1960 for subject matter - but aim to build a 1:32 collection spanning the Wright Brothers to F-35 eventually! :lol: :) :lol:

Iain

Looks Good Iain

Not a fast mover fanatic myself (although I think the Hunter was one of the most beautiful airplanes ever built), but I've always had a soft spot for Mirages in South African and Aussie service. Something about that Gallic flair.

Will watch with interest.

Ian

Absolutely first-rate work here. I like the clever engineering involved in the fuselage stretch- I'll be embarrassed to enter my box-stock Mirage! (well, maybe not box-stock- I can't find the decals :lol:

Lee

Hi Lee,

Thanks...

Drop me a line with your address and I'll pop a set of Revell decals in the post... :unsure:

BTW - Did you have any spare XB-51 Mouldings?

Have fun!

Iain