I'm in - Mirage III - but...

Iain

Unless I build two - I want to do an Atlas Cheetah C... :)

So - this means a new nose, new windshield, new seat, new canards and modified wings (amongst other stuff...). I may use a resin bang seat...

So - whilst I'll try to keep to the 'spirit' of this excellent Group Build Idea - I strongly suspect the model won't be strictly eligable...

Hopefully you'll let me post pix anyway? It will (hopefully) show it's not difficult to update a '75 model Revell kit to the 21st century! :P

Will post first pix tomorrow... :D :D

Iain

Unless I build two - I want to do an Atlas Cheetah C... :)

So - this means a new nose, new windshield, new seat, new canards and modified wings (amongst other stuff...). I may use a resin bang seat...

Iain

Are you going to do "Spots?"

I have thought one of my Mirages should go towards a Cheetah...so make some resin copies of your changes for me! :D

Yup - me wants to do 'Spotty'!

Got the ALPS working again today - so can do the Cheetahs head as a decal (along with tail markings) and airbrush the rest...

Spotty

Oh - and I have some casting rubber/resin tucked away somewhere - no promises! :)

Iain

I knew it!!! I don't know if I would do Spotty or one of the standard camo ones. It sure is a great scheme, though.

That is going to be a nasty job for the Alps with all the light and variable tones, though. I think I would do it mostly with my Epson, and just do the undercoat with the Alps.

Someday we should compare notes on decal making.

Indeed - the soft tones wouldn't work too well on the ALPS - but I'll have a play...

It was actually a photo of one in the standard greys that first caught my eye - so it may end up a std 2 Sqn bird...

Iain

Hehe, I ran across an article in a german magazin about 10 years or so ago, I fell straight in love with the Cheetah :) though, mine will be a doubleseater :D

And Spotty is certainly one of the most striking schemes ever made, to bad I'm not really into special and show paint schemes...

Hi KOTR, Ted, Erwin

Double seater Cheetah 'D' would be a stunner - and there's the very bright 2 Sqn airshow bird with huge sharkmouth and the SA flag on the tail - that would really stand out.

But I'll chicken out on that one for the moment - the single seat 'C' is an easier proposition!

Ted - will bear you in mind - but, as earlier, no promises!

Erwin, your post re straight kit/fun build - I can relate to that - I just have this nervous twitch that makes me want to modify everything - including Tamiya. :D :) :D

The early Revell 1:32 stuff was what I grew up on and I have a lot of them in the loft!

Sooo - tell yer wot - I'll do a straight out of the box (ish) Mirage III at the same time as the Cheetah (may add a little to cockpit and gear bays) - how does that sound? :) :D

Iain

Well - I've read there was an extension behind the cockpit (as well as the new nose) - but still trying to confirm details...

Have asked the Q over on Hyperscale as Charles Hugo has been giving me a few pointers...

Will see what I can find - doesn't put me off - other than I need enough info to get it right! :)

Iain

Most of these systems are housed in a new plug of about 58cm between the cockpit and engine intakes. As the cockpit is further forward, the spine is naturally longer with a slight hump just forward of the tail fin.

From the IPMS South Africa Website. Was a hell to load, but you might want to take a look there. From there goes also a link to a couple of photo albums, one of them featuring Spotty in its full glory and many different angles :)

I'd also like to mention the strenghten landing gear.

What put me off from making the 'C' is the lack of interior photos, as the cockpit is yet classified.

Edit: There we go :)

Thanks - have been trawling the site - but not seen that - I did see mention of 600mm on one page...

Looks like the front gear bay is still in the same position as Mirage IIIE relative to the intakes and wheelbase...

Yup - cockpit a bind - but can't be too dissimilar to late model Kfir/Pantera cockpits - am searching for pics now... I'll use a spare Tamiya F-4J seat...

Ho Hum - reasearch is part of the Fun!!! :lol: :rolleyes: :blink:

Now - I promise to start cutting plastic later today... :rolleyes:

Iain

Hmmm...interesting scheme Iain,

Doesn't Spotty's head looks like he swallowed a fly whilst riding with the visor up...either that or he's in the middle of coughing up a furball. The face looks weird to me...not quite a snarly look but the former.

Will look forward to seeing one built.

Cheers Matty