F-4 J (UK) question

Hello gang

I'm currently repainting an old Tamiya F-4 J in RAF 74th Squadron markings.

I have the Verlinden Lockon on this bird as well as the gorgeous Ian Black book.

My question is, do the F-4 J use the SUU-23 gun pod in the centerline pylon ?

I've been seing lotsa pics of FGR 1 & 2 with the gun, and with aux. tanks underwing, while F-4 J seems to have clean wings (even without inner wing missile pylon) and the large centerline tanks most of the time ...

Any help, link, intel, etc about it much appreciated

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

Stef (#6)

Hmmm...

I've nearly finished my F-4J(UK) and I was adding the gunpod - I have some pics somewhere - will report back...

Actually, finished the bulk of the model 5 years ago - must get on and do the 'twiddly bits' - so thanks for the prompt! :unsure: :rolleyes:

Iain

OK - Back quicker than I thought... :rolleyes:

Combat Edge by famous Lightning jock Ian Black has a couple of images of F-4J(UK)s with the gun pod on centreline, including - ZE354 'R'.

As image is copywrite I won't scan and post here - but I could send over an image via email I guess?

HTH

Iain

Hello Iain

Thanks a lot for the quick reply !!!

The book I have is titled "the last of the Phantoms", by Ian Black, Haynes /PSL publisher ...

So it's not the same ! :lol:

I'll be glad with a pic trough private mail ... please use rrmerlin(nosspam)@free.fr (without the no spam thingie in it, of course).

I'll post some pics today in the "in the work section", but need to reload the camera battery ...

Thanks for your help, Iain.

I wasl ooking round this topic as well, since a 74SQ F-4 is on the cards at some stage , Ian Black's book does show a J(UK) with a gun pod , although searching on line , and through the mass of other references I have - it dosen't look as though this was a particularly common loading .

the J(UK)'s seem to have spent most of their life with a centre line tank, old style 600 Gallon, inner wing pylons with AIM-9 launch rails - and the outer pylons not fitted . This sort of ties in with the USN experence , with the outer 370 gallon tanks seldom fitted to Navy F-4's

There's nothing stopping you installing a gun pod, (I've got one too tucked away ), but I don't think is was a particularly common fit.

I never understood why we still have no F-4K/M in the 1:32 scale... :lol:

Probably because it would require a major retooling of some big parts (intakes, fuselage, lower fuselage underside, not to mention the exhausts.)

For the F-4J (UK), the Verlinden lock-on shows some pics with the centerline tank and some with the gun pod. The SUU-23 pod was fairly standard for F-4s assigned to air defense, so the F-4J (UK)s carried them, just like the FG.1s the RAF got and used for air defense later in their lives. The (UK)s were used for air defense only.

Hi Stef,

For what it's worth, and as far as I can recall from seeing these in my RAF days, plus the odd one that I actually worked on as part of my BAE SYSTEMS 100FI rework programme days, I would say that Scotsman is pretty well right. I seem to remember them mostly fitted with the centre line tank and inner pylons fotted with inert sidewinders. Like the FGR.2's, they also generally carried two inert (blue) Sparrow rounds on the forward weapons stations under the fuselage. The F-4J engines where pretty thirsty, so these aircraft were seldom seen without the centre line tanks fitted. The guns were generally only fitted for weapons practice (I saw them at the RAF Donna Nook range occasionally). I am sure that there were variations of fits for the F-4J (UK) aircraft on occasions (for air displays and special photo shoots, etc), but this is generally how I remember seeing them.

HTH

Derek

Thanks a lot

for all these inputs guys

As Iain was kind enough to provide me with pics of gun equiped birds, i will go for that config, even if not regular ...

Why, that SUU-23 is so meeean -looking, it just add to the warrior look of the Phantom, so ... B)

thanks again for you help, boys

Stef (#6)

I never understood why we still have no F-4K/M in the 1:32 scale... :ph34r:

Hi

didn't Cutting Edge intend to release a conversion ?

though this would be expensive, I think I would be getting one ... couldnt resist building a spey Phantom, I love their large intakes that give a large shoulder look.

Fanch

CE announced the conversion at the beginning of the year - but its never appeared , despite them dropping hints about its cost /complexity .

The F-4 survey they've just sent out is listing the Brit Phantom conversion as a possible next project - so I assume the original project has been put on hold. The hints I remember suggested that it would share only a few items from the original kit, Outer wing panels , tails, nose / mail gear and so on , the rest would be new , and costly , (at least $200 was mentioned) , intresting especially for us Brits looking at a near 2-1 $-£ exchange rates :D , but still expensive - !

Its was the fact of the this accouncement that put off Rob Clement's plans to also do a Brit Phantom conversion - but in light of recent envents - its hardly a major loss!

who Knows maybe Trumpter will take the bull by the horns , and tool up for the most charasmatic of all the members of the F-4 family , I know I would have at least 3-4 or them .... FAA, RAF -41 Sq, RAF 111 SQ, and so on ..... :ph34r: