REVELL Phantom..........technical challenge

Chris/Germany

Chris not to rain on your parade BUT I was a technical Illustrator for GE j-79 turbojet for over 8 years.

The GE J-79 is an awsome engine and has been used in tons of early 2nd generation jets.

Jet engines have 3 main part to them the compressor, cumbustor, and the tubine sections also known as the "suck" "bang" and "blow" sections.

Not that anyone else would notice BUT each alternating blade sesection of the Compressor section at the front of the engine has what they call "stator vanes" meaning only alternating rows of blades turn while every other section of blades or vanes is angled slighty differently and remain "stationary" hence "stator vanes". This causes the air to get compressed and reach high temperatures before fuel is introduced into the process.

Sorry but thought YOU should know (no one else looking will care) they will be in awe of your modeling skills.

otherwise great ides and a super job on the detail work. (sorry just a VERY nitpicky thing to tell you)

only trying to give a little back to the hobby.

Jon

LSP fastzx

Your welcome, Jon/fastzx, but again: the engine cutaway is only a very "rough" model of the real J-79 and more for the "effect" of havin a turning compressor section than for having an accurate scale turbine-model.

Although I put a lot of work in this thing the main point will be to have a nice jet-cutaway model with some ( not all) technical details visible. And the main thing is:.............I want to be finished some day! B)

again, your comment is welcome, always curious to learn new technical facts ( did I mention that I´m a tec-nutter? ;) )

Hey Maverick, tell you what?............ok: 40 % turpentine, 20% decal-softener, 20% Future ( german äquivalent), 10% 2K-Epoxy-glue, 10% Jamaika rum and a tiny drop ( only a drop!) of super glue..............mix it and serve it ice cold.................and you´ll get visions.............and ideas..............MAd IDEAS :lol: :D :o

CHEEERS!

Chris "the ripper"

Looks awful..... :blink: :lol:

Chris, I don't know what your final theme will be, but it reminds me of the promotional cutaway models I remember seeing when I was a kid, for my father was an aerospace engineer, and during open house these desktop or larger cutaway models would be brought out for display. They were usually done with minimal surface detail, glossy paint, and simple markings. Might be something to consider for what you're doing! Keep up the good work! I think this is going to be your best so far! :lol:

Best regards,

Ross