"Dai Banana!"- Pacific Coast Models Macchi 202 Folgore

bdthoresen

Well guys, I am back. No pics for the moment, but I will try and get some later tonight. So a verbal update will have to suffice for now.....

I managed to fix the errant squadron codes on the left fuselage side. It turns out that it was a blessing that I used Future for the clearcoat, as I was able to remove it with a Q-Tip dipped in Windex to get to the incorrect decals. I then used Scotch tape, and applied it to the markings, pulling them off with no paint damage. I replaced them with spares from the 21st Century kit sheet, with are identical to PCM's. I used Future for the setting solution, and resealed them. Problem solved.

I also repaired the broken gear door bits with a bit of cursing and superglue.

I have still not decided how best to repair the right elevator seam...I might reprofile the trailing edge from the bottom, and touch up the underside color, or I might fill the seam with the sprue/Mineral spirits trick if I have to. Still looking at that. Once that is done, it is Flat Coat and final weathering time.

I also removed the excessive chipping I had done to the leading edges and wingwalks. Looks more like the real deal now. I also found a concoction of colors that I painted the exhausts with. I studied some of the older aircraft we take care of at my shop for color and effects....Pretty happy with it....Used Model Master Burnt Iron Metallizer, followed by a black oil wash, and heavy drybrushing with rust. Lastly, a light drybrushing of gray at the tips......

More photos soon. I am anticipating finishing this thing in the foreseeable future....I know, I know, famous last words, right?

Thor, happy to be making progress....... :BANGHEAD2:

Thanks a lot Kev- Have not had as much time to model as I would like lately, and of course this thing keeps getting pushed aside...But here are some crappy photos to show where I am- Close......

Here is the first photo- I have corrected the incorrectly placed markings on the fuselage.....Thanks Goodness for spares.....

DSC02490.jpg

I have also finished playing with the oil paints. The base colors seem to have settled in nicely....The lovely nose details that PCM put in are really popping out now....

DSC02500.jpg

I have also minimized the wingroot chipping, as photos of Tarantola's mount shows they were pretty well maintained.....

DSC02498.jpg

More in a moment.......

Edited by bdthoresen

Tomcat- I painted the smoke rings.......Took some playing to get it right.

Thanks Matt- this build has gone on long enough, and I am kinda burnt out on it. I am trying to push through, as I am wanting to move onto other things. My model time is extremely limited right now, so I cannot be dallying on more than one project at a time.

I have made a list of some things that I will need to address in the final stage....Working on the elevator seams now. Another update sometime this weekend. Thanks All for stopping by.....

THOR

Hey Thor,

Nice to see you back at it. This thread started back in 2006. Time to polish off this baby. Can't wait to see it finished, it looks beautiful.

Mark in Wisconsin where its still cold

• 2 months later...

Yes, the thread is not dead. No photos right now as I am charging the camera battery, and it is 130 a.m. here. So I will have to wait until daylight to snap some decent pics....Now onto where we left off.....Ah yes....

I managed to repair the split elevator seams with superglue applied with a thin wire....I then reprofiled them and applied some silver paint to check flaws...I spent this evening respraying the repair areas, and that took some time. I finished the evening off by spraying some hard exhaust stains, as if Tarantola just came back from a hard days flying....I then applied some Dullcote to seal everything off. At this point all of my weathering popped out, and it looks great to my eye. I demasked the canopy, and am most pleased so far. I am waiting for the paints to dry overnight, and then I will try and finish her up tomorrow. I will have to install the headrest, canopy, antenna wire, and she will be finished....Needless to say I am pretty happy about that. Have all of the supplies ready to go in the morning when I get up.....

Thanks to all of you who have followed along with me, and emailed, PM'd, and left comments here....Sorry it took so long, but that is real life I guess.....

Later All-

THOR

It looks great Thor! Can't wait to see this one finally finish up! It's been a great ride, and one I've really enjoyed following. I really think you did an amazing job on the camo scheme, can't wait to see how it all comes out with the weathering.

Matt :party0023:

Hello Again gents- Here are some photos as promised. The weather here is downright wet, but I managed to take some pics on the porch out of the rain. So here we go.....

DSC02624.jpg

Here she is in her current state. The main canopy is just sitting on her right now, because I cannot decide if I am going to pose it open or closed.....But the Dullcoat is on, the weathering subdued, and looking far better now she is in an even sheen.....