P-40 Resin Cockpit Q.

Dear modeling friends,

which one is the better Resin cockpit for the Trumpeter P-40? I know the kit c/p is wrong, so i have the option to buy the CMK one for 15 Euro or the Cutting Edge one for 40 Euro. Is the last one extremly better then the CMK one? Or why does it cost twice as much?

Or are there any other nice Resin c/p´s?

TIA,

Chris

Chris, don't waste your money, fix it yourself. I did mine and it turned out very nice. Besides, there are lots of pics in my article for you to follow and with your level of skills, you can do it. It is nothing special to do, pretty straight forward. And you can also try Rato's method for making the seat from a beer can. It is the best looking seat you can produce, no detail set will make it look better. Come on man, try it out, you can do it!!

Thanks a lot guys!

Charles, thanks for the link!

Francky, would love to see some pics of the CMK one.

Brian, i saved all your pics on my PC B) Also thanks for your kind words, but i think my skills are still a bit rough when it come to scratch build a complete cockpit... :rolleyes:

Thanks again,

Chris

Hi Chris,

I bought the CMK Cockpit a few months ago, but I only checked it last week, and in terms of accuracy I was disappointed, its not much better than what Trumpeter includes in the kit.

By this I mean it is still too shallow, only about 1 or 2mm deeper than the kit parts. I'm no P-40 expert, but I think most reviews I read say the Trumpter cockpit is about 4-6mm too shallow, so the CMK will not look much different than the kit parts, once it is assembled. Also the floor is still flat, when most reviews say it should be curved (its the top of the wing middle section)

However, the CMK casting quality is excellent, no bubbles/defects, and there is for sure more detail on the sidewalls, floor, rear-wall, instrument panel etc. than on the Trumpeter kit parts. Also the seat looks much better than Trumpeters, but again its too small/shallow.

So like Brian says, best solution for accuracy is to do it yourself!

And if you are not too bothered about accuracy, I would still say the kit parts will look good enough (with maybe a bit of extra detailing, like you did on your Spitfire).

I'll use the CMK cockpit when I get round to building my P-40, but in all honesty, I wouldn't pay 16 Euros again for this cockpit.

If you still want, I can take some pictures this evening and post them for you to see the differences?

cheers

Nick

Guest LSP_Jay L
Brian, i saved all your pics on my PC biggrin.gif Also thanks for your kind words, but i think my skills are still a bit rough when it come to scratch build a complete cockpit... sad.gif

Rubbish!! B) Chris, you remember I did the cockpit in the 24th P-40, and if I can do it, so can you. your modelling skill are easily the equal of mine, if not the better, and I know you can scratch a cockpit. I think if you use Brians pictures, along with mine from the 24th build there should be enough ideas for the path to follow.

Brian is right mate, you can do it.

Besides if I remember correctly, neither set corrects the depth of the cockpit, although I may be wrong. I know the CMK one is still too shallow and I have the cutting edge one up in the loft, but I can't remember for sure if it is still too shallow. I will have a look but if someone else knows for sure in the meantime please speak up.

Don't forget that aside from Aires, all these cockpits are simply guys like you, using the kit parts and some scratchbuilding to improve the cockpit. There is nothing intimidating about it, and there is far more patience involved than skill mate. Trust me. :rolleyes:

Cheers mate,

Jay

Besides if I remember correctly, neither set corrects the depth of the cockpit, although I may be wrong. I know the CMK one is still too shallow and I have the cutting edge one up in the loft, but I can't remember for sure if it is still too shallow. I will have a look but if someone else knows for sure in the meantime please speak up.
Jay and all,

The Lone Star set that I mentioned above certainly does solve the cockpit-depth problem. Dunno about the other two, but Cutting Edge's research is usually pretty good, so I'd be surprised if they got that wrong.

Charles Metz

Hi Chris,

Just to confuse you even more, I've had a chance to look at the CMK Cockpit set this evening, and I have to apologise because

a) it definitely is deeper than the kit parts, and

:) the floor is curved.

I still can't say if its accurate or not, but at least I don't fell now that I wasted 16 Euros on it! And like I said the casting quality is excellent.

Heres what you get in the box

post-1499-1161111055_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris.

I can only repeat Brians work. i think your skill is very good, better than mine and you will scratch nice cockpit. if anyway you want aftermarket parts i can only advice not to buy lonestar parts. a couple years ago i purchased all sets for F4-U and i was dissapointed very much with it's quality. casting was awful, wheels not rounded but ellipse. detailing ver bad. otherwise cmk and cutting edge are good companys.

good luck Chris

I have the Cutting Edge cockpit from Meteor and it is too shallow by a few mm. It is very nice otherwise, so I'll be using it and extending the floor down to where it is supposed to be.

IMHO, the best bet is to take the advice to scratch your own. ;)

HTH,

D

I agree with the others, give scratchbuilding a shot first, if it really doesn’t work out for you, you can always pick up an aftermarket cockpit. The P-40 has a fairly simple cockpit and it should be easy to build up. It’s been awhile since I looked at my kit and I don’t remember if the knobs on the side walls are separate or molded on, if they are molded on you can always remove them and use them in your cockpit. I don’t remember what the control stick looks like, but if the shape is basically right, you could always cut it in half and glue in a plastic rod. I’m not great at scratchbuilding, but even I will scratchbuild mine using Brians photos as a guide. You could try using a piece of pop or beer cans for the seat removing the paint from one side, the seat in the P-40 wasn’t painted so it would look good.