1:32 Hawker Hunter F6 Revell

nickd

Hi Nick,

I agree with Brian, your painting is indeed very neat. Maybe it's just the paint finish and the way the light reflects off it in your photogrphs, but the red appears to be a little to 'rusty' coloured to my eyes. The RAF gloss training signel red (to memory) seemed to be much deeper and brighter than the red in your pictures. I have to BSC colour specs and chip samples somewhere, so I may need to confirm what I am saying. But still, a brilliant model Nick. I have always liked this particular colour scheme on the Hunter.

Best regards

Derek

Hi Guys,

thanks for the comments, very much appreciated!

Derek, regarding the red, you're correct, but I think its partly to do with the photos, and also partly the paint.

I shot the photos at home last night, and loaded them up from my laptop, which has quite a dark LCD screen (even with brightness maxxed-out).

When I look at them now (oops still at work, shouldn't be using internet for personal use!), I have the photos side by side on my laptop monitor and also on my bigger second monitor which I use for my CAD, and on this one the red looks much brighter and redder (not so rusty). Anyway, in future I'll try and balance the colour/brightness better.

But also the red paint (its Tamiya XF acrylic) is absolutley matt, much matter than the grey or white, which were also Tamiya XF's, but this may explain why the red looks darker in the photos. I had real problems spraying it, just getting it to cover, but I'm hoping once the gloss coat is on, it will brighten up. I've got an old model tank which I test all my airbrushing on, so I'll do this tonight to see if its better.

cheers

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Well, its been three weeks since the last set of photos, but for one reason or another (mostly my own fault) it took longer to get the decals finished than usual.

I tried to touch up some of the small patches of overspray, before applying the decals and Future, but ended up getting more patches of overspray than I started with. I really should have fully masked the plane all over again, but I've learnt for next time. Still need a lot more practice with an airbrush...

So heres the fully decalled Hunter, starboard side.

post-1499-1164740900.jpg

The underside decals caused the biggest headache.

I traced the shape of the wheel well onto paper and used this to cut the big serial codes to the correct shape for each wing and each individual well cover, but when I tried to apply them they were quite difficult to handle and get into the right place, and also didn't fit exactly enough for me.

post-1499-1164741422.jpg

In hindsight, I should have Blu-tacked the wheels covers into place and applied the big stencils in one piece, and then cut the stencils around each cover after it had dried.

I had one disaster with the port underwing code. Again totally my own fault (touching the edge of the decal after I'd already put Micro-Sol on it). So I damaged the edge of the 'F'

Thanks to Jamie for the tip, I managed to get most of it off with sellotape, but where I'd touched the decal was fused into the Future, so I had to carefully sand this down, then respray the wing around the well.

Luckily there was an extra 'XF' code on the Xtradecal sheet, so I used this and it came out OK, can hardly see the original damage now.

post-1499-1164741837.jpg

And finally the stencils!! aaarghhh... I think I was going mad after a full week of applying these, but once I'd started I was determined to get them all on. The only ones I've not applied were any in red text which went over the red-painted areas of the lower fuselage or wings.

But the Revell kit stencils are really good, and readable, just a little thicker than the Xtradecal decals.

I still have to have another go at a couple of them, with some more Micro-Sol, where they've not gone fully 100% down into the panel lines.

post-1499-1164742135.jpg

Otherwise, for the rest of this week I need to wash the plane again, then another few thin coats of future, then start on the washes...

cheers

nick

Very nice Nick. You're right about the red, it looks very good now, and about right colour-wise. This is going to turn out as one sweet model when completed (and she nearly is so). Well done.

Derek