Hasegawa Fw 190 A5

gustave venelt

It seems we don't have enough of these birds around, so i'm taking it on me to finally do one! :lol:

I've been doing short run kits for about 2 years now, so when I got my scalpel into this one, what a shock! The plastic was so hard I couldn't cut it, details every where so I didn't dare sand them and...and well, I almost gave up! Took me some nerve to finally see it as any other kit. Weird?

This 190 spent several lonley weeks on my desk wondering weather it was going to get stuffed back into the box or turned into a plane. After some reading (and flying on Il 2) I decided it would be the latter. If all goes well, I should end up with Lt. Emil (my second name hehe) Lang's A5. I found the scheme of 2 greens, brown/tan and rlm 76 intresting as well as aesteticlly pleasing. Not being an expert on the 190 (or any plane :) ) please feel free to point out any stupid mistakes or omissions!! So here goes....

First thing I noticed while staring at the sprues was the strange dot-like details on all of the moving planes. This seemed incorrect so I thought it would be a good excuse to try the "primer method" of building up detail.

First rudder and elevators were detached from fuselage and tail plane.

Then the detail dots were scalpeled away and the parts were sanded in the usual way.

Scaled plans of the rudder and elevators were printed, then printed again but this time with masking tape taped in the appropriate places. After some minutes drying, the masking tape is layed on tamiya tape to give some more thickness.

The recessed parts are then cut out and placed in position. Several thick layers of primer are then sprayed on.

When dry, the masks were peeled off and sanded.

Finally a couple of coats of paint was spray caned on.

post-912-1159214614.jpg

Some work has also been done on the pit area. The Kit's seat was modified and a cushion added with a 2 component glue. Also made the oxygen thingy from the kits sprue. 2 little fittings were built with copper wire just above the seat too. Not visible on this pic is the map case and wiring in the forward part of the pit (in other words invisible).

post-912-1159216569.jpg

very good work so far and an interesting technic. i really like the tires but i think you should have left the controll surfaces as they come with the kit. if you have a glider club in your area, go there and look at cotton parts on old gliders. they are not recessed that much.

i like the wiering in the wheelwell alot. you should add one more wire to the retractomg arns. there were three cables running to the micro switches on the retracting arms. if you like it the way it is, just leave it as it is. there are only a view people who will notice this small mistake.

cheers klaus

Very nice so far Gustave. Nice detail on the wheel wells and landing gear.

I'm working on this exact same Kit...maybe even the same color scheme. I had the question as you last night regarding the rudder, ailerons and elevators. From all the drawings I have the kit seems incorrect. Klaus you think surfaces would lokk flat though? I'll take a look at my "walkaround" and "aero detail".

Guest LSP_Jay L

Great start Gustave! I like the approach of just tucking in and fixing what you feel needs fixing. I think Brian and Klaus have a point about the heaviness of the detail on the control surfaces, and you have done a superb job wiring the wheel bays.

I'll look forward to this model as it comes along Gustave!

Cheers mate,

Jay