P-38L question

Smokinguns3

Ok fellas how would one, that has never scratch built a thing make the framing for the engine neacelles on the Tumpy P-38. Seems it would be a waste to cover those engines. What i do have is some thin sheet styrene and some really small i think .10 or .01 square stock its about the same diamater as a straight pin, and would i have to make a jig for it? i do have the old revell kit, could i use that as a test bed? I have know idea what iam doing Please help.

Thanks in advance

Rob

Smokinguns3,

Well,I think i can help u here on this little deal of doing the inside frame work for u'er 38.Did this about 12 years ago as to a factory fresh just rolling off the assembly.I used evergreen flat strips that were about a 1/16th of an inch thick and about an 1/8th of an inch wide.Used the kit frame work as to what u see on the inside of the nacelle as a reference to locat them as to sanding them down as not to show the molded in frames.

Did the same as to the nacelle as it wraps around the nacell.After sanding the insides down,i made the evergreen strips curve by pulling them on a sissors blade as to when u would want a fancy ribbon on a X-MAS package.It curls up like the hair on a baby.But before i did this.I drilled out all the locator holes as to the kit panels for proper location.

After i had the right length for the frames,then i glued them into place.But this will depend on u and just how far down u want to take those frame rails.And if u want to open up a panel that would show some of the engine.But again.That's jut how far u want to take the detailing as to the frames.

I have a pic of my 38 and i will send it to u as to what u need and this should give u more info as to what u want to do.But u let me know and i'll go one step farhter and drawing out what i'm telling u with the pic as a guide.Let me know and i'll need u'er address if u wish this.Larry

You must be as crazy as I am, Rob. :blink:

I've been thinking of the same thing. I've wanted a good 1/32 P-38 for ages. When the Trump kit came out I was very excited to see the detailed engines. However, I refuse to build it unless I can at least display one of them.

Anything you'd be willing to share on this project I would be grateful. Anything I have is yours as well.

Dana,

Well,For onr thing and if trump would do a kit as to the 38.Open up at least one engine compartment.But again would put more cost to adding that type of detailing to that kit or any WWII for that matter.If Rob wants to share the intel i sent him on the way i did mine.Then go for it.It took me about three days to cut out to what i have pic's of as to the 38 nacell showing the engine.And to be honest here.There is not alot of room from the pic i have of that type of detailing.But i went ahead and did it.And it turned out pretty good.Larry

Hey Guys,

While were on this subject, has anyone used the Cutting Edge P-38F/G/H conversion set. I need some suggestions for putting the engines in the cowling. The kit leave no room and I hate to just glue the propellers on the front of the cowling. Thanks.

Bob

Bobair,

Have a few suggestions for u as to fitting an engine with the CE conversion.If u have either the revell allisopn engine or the trump engine from the kit.Try dry fitting it into the nacell front.Check for space on either side and see just how much space u do have.Then check the thickness of the resin on the conversion and see what u might have to do as to trimming some of the resin on in the inside.

If u have a dremel tool and u have the little ball cutter that small blades on it.Use that to trim out the inside of the nacelle.U might not want to hear that as to trimming or cutting excess resin from the mold.But if one is going to fit an engine there.Then one must preform surgery.

And one other thing.If u have both types of engines from each kit.U just might have to use the revell one.But that would be up to u on doing that type of work as to get the engine to fit.The 38 doesn't have alot of room in those nacelles and the ground probably hated the idea as to doing engine changes and etc.But see what gives as to the above and u should be able to fit an engine in the nacelle.Larry