Sign in to follow this  
bsarnoffca

A story, 1940 France

As my collection is growing I've got to make space. Here's a three part story I thought up that will have to move to make way for new models so I thought I'd take and post some pics. Research showed that all the units listed actually used this area from 1940-1944. The rest is fiction.

Scene I

It is June1940. In the final days of the air war a pilot of GC I/3 2e, flying a D 520 from Meaux is separated from his unit. He finds himself far north and in desperate need of a place to land his damaged aircraft. Near Crepon he has located an airfield occupied by Hurricane Mk I of 501 Sq. The British ground crewmen examining the damage to the D 520 have determined that it is not repairable and must be abandoned. A British pilot is convincing the Frenchman to return with them to England and join other Free French pilots.

post-453-1156642446_thumb.jpg

Scene II

August 1940. II/JG 27 has taken over the field occupied by 501 Sq; the Germans have adopted the D520 as a “hack”. While a Bf 109E –3 prepares for an engine change, the D520 has had its battle damage repaired, the HS12y engine replaced and is in the process of being repainted.

post-453-1156642987_thumb.jpg

Scene III

June 1944. The Free French 301 Sq. have landed their Spitfire Mk IX c on the very same airfield. The original French pilot has discovered his old D520 abandoned by the Luftwaffe, worn, faded but still standing

post-453-1156643460_thumb.jpg

Very cool idea, and a great put together too.

Really gives you an idea of how big the Hurricane is eh? Whew! Thanks for posting it.