Me109's at last

bcauchi

Hi guys I have 3 109's planned. One of them is the old revell model. Many of you would just throw this away but I have decided to have a go at fixing this model. In fact I started from there. So if you think I'm nuts, just skip the thread. Starting with the fuselage, basically, this is too long in front and too short (4mm) at the rear. It also has the wrong cross section from the cockpit to the tail. Here is the evident short rear.

post-915-1155712856.jpg

And here is the front end. This is too long but poses no problem since the whole nose section shall be replaced by the aires extensive detail set which includes the engine and all the cowl panels. these are perfect and so in my case, there is no need to rectify the front of the model. I have left the front on for the time being for strength. When it is cut off, there is basically nothing left of the front of the model.

post-915-1155712998.jpg

Last photo. The 4mm fillet in place and the fuselage once again whole. Both kits are now identical from the cockpit to the rear. There is now the need for some milliput to correct the shape of the fuselage top and bottom just behind the cockpit. The white plastic template stuck on the rear decking is the shape that needs to be mated to the rest of the fuselage and will serve as a guide for the milliput filling. ....... to be continued.

post-915-1155713671.jpg

Isn't there an old saying about silk purses and sow's ears?

Look forward to seeing the results you get with this kit - I had one many years ago, but sold it when I went solely with 1/48 kits. I've seen the light :) , and I'm building up on the new generation of 1/32.

Great work so far.

Brian, glad to see you doing the Revell kit. Your approach to fixing the bird is sounding good, I am sure it helps to have the new ones to measure from.So basically all you have to do is: fix the fuse, re-shape the tail, correct the nose, change the wing chord, move the wheel wells,detail the pit... .

..... :)

Brian,

Sounds like your having fun...good bit of recycling if you ask me B). Anyway, watching your builds is far more entertaining than watching Love Island or Big Bruvver :). I shall peek in from time to time to see how this one prgresses...I have a similar 'retro engineering' project in mind for the Revell Harrier one day.

Cheers

Derek

I don't think you're nuts at all Brian. I love to see what you do with these old kits. It's the true mark of a master scratchbuilder.....you and Rodney. What group/theater wiil this be?

I have on my list to convert the old Revell P-40E to an F in free French markings with an exposed Merlin engine.....I'm just afraid as soon as I start Trumpeter will release an F.

hi brian!

i am sure not going to skip this threat. sure i thought... "why?" but i am sure you will have your reasons. and there will be much to learn here. seeing how you fix all these issiues it will help others like me to fix problems on other builds. if this 109 comes out half as good as your corsair, then it is worth the effort.

by the way.... i didnt have the chance to congratulate you to your display. i just saw it on the whats new page and the outcome is very beautiful. this corsair is definitely one of the most beautiful ones i had ever the pleasure to see. a fantastic museum piece, together with the displaybase and the figures.

i am looking forward to see more of this bird. maybe you find a way to do functional piano hinges and make the cowling operatable. this would be a blast. i was thinking about ways to do that but i have not yet found a good way to do so. so brian... i go for these damn aileron hinges and you tourture your brain about the functional piano hinges. lol....

cheers klaus

Guest LSP_Jay L

Yup, Brian me ole mate, I do indeed think you are nuts :) , but I wouldn't miss this for the world. A beautiful start, well thought out, as are all of your builds, and seeing you take a pigs ear and make a silk purse out of it will be a pleasure and an education. Here's to you being mad as a fish and teaching us a little something about modelling!

Cheers mate,

Jay