The Mig- 31 Inerceptor code named "FIREFOX"

Wbnemo1

Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:48 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Howdy gang,

I just wanted to update everyone interested. I had a chance to do a little on the Firefox. I started laying the sheet wax into the bottom half of the mold. Now, perhaps the method I'm employing makes a little more sense. there are a few gaps you will note and these get smoothed over using clean clay. Also, I didnt go all the way up to the edge. Again this gets finished with clean clay to ensure the proper edge. see the pics, as always, questions welcome. Once I get the clay into the gaps and smooth everything over, pour sprue and vents applied, a liberal amount of mold release will be applied, then final rtv rubber poured. this will complete the bottom half of this stage one mold, then this process is repeated on to the top half. Enjoy the pics.

Sincerely,

Will

sheetwax1.jpg

sheetwax2.jpg

sheetwax3.jpg

sheetwax4.jpg

sheetwax5.jpg

ok,

I clayed up the wax in the bottom mold last night. Now I just need to add vents and pour sprue and she's ready to pour last half..as for the sheet wax, you can get quite a few different thickness(in thousandths), adhesive backed or not. note for those interested, the adhesive backed is a little more pliable, I chose .100 thickness. I think that will be thin enough, but still have strength once resin is poured in the cavity created by the sheet wax.

Sincerely,

Will

clay_wax1.jpg

clay_wax2.jpg

clay_wax4.jpg

clay_wax5.jpg

Source: http://www.freemansupply.com/SheetWax.htm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update!,

Ok, as promised here we go..I'm quite happy with the final result of this casting so it will become the lower fuselage for the new "hollow"master pattern. The inside will be super smoothed out like an injection kit for final molding process. This series of links, in order, will hopefully give everyone an idea as to the casting and demolding process. I couldn't pour this casting under pressure and due to that fact ther are a couple airbubbles. the most prominant one is on the starboard side intake on the inside. There is also one on the front of the belly intake edge as well as the side of the belly intake, both about the diameter of a No2 pencil lead. on to the pics..enjoy

Best,

will

CastMstr_1.jpg

CastMstr_2.jpg

CastMstr_3.jpg

CastMstr_4.jpg

CastMstr_5.jpg

CastMstr_6.jpg

CastMstr_7.jpg

CastMstr_8.jpg

CastMstr_9.jpg

CastMstr_10.jpg

OK, now i see whats going on here with all that wax 'n' stuff.

Just got to hold on a bit longer to see this thing put together, with some paint on and some weathering. Oh, and then just place it on the shelf in my living room :rolleyes:

Nice one Will this is going to be the dog's doodah's when it's finished.

Sav

• 2 years later...

Howdy,

Boy... it's been a while since I've visited here.. I had a tragedy take place in my life that stopped the project for a time. First my Dad had passed due to a heart attack, then same year in November, my son was stabbed through the eyes with a military dagger. He's ok now , but due to stabbing lost left eye and very minimal in the right leaving him legally blind now. What makes it more horriffic is that is was my sister that assaulted him. No more details on that, it's pretty much all available online anyway. So recently I've gotten back to work on the project, started waxing up the top half for the final premold... I'll show pics tonight.

Joe send me an email please...

Cheers,

Will

Howdy,

Boy... it's been a while since I've visited here.. I had a tragedy take place in my life that stopped the project for a time. First my Dad had passed due to a heart attack, then same year in November, my son was stabbed through the eyes with a military dagger. He's ok now , but due to stabbing lost left eye and very minimal in the right leaving him legally blind now. What makes it more horriffic is that is was my sister that assaulted him. No more details on that, it's pretty much all available online anyway. So recently I've gotten back to work on the project, started waxing up the top half for the final premold... I'll show pics tonight.

Joe send me an email please...

Cheers,

Will

Sorry to hear about what happened to your son Will. It is indeed tragic. Glad to see that things are getting better and the build is back on.

Kev