Revell F-4E

Mark B.

Ok I've been busy for a while since I finished the F-4J, but now that I have some time I managed to get a start, a small start but a start none the less, on Revell's F-4E.

Began fitting the cockpit from Legends. The plan is to use the Revell instrument panel with Eduard Photo etch for the front office and the upper panel from a CE F-4E set for the rear office. Just spent this evening checking out some fit issues. Still have a little more to shave off the Legend's tub and then its off to races!! (I hope)!

df2a36ec.jpg

abf35747.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. I got some paint on the Legend's cockpit set. While it’s drying I thought I'd show you some of the problems I have encountered thus far.

While the set does correct the rear cockpit's depth problems:

a744d88a.jpg

It does have its problems. After installing the side walls with tape and fitting the whole thing together, I noticed the major gaps and steps between the tops of the Legend side walls and the kits fuselage.

Fornt cockpit:

89ff4d32.jpg

Rear Cockpit:

e79d0c24.jpg

Rear Deck Area:

32c282bc.jpg

The problem with this is that Legend has engineered the tops of the sidewalls to include the canopy seal area that is lacking from the kit. You are now faced with two choices.

1. Push the tub up higher in the fuselage by sanding down the raised area that is supposed to provide a positive seat of the tub within the fuselage or
  2. Place the tub as intended and fashion some canopy seals that will hid the gaps.

I chose the latter path since I had already procured Eduard's F-4F interior set which includes the seals and canopy side rails. I am also a little afraid that if I were to pursue the first option, the tub might come loose at some stage and fall down into the fuselage.

I will continue to post as progress is made.

Cheers

Mark B.

The fitting of the office seems like its gonna be a bear. But a word of warning, it could be just the beginning of your problems. There are three of us working on this kit (or variant of) and all of us have had problems with them. Keep posting pics, its nice to see what others are doing. Looks good so far though.

jim

• 3 years later...

Hello, I'm back. To say it's been a while has been an under statement. I can't believe it's been a month short of 4 YEARS :) I hope to improve the glacial type pace (but what with the MSCE exams I have to take for work, I'm not holding my breath :thumbsup: )

Anyway I have managed to modify and install the cockpits and get the forward fuesalage together over the weekend.

Here's where the project is now:

Forward fuselage

Nose gear well has been installed in the lower fuselage

The backs of the spltter plates have been backed with card

and I have started the egine faces.

Current_sit.jpg

Here are some cockpit shots:

They are a mixture of Edurad, Legend and kit pieces. The rear cockpit was raised as well as having the floor lengthened.

Front

FCP_1-1.jpg

FCP_2.jpg

FCP_3.jpg

Rear

RCP_1.jpg

RCP_2.jpg

RCP_3.jpg