1/32 F4F

stusbke

The outer ailerons would droop down together as you have depicted,

as hydraulic pressure dropped off when parked.

However, I've never seen the inner flaps at less than either full up or full down, and when fully

down the aircraft is always crewed and running immediately prior to take off/launch (or landing).

There's a row of small hi-pressure air-slots that open as the flap lowers that blow engine bleed-air over the

inner flaps at low speed, to increase control authority, and they're never left open when parked.

(That I've ever seen anyway, after 25 years of watching real Phantoms, collecting books and photos.

But I could still be wrong :lol:

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=1039...FP&photo_nr=137

And... another one from Airliners.net -Here you see the power off drooping of the ailerons.

It seems like the left aileron was deflected upwards a bit when the other one was down and then the power was cut off... They both drooped afterwards, not equally far...

The left spoiler in front of the left aileron is up a bit in combination with the left aileron - these spoilers take over most of the upward movement a 'normal'aileron would perform...

So, many ways to place the ailerons, flaps and spoilers on your kit..!

Many happy modelling hours!

Piet Bouma

The Netherlands

so basicly i have to restart the whole thing and make the inner flap things level again :lol: B) . Damn and i realy liked the way it looked

however I based myself on this picture I have in the airdoc book on the f-4f

post-1504-1151528951_thumb.jpg

I know its not the best quality i took a picture of the photo in the book (yeah I know ;) )

However when would this picture been taken post- or pre flight :(

Like I said I'm way over my head on this matter just trying to make a good model accurate would be nice too, I'm not the repulsive rivet counterbut I still like it when a model is technical "correct" If you know what I mean.

I can still change evereything here nothis glued yet :lol: so any help and more comments welcome

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Well isn't that the great thing about models right there?

You can do them in any configuration you like!

I used to do all my 1/72 F-4's with l/e and t/e flaps down because I

liked the look of them better that way too.

But now with more research under my belt and working mainly in 1/48 scale

I couldn't do it - it'd annoy me after a while :lol:

That's why when I eventally do my 'piece de resistance' F-4K

it'll have to be canopy locked down, all flaps down, leg up and ready to launch.

They do look impressively spiky that way!

So then I'll also have to do another, just to have an open cockpit and maybe wings folded.

In the photo you show, I'd guess there's a crew ready to go as there are no

ground connections visible.

Flaps down is remarkably uncommon but not absolutely impossible.

Maybe a passing Phantom tech can contribute a definitive answer.

Have you seen Pierre's (Scalephantomfixer) 1/32 F-4S build thread at:

http://imageevent.com/scalephantomphixer/m...132f4smag41deta

He goes into quite some detail with the wing and its attachments, but then it's a maintenance scene.

Stusbke,

You wrote: "so basicly i have to restart the whole thing and make the inner flap things level again"...

No, you don't - that's the fun part - build it like in the Airdoc series picture;

This only means that the power is still off... You can see the left wing spoiler deflected upward a bit, which means that the left aileron had been in the slightly up position before engine shut-down (or before a new engine start, if you wish). After shut-down it will have drooped to the position visible in the Airdoc pic - some 10 degrees..?

This also means that the right aileron had already been pointing down a bit (lets say 10 degrees) and will even have drooped somewhat further down after engine shut-down... (lets say some 20 degrees...)

The large flaps are not interconnected to the ailerons, so they can be built in the drooped position or if you wish, in the "up"(retracted) position... Some pilots just don't bother to park their aircraft with the flaps neatly retracted - they leave them in the position they're in at engine shut-down...

So, it's up to you - having seen the photographic evidence, you can almost build these flaps and ailerons in any which way you like...

Happy flapping and rolling!

Piet Bouma

The Netherlands

You wrote

This only means that the power is still off

This would be the way i wanne build this one just waiting for her crew for the next flight

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

Careful - leading edge slats and leading edge flaps are 2 different things on Phantoms :)

With L/E flaps, they're connected to the boundary layer control system

and operate in conjunction with the BLC rear flaps. The passage below from

http://www.topfighters.com/fighterplanes/p.../closelook.html

explains how they operate.

(Note 'flaperons' is the groovy name given to the interconnected drooping

ailerons, but that applies to later Navy versions only.

ALL land versions have ailerons used for roll control only).

The Phantom did not have traditional ailerons that could tilt up and down to provide roll control. It instead used "flaperons", flaplike underwing surfaces outboard of the main flaps. The flaperons, like the flaps, could only tilt down, but worked in conjunction with overwing spoilers to provide roll control.

The Phantom was also fitted with leading-edge flaps. The trailing-edge flaps and the flaperons deflected 60 degrees, while the inboard leading-edge flaps deflected 30 degrees. In addition, the aircraft featured a "boundary layer control (BLC)" or "blown flaps" scheme, in which engine bleed air was blown over the flaps to increase their effectiveness at low speed, improving low-speed handling for carrier landings. The Phantom was one of the first operational aircraft to use BLC.

Ok guys I made some progress

I got round to pick up all my courage and start on the slats :)

an in progress picture

post-1504-1151869846_thumb.jpg

close up on the right side

post-1504-1151869911_thumb.jpg

all done

post-1504-1151869938_thumb.jpg

I also changed some detail on the bottom of the tail still need to replace the top side of it

a picture of it

post-1504-1151870048_thumb.jpg

I also made the parts to make the splitterplates full again as requested in the tweak list

post-1504-1151870181_thumb.jpg

Then I also sanded the triangles away on the stabilo's, still need to rescribe them and replace some rivets

post-1504-1151870393_thumb.jpg

Well thats all for now I still have a lot to do before this ones finisched

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs

The flaps and slats too? Nice.

I think I may try to make some intake blades today. I am toying with making the front blade disc spin.

Have you seen Pierres DC-3? I think that would be sweet for a jet to begin to spool up with sound.

Oh yah right.

Anyway, looking good dude.

Pete

Pete,

Very nice detailing work thus far. I look forward to seeing much more of this. Please continue to post as you progress. if it isnt too much too ask. Please explain how you do things as well. Its a big help.

Thanks,

Geoff

Pete,

Very nice detailing work thus far. I look forward to seeing much more of this. Please continue to post as you progress. if it isnt too much too ask. Please explain how you do things as well. Its a big help.

Thanks,

Geoff

Hey, this is Fredericks build! Mine is the RF-4B. I'm sure you just made a slip of the tongue. :)

Pete,

Thanks,

Geoff

Well i have some more pics in progress I'll see what I can make up later no problem, If you want more info on how to please dont hessitate and ask I'm more then willing to share.

Hey, this is Fredericks build! Mine is the RF-4B. I'm sure you just made a slip of the tongue. :lol:

Well what would you expect the plastic looks the same well almost B) and there are quite few phantoms in progress now :)

anyway yeah im doing the flaps and slats too it looks way meaner with them all out and the way I wanna put her eventualy this is going to add that little extra to it :ph34r:

Greetz STB

FredericK Jacobs

Well time for another update but its a good one and a verry sad(read bad) one at the same time :unsure:

GOOD

I finisched the stabilos and the new rivets on her rear end a few more details here and there

and that part of the bird is done B)

I also remade two triangles on the bottom side. As the few ref pics I have off the bird

I'm going to build has these too but only on the bottom side? :) Anyway at this point I would like to point out that I've come accross a few pics wich clearly show the triangles on the stabilo's so please check ref pictures to see If they are there or not.

anyway here's a pic of them rescribed and new rivets

post-1504-1152387040_thumb.jpg

Also the new placed rivets around the exhaust area thanx for the pic pete B)

post-1504-1152387110_thumb.jpg

post-1504-1152387132_thumb.jpg

BAD

I FUBAR'd the nose completly with experimenting with glue thus I need to restart all over on the cockpit

now at first I didnt wan't to now I need to B)

The cockpits got ruined because I dropped something on them while I was trying to save the nose halves :(

Yeah you know some days you just wish you didnt start at all :unsure:

anyway I came this close to toss her all in the bin but I'm sticking with it and get er done ;)

Greetz STB

Frederick Jacobs