WNW Sopwith Camel "BR"

After 13.5 months building the USS Constitution I'm returning to 1/32 LSP's with a WNW Sopwith Camel "BR".  This will be the 3rd WWI fighter produced by the Sopwith company that I have built, the Pup and Triplane being the other two.  I plan to build the Doplhin and Snipe in future builds to complete my stable of Sopwith fighters.  I will be putting a pilot in the aircraft's seat, something I don't normally do, and will have a crewman getting ready to spin the prop as part of a small vignette.  The only aftermarket thing I will use on this build will be an HGW seatbelt, the rest will be OOB.  The start of this build will be fairly slow as I have guests at the house until late next week and will be doing some entertaining. It is good to be back building an LSP!

The obligatory shot of the kit prior to any work.  Ignore the AM "wood panels" in the left side of the box; I will not be using them.

IMG_6558

The Copper State Models figures I will be using have been mostly assembled.  I plan to prime them in the next couple of days and will start painting them afterwards. 

IMG_6557

Work has begun on the cockpit.  I have punched disks to cover some the punch out marks that dry fitting showed might be seen.  Though you you can't see

them, I have drilled out holes in the frame to run bracing wires when the time comes.

IMG_6559

On 6/17/2024 at 9:49 PM, mozart said:

Good to see you back with “wingy” things Ernest! :clap2::D

On 6/17/2024 at 11:27 PM, Furie said:

Still wood and canvas, but this time it's an airplane!

The mechanic reminds me of someone, but I can't remember who...

giphy.webp

On 6/18/2024 at 12:07 AM, Gazzas said:

Nice to see you back at it, Ernest.

On 6/18/2024 at 2:44 AM, scvrobeson said:

Excellent. Looking forward to seeing the Camel come together

Matt 

On 6/18/2024 at 11:56 AM, MikeMaben said:

Looks like a fun project Ernie.  :coolio::popcorn:

On 6/18/2024 at 9:43 PM, Archimedes said:

Ganz ausgezeichnet Ernest!

Kind regards,

Paul

Thank you guys, it is good to be back building an LSP! 

Ernest 

I have spent the past few bench sessions working on the cockpit parts and they are ready to put together, and decal in the case of the instrument panel.  Below are some photos of the progress.  My visitors are departing tomorrow and I should pick up the pace on the build slightly after they leave, though I also have to make up a few hundred kilometers on the road bike that I did not do this month while they are/were visiting.

Parts primed and ready or the base colors to be airbrushed or hand painted as required.

IMG_6560

Wood base colors have been sprayed and the "grain" added to the support struts.

IMG_6561

I am using a wood decal on the floor boards.  I wanted to see how the floor boards would look if I hand painted them rather than using the airbrush, my theory being that it would add to the wood grain depth and color variation.

IMG_6562

The result turned out pretty solid and I think it looks somewhat used, not much will be seen with the pilot in place though.  I still have over spray the surface to give it a varnished look.

IMG_6564

Tamyia Translucent Orange is my favorite color to replicate varnished wood. 

IMG_6565

The photo is a bit dark, but you can see the "wood" areas now have a sheen and more depth.  I'll spray a final light coat to finish the process once this one cures overnight.

IMG_6566

Painting is complete, the wood colors now have a nice even look, though some of them are reflecting in the photo.  The next step will be to add the bracing wires

to the two side pieces and decal the instrument panel.

IMG_6567

Ernest

Nice start on this one! Some of these Camels rest also in my stash, so I am curious how you tackle this build.
What all Build reports criticize about this kit is that the interplane struts are always in the way when the fuselage is closed. But you‘ve managed the Pup and know what I‘m talking about…

Andreas

On 6/26/2024 at 11:10 AM, Gazzas said:

Nice looking details Ernest.

On 6/28/2024 at 7:39 PM, Borsos said:

Nice start on this one! Some of these Camels rest also in my stash, so I am curious how you tackle this build.
What all Build reports criticize about this kit is that the interplane struts are always in the way when the fuselage is closed. But you‘ve managed the Pup and know what I‘m talking about…

Andreas

Thank you Gary and Andreas!  Andreas, fortunately test fitting showed the interplane struts do not interfere as much as those on the Pup I built.  I think I will be able to get away with just some very minor sanding/trimming as required to get a good fit.

Ernest

Some progress to show below.  The cockpit went together nicely and the only thing I added were bracing and control wires.  I did not use the HGW seatbelt as the pilot will be in the seat and the fit is far too tight to use even a small part of the seatbelt.

The bracing wires in place.  I used small steel rod sprayed black to replicate the bracing wires.

IMG_6568

The instrument panel in position.  This turned out pretty decent; I like how the wood effect ended up.  I still have to tame the long thin decal in the center of the IP.

IMG_6570

Testing the strength and positioning of the control cables.  I used Infini medium elastic line for these.

IMG_6571

The finished cockpit tub.

IMG_6579

I decided to place the body of the pilot in his seat before fitting the cockpit tub into the fuselage, so I had to paint it at this point.  Below is the figure with the base colors airbrushed on.

IMG_6580

Those of you who have followed some of the work I have done on figures for the aircraft I build know I like to use oil paints to replicate clothing and for the faces 

of the figures.  I have had some acrylic paint that simulates leather effects and for several months now and I wanted to give them a try, so in a departure with my techniques I am going to try to simulate leather and cloth with acrylics.  The first step is to seal the base colors with a gloss coat.

IMG_6581

Next I mixed a slightly reddish tone for the darker brown colors and dry brushed that on.  To avoid the paint drying too fast I added some retarder at about a 50/50 ratio.

IMG_6582 IMG_6583

Next, I mixed a wash of two slightly different darker shades of the base shading colors and laid those on.  The lighter shade was brushed on the entire figure, while the darker shade was pin washed.

IMG_6584 IMG_6585

A cold tone highlight was then dry brushed on the figure.

IMG_6588

Finally I airbrushed a dull coat on the figure leaving the leather areas with a slight sheen while giving the trousers and puttees an almost flat finish.  The final result

was acceptable.  I think I will stick with oils for this type of work though as I can get a richer, deeper and more subtle effect with them.

IMG_6591

The headless pilot in "the office"; the fit is good, if a little tight. I will paint the head later in the build.

IMG_6591

Wrong photo!  The right one is below.

IMG_6595

14 hours ago, Greif8 said:

... A cold tone highlight was then dry brushed

What's a cold tone highlight ?

Excellent detail work Ernie .