Jump to content

b737flyer

LSP_Members
  • Posts

    39
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

b737flyer last won the day on August 26 2017

b737flyer had the most liked content!

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Bethlehem, PA USA

Recent Profile Visitors

472 profile views
  1. I didn't get much accomplished at the bench this holiday weekend but I managed to test fit the resin cockpit coaming piece provided by Aires in their set. As mentioned previously, the Hasegawa kit has this part molded integrally with the fuselage halves. The location of the gun sight is too far forward resulting in a piece missing from the coaming. A picture is worth a thousand words here... After some careful surgery with a razor saw, the kit parts are removed on both halves of the fuselage... And here we have the Aires part tacked in place with some Blu-tak to check the fit. Some tweaking is still necessary but overall it's a huge improvement. The rectangular area directly behind the coaming still needs to be removed with a sharp hobby blade. A portion of the gunsight will ultimately come up through this cutout. More importantly, the kit's windscreen still fits perfectly.
  2. After more careful examination I agree Mathieu...I might have to source a more accurate seat from another manufacturer.
  3. Thanks for that John...I have an older Quickboost set for the D-9 that has canvas boots but I did find the newer set and ordered several today!
  4. John…you’re correct, they are the same in the 190A-8 kit and are not an accurate representation. The Aires resin wheel well set for the 190A-8 looks better but I’ve not read anything good about the fit of that set. More to follow…
  5. Speaking of the cockpit, I'll start with a comparison of the kit offering from Hasegawa and the newly released Aires resin set. The Aires cockpit (foreground) has some excellent detail to include the seat, side consoles, and the floor. The real bonus, however, is the corrected coaming section for under the windscreen area. Hasegawa has this integrally molded into the fuselage halves and incorrectly depicts both the position of the gunsight and the coaming itself. While the Aires part requires some cutting of the kit parts to replace, I think it will definitely improve this area which is highly visible in the cockpit. The instrument panel is the traditional PE-acetate sandwich that I may replace with a Quinta 3d printed set if I can get my hands on one.
  6. I just started one as well - hopefully we can keep each other motivated!
  7. This project has been a long time coming and I'm excited to finally get things going. As you can see I've been collecting aftermarket for quite some time now and the recent release of the Aires resin cockpit for the Hasegawa kit was more or less the "missing link" that was needed to jumpstart the project. So, stay tuned and hopefully I'll be able to keep the motivation flowing!
  8. Thanks to all for the kind words - on to the next one!
  9. I started this build almost three years ago and it sat on the bench for a long time with about 90% of the construction completed. I finally gathered the mojo to finish it and it was a lot of fun - my first 1/32 109 and definitely not my last! I added the following aftermarket: * Synthetic Ordnance Works main gear legs * Eagle Editions drop tank * Barracuda Studios prop and spinner, exhausts, intake, oil cooler scoop, wheels * Quickboost Revi 16B gunsight * HGW fabric seatbelts * Master barrels and pitot tube Painted with Mr. Color lacquers. With the exception of the smaller stencils which are decals, all markings were painted using masks cut on a Silhouette Cameo 4 craft cutter.
  10. I managed to finish up yesterday and get some photos taken...more are posted over in Ready for Inspection.
  11. Today I attached the gear doors, drop tank, and propeller/spinner. The drop tank was weathered with a combination of oil and enamel washes. I also started some localized chipping and staining on the fuselage around access panels and hatches. Much more to go but it's a good start.
  12. Thanks for the kind words. I use a Nikon D5300 DSLR and cheap studio lights with 5500 lumen bulbs from Amazon. Normally I shoot in Aperture mode and use a tripod and remote to prevent any blurring associated with camera shake. I have a couple of vinyl backgrounds (white, graduated blue, graduated gray) that I picked up from B&H Photo here in the US. Occasionally I'll do some post-processing in Adobe Photoshop Elements for things like sharpness or to crop the size. The most important thing I learned a couple of years ago was setting the white balance of your camera for the type of lighting you're photographing under. In short, white balance takes into account the "color temperature" of the lights you're using to remove unrealistic color casts so things that are white in person appear white in the photo. Once that's set all colors appear realistic to what they are in person. It's pretty easy to do and if you have a DSLR the manual should have a dedicated section on setting it.
  13. She's got legs...and knows how to use them. This was a major accomplishment today - getting the landing gear and wheels attached. All of the geometry associated with the gear legs and wheels of the 109 makes it difficult to get everything lined up and looking good. I used Synthetic Ordnance Works outstanding resin/wire replacement gear legs and wheels from Barracuda Studios. I'll work on the gear doors tomorrow and hopefully get the prop and spinner mounted as well.
  14. After looking at some more references, I thought I could probably make the prop blades look a little more realistic. So, here's take two. Much better I think.
×
×
  • Create New...