F-35A, 34th FS Hill AFB

Zero77

Hi guys !

bNW4cuY.jpg

I've started this build last august, and have been working only on this one since then, but it took me so long to get it done.... I chose this "simple" kit as i thought it would be a quick build. It was definitely not.

I built it almost OOB, except a PE detail set for the cockpit and belts, and the Furball decals sheet. I added a few details here and there that were lacking the Italeri kit. Otherwise the kit is a nice kit, with correct fit, but prepare some putty if you need to make the doors closed. The canopy did not fit at all, i just dont know if it was my fault or not.

The paint is MRP, the lighter grey of the zig-zag being a custom mix of MRP. The whole aircraft received the have glass finish (clear varnish with metal particles from MRP) and the zig zag were flat coated to get a different finish. Unfortunately, due to the many touch-ups i have to do, this effect is not as noticeable as it should be.

What was a real PITA and took me the most of time was the masking. I spent several weeks on it (ok, i also had a lot of work at this time and did not spent hours on my build every day !).

Well, i was very happy to finish it. Then i had to wait for almost 3 weeks to shoot the pictures as it was raining EVERY day since more than a month.... Crazy !  (Now it's snowing !).

I know some people dislike this aircraft (i understand, you're taxpayers, too ! :) ), but i hope you will like that model. I wanted something very modern in my display, and now i cannot have anything more modern than this one. ;)

Here is a link to the WIP thread : http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=70567

s3vbNh6.jpg
Wje6PtH.jpg
1XO84AN.jpg
dYHUxvV.jpg
YevW6tX.jpg
eBslhPP.jpg
NyJExnM.jpg
dCeAO3X.jpg
wQqu9rB.jpg
eazp2iR.jpg
7uxhHBN.jpg

Edited by Zero77

Very nice model

Ugly aircraft indeed, but I guess we will all get accustomed to it :)

Well, i was very happy to finish it. Then i had to wait for almost 3 weeks to shoot the pictures as it was raining EVERY day since more than a month.... Crazy ! (Now it's snowing !).

I know that feeling, i'm in the same boat :)

Glad to see the MRP have glass paint being used as i have been wondering if they were worth it.

In the beginning of reading your post, i wasn't impressed by the effect of these paints - my expectation must have been higher - but i know it's an effect hardly visible on pictures.

but looking at your last comparison picture, i think you nailed it pretty well

Well done !

Thanks guys !

Glad to see the MRP have glass paint being used as i have been wondering if they were worth it.
In the beginning of reading your post, i wasn't impressed by the effect of these paints - my expectation must have been higher - but i know it's an effect hardly visible on pictures.

It gives a slightly metallic sheen. After a slight polishing with micromesh, you get a very nice satin finish. The effect i tried to get is to have the two tones of grey that may look either lighter or darker depending of the light reflection. It does work, indeed as on some pictures the zigzag look lighter than the main grey, on other angles they look almost the same, or on other angles it seems even darker.