how many Mk.83 bombs can be carried simultaneously on a single MER?

Luca

compatibly to their dimensions... can you make a combination of the places please?

es. fwdport, fwdstarboard, fwddown, rearport, rearstarboard, reardown

my main doubt was the three closer positions (left, right, down), as IIRC I saw a F-4E photo with 2 Mk.83 placed side-by-side on a TER but no one lower

The most limiting factor is likely to be the airframe rather than the munitions.

I've only ever seen 6 x 750 lb on an F-105 MER, 6 x 500 lb or or 4 x 750 lb or 4 x 1000 lb on A-4, A-6 and F-4,

I may have seen 6 x 1000 lb on an F-111 inner pylon, but can't locate the publication that had the photo and load chart in it.

Physical length of the 83 prevents having two in a row on a MER. They have to be staggered. Two on front sides and one on rear bottom.

phisycally was possible two Mk.83 on front sides (plus one M.117 bottom) and two M.117 on rear sides (plus one Mk.83 bottom)? length does not interfere in this way...

phisycally was possible two Mk.83 on front sides (plus one M.117 bottom) and two M.117 on rear sides (plus one Mk.83 bottom)? length does not interfere in this way...

The Mk.83 is effectively a Navy bomb and the M117 was Air Force. Are you asking if Israel mixed them?

The stores likely have different ballistics and separation characteristics so this kind of mix is for static display at airshows, if done.

The 432nd TRW's F-4D squadrons did some weird stuff ca.1969-1971 mixing AIM-4D Falcons, TERs, Mk.82 bombs and ECM pods but I've never seen that kind of weird thing elsewhere.

Tony

At least in Vietnam, USMC used both 83s and 117s but I don't recall ever seeing mixed load MERs with both types, if it was even done. Was either one type or the other. 3x83s is pretty impressive as it is for one MER!

yes ziggyfoos... three mk.83s plus three mk.82s (or m.117s or mk.20s).

my doubt is if the upper side bomb, dropped, can "bump" the lower centerline bomb (considering the -83 size)...

Edited by Luca

You have to take into account the weight limit of the bomb rack installed in the pylon that you hang the MER/TER or munition from.

If I remember correctly, the weight capacity of the MAU-12 bomb rack was 5,000 pounds ...... hang a MER, with six 500 pound bombs from it and you are looking at about 3,500 pounds, same as hanging three Mk-83 bombs from a MER. 

Edited by scott_t