Ok I need your help...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 LSP_Kevin

LSP_Kevin

• Administrator
  • 40,068 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:55 PM

Neil, if you've lost your mojo, try what I call a "modelling holiday": build something completely out of your comfort zone, rather than the same old stuff that you're struggling to feel excited about now. Instead of an aircraft kit, build a tank, a ship, something sci-fi, or even an aircraft in a different scale or period than you normally do. This allows you to have fun with the modelling process again, without the burden or subconscious pressure of trying to achieve a particular standard with it. It helps take you out of your rut, and can be very effective at getting you excited about modelling again.

Kev

• Luca, Cees Broere and Gerhard like this

#17 Mustang JBB

Mustang JBB

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 08:58 PM

thanks all for the feedback. Have been searching some of the suggestions on line and on an auction site - the X1 took my interest but can't find it for sale. Interestingly whilst looking for Bell X1 I came across the Airacobra, a plane I've never previously built.  Found special hobby and kitty hawk kits and like the look of it in Russian markings. Think you may have steered me to my next kit (unless you any significant negative feedback on these kits ??)

thanks once again

neil

DO NOT CHOOSE EITHER OF AIRCOBRA KITS!!!  Neither is easy to build and both have lots of parts and none of them fit very well.

Hasegawa 109's have just a few parts, but German paint jobs are a challenge to get right.  Try to avoid anything with a radial engine as that adds to the part count.  P-51s make a good choice.  if you are not a detail fanatic, the old Hasegawa or revell kits make easy builds.  If you can wait a week or so, the New Tool Revell P-51D is supposed to be very nice and cheap.  Not too many fiddly parts either.  

The X-1 should be easy to find and fits very well.  The new tool Revell Spitfire is OK and the paint job is easy enough.  Maybe slap together and old monogram bomber without the interior as a hangup model.  

To take a break from plastic and clear my head, I will build something out of balsa.  I always have a little laser cut Guillows kit going in the background.  Laying tissue is easy and satisfying.  Nowadays there are products you can use instead of old fashioned "dope" that are cheap and don't fry your brain.

#18 npb748r

npb748r

LSP Member

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:46 PM

thanks again all, message is coming through load and clear - either the P40 or the P51D. Just did a quick internet search and the new P51D looks good, I;'d like to do something other than a US aircraft so will make the decision based on the best scheme I can find - I like to do obscure markings and prefer to not do bear metal. Really appreciate the advice, will post a few pictures as I progress. And I will use the airbrush.

thanks

neil    

#19 RLWP

RLWP

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 10:59 PM

thanks again all, message is coming through load and clear - either the P40 or the P51D. Just did a quick internet search and the new P51D looks good, I;'d like to do something other than a US aircraft so will make the decision based on the best scheme I can find - I like to do obscure markings and prefer to not do bear metal. Really appreciate the advice, will post a few pictures as I progress. And I will use the airbrush.

thanks

neil    

Well....

HH44-72413.jpg

http://www.mustangsm...serial/44-72413

I guess you may have to be a bit creative to make a 'proper' model, but as a quick, colourful build that looks good

There are other Mustang racers, love them

Richard

MORE: This looks easier:

44-72413_9308_hg1.jpg

Edited by RLWP, 03 January 2018 - 11:00 PM.

#20 D Bellis

D Bellis

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:10 AM

Combining ideas,  Bell X-1A in blue:

That airplane is not "blue". It is natural aluminum reflecting the sky above and the desert below. It is also the X-1A with a different nose, spine, canopy and cockpit from what the Revell kit provides.

D

Edited by D Bellis, 04 January 2018 - 12:17 AM.

You can lead a person to information, but you can't make them think.

"Emotion is the enemy of reason." - Immanuel Kant

#21 D Bellis

D Bellis

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,869 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:13 AM

Well...

http://www.mustangsm...serial/44-72413

I guess you may have to be a bit creative to make a 'proper' model, but as a quick, colourful build that looks good

There are other Mustang racers, love them

Richard

MORE: This looks easier:

Neither of those P-51Ds can be built from the Revell kit because that kit lacks the dorsal fin fillet (much to the chagrin of anyone who knows anything about Mustangs).

As for the OP's question, my vote goes to the previously mentioned Hasegawa Bf 109F/G/K kits, especially the F.

HTH,

D

You can lead a person to information, but you can't make them think.

"Emotion is the enemy of reason." - Immanuel Kant

#22 ssculptor

ssculptor

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 12:17 AM

If I want an easy to build, inexpensive airplane kit in 1/32 I go for the old kits made by Revell USA, Monogram, Hasegawa, Williams Brothers, and a few other old brands. They were pretty good representations, state of the art circa 1960's and are found on eBay at a reasonable cost ($10- to $30). They are guaranteed to drive a Fine Scale Modeler screaming as he runs out of the building but aside from that amusement they are pretty OK models. 

Stephen

Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?
The Shadow knows!
Nyah hah hah hah hah.

#23 1to1scale

1to1scale

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 632 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:08 AM

Hasegawa are easy but typically cost $50+, the new tool Revell kits like the spitfire mkii or the BF-109G’s are cheap and easy, between $20-30.
  • The Southern Bandit likes this

#24 ringleheim

ringleheim

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:01 AM

Neil,

Are you a Star Wars fan?  If you want to follow the advice from up-thread and try something fresh and new, pick your favorite of the new Bandai Star Wars kits and have at it.  They fall together, have great fit and detail, and most feature monochromatic paint schemes where your rattle can work would fit nicely.

They have the X-wing, TIE-Fighter, Y-Wing, Slave I and many others.

If you really want a 1/32 aircraft kit specifically, a cheap, easy, no-nonsense kit would be most of the Hasegawa stuff as has already been mentioned.  Their FW-190 A series are nice kits that fall together if you like that.

Also, some of the very recent Revell of Germany kits are actually pretty nice and dirt cheap.

The Arado seaplane is cool, the FW 190 is OK and so on.  

I don't know. It's hard to give someone inspiration!  I suffer from this from time to time myself.  I open a box, look it over, put it back.  Then out of the blue I will be filled with inspiration to work on something I've had for 5 years.  Where it comes from, I have no idea.

For about 6 months now I have been obsessed with the WNW kits and WWI in general; after a lifetime of having no interest in WWI!  Where it comes from I don't know, but the inspiration has to come from within you!

#25 LSP_Ray

LSP_Ray

• LSP Moderator
  • 9,205 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 06:19 AM

Neil,

Are you a Star Wars fan?  If you want to follow the advice from up-thread and try something fresh and new, pick your favorite of the new Bandai Star Wars kits and have at it.  They fall together, have great fit and detail, and most feature monochromatic paint schemes where your rattle can work would fit nicely.

They have the X-wing, TIE-Fighter, Y-Wing, Slave I and many others.

I was thinking of the same thing! Bandai kits are well engineered - about as good as Tamiya. Plus, Hobby Lobby carries several of them. With their online 40% off coupons you can pick up one cheap!

Posted Image
Ray "Bad Omen" Peterson

#26 RLWP

RLWP

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 10:06 AM

(much to the chagrin of anyone who knows anything about Mustangs).

I find this can be the cause of my 'creative blocks'. I notice that the builds I'm stalled on are usually the ones where the research material I have weighs about twice as much as the model itself!

To be honest, one of the quickest ways to have fun would be to buy a cheap and cheerful 1:72 plane and build it wheels up, cockpit closed. That Mustang would look pretty cool like that

Hmm, Airfix P-51D, £8 on Ebay - I remember that was my first kit I painted and finished 'properly' as a kid. Tempting...

Richard

Edited by RLWP, 04 January 2018 - 10:07 AM.

#27 TonyT

TonyT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:06 PM

How about a 1/32 21st century kit, they are accurate, easy to build and the pilot figures are excellent.

• Shawn M likes this

#28 Gerhard

Gerhard

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 02:22 PM

I hit that same wall. and just took my time on a 1/72nd to get back in the groove. Also found that researching the subject in hand, made me look forward to the build more. 

• RLWP likes this

#29 dennismcc

dennismcc

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,579 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 03:26 PM

What I did when  got fed up was to build a kit that I normally would not touch with a barge pole, in my case a 1/32nd He219 from Revell, too big for me and I know next to nowt about Luftwaffe matters so I would not fret about accuracy too much. I thoroughly enjoyed the build and completed it in far less time than I normally take.

Cheers

Dennis

#30 mmaben

mmaben

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 12:17 AM

I'm not a completer finisher - I probably have more WIP models than completed however over the past 6 months I have lost my mojo - I pick up a box from the stash, open it, look it over and put it back.

I'd recommend grabbing one of those WIPs and finishing it.

I've never understood how building a shaker helps one get

their mojo back. Mojos can come and go on a daily (or in

my case hourly) basis. Drawing from my years of experience

as a free lance phychiatrist ( :rolleyes:), I'd say finishing something

you've already started would be the best medicine for your problem.

It's not that you have a problem finishing a kit, it's that you have

a problem starting back up where you left off. You've gotta get

over the hump.

But if all else fails ... mojo2small.jpg

...and good luck     :thumbsup:

I just like airplanes

Mike                        Smirnoffcat    RomanianG-2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users