Tamiya Mosquito FB VI - 3/22 - Figure painting completed

Bstarr3

Here it is, my first WIP thread on this site. I've been back in the hobby for a little over a year after a couple of decades layoff, and have been working in 1/48 exclusively and posting on FSM mostly. This will be my first 1/32 build, and I will be taking it slow since it's such a huge kit. I will be eventually painting and marking her up as one of the Amiens raiders from 464 Squadron.

First picture is just the kit in box in my newly reorganized workspace. Also pictured is my brand new homemade spray booth.

20171227_170529.jpg

20171227_170532.jpg

I think I'm going to start tonight and will post some pics once I begin. I have no hope to produce something of the same quality as some of the amazing threads I read on here, but I hope to have fun and learn a lot. I welcome any and all comments and criticisms - it's the only way to get better! Thanks for having such an inspiring and welcoming forum.

Edited by Bstarr3

Santa was very generous to me this year. I have a lot in front of me:

20171227_194052.jpg

I had been told by a few people on this site that this kit was overwhelming, and perhaps too much for a first attempt at 1/32. I went out to my garage workshop tonight, eager to prove them wrong, and was immediately overwhelmed. I pulled the box open and just stared at the sheer amount of plastic, not to mention photo etch, in front of me. After wading to the bottom of the box I found the very nice instructions and reference booklet, but was again overwhelmed at the thickness of the instructions. When feeling overwhelmed with a project, I feel it's best to dive in and get started with it. After reading some from the "How to Build" book, I followed the instructions of building subassemblies, with a plan to paint later, but before things get too put together as to impair painting. So here is the pilot's seat with armored bulkhead.

20171227_212600.jpg

I had read this truck somewhere about coloring the sprue labels to make big kits easier to sort. Just makes it easier to see which sprue you're dealing with at a glance

20171227_204343.jpg

I stopped for the evening at the point where the instructions called for installing the harnesses. I'm going to be trying out these HGW fabric jobs for the first time. I can't imagine trying to do these in 1/48 or god forbid 1/72!

20171227_213136.jpg

I also apparently need to decide already if I'm going to be using the figures or not. I'm leaning towards yes. In the meantime I'll keep plugging away at the cockpit and posting photos. Thanks for looking.

Aaand I just realized as I was looking at my post that I only have one fabric harness but need two. Maybe I'll save this one for a Spit and do what I can with the kit ones. Can stainless steel etch be annealed for pliability like brass? Also does the burnishing fluid work on it?

Don, Dan, Kev, Harv, and Gaz - thanks for initial words of encouragement. I can definitely use them. I do love Tamiya kits from a design and engineering standpoint, but I've never liked their instructions. I just find them very busy, with the multiple languages, multiple icons and callouts for colors, decals, PE, etc. I prefer the clean layout of Airfix or Revell instructions

Lovely kit - I've got it but haven't started it yet (looking forward though).

The HGW belts are an acquired taste :-) First time i sweared a lot, promising never to do it again. But then, I had already bought a bunch of them so I did it again, and it was much better second time around and now I cannot live without them.

Highlighting the frame letters - bloody smart - will do that for sure in the future !!!

Super tip on coloring the sprue letter. First time i come across that one and will be using it!

I'm itching to start my mosquito but need to get through that camel i am working on at the mo!

As Thomas said hgw belts are an acquired taste. I today can't possibly build anything without them. One tip i sometimes use is to thread the belt in the photoetch buckles while they are still on their fret then cut the buckle off. Helps with not losing those or having them ping off. Don't forget to remove the backing paper on the belts it's caught quite a few people i know!

Looking forward to your progress!

Karim

Nice start on your Mossie.

Yes, the stainless belts can be annealed like brass to make them softer.

The build can be a slog at times. I shelved my build for a year when it was about 70% done. Harv on here convinced me to restart and I did get it finished after a couple of months.

One more bit of AM I would suggest are the intake and rad screens from RB Productions. The intake screens on the kit are clear plastic and just don't look the part.

Carl

Guest Peterpools

Great to see another tamiya Mossie underway.

I finished mine earlier this year and it is simply a magnificent kit. Just follow the instructions step by step, take your time and you will be rewarded with a fantastic build experience.

Carl's Mossie is a gem and a great build to follow and I bounced quite a few questions of him. I did mine OOB and couldn't be happier with the results.

Looking forward to following along

Keep 'em comin

Peter