#2 harvey

harvey

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,301 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:29 PM

Thanks Berry. Salute to all and NEVER FORGET.....Harv
  • Martinnfb, LSP_Typhoonattack, Out2gtcha and 3 others like this

There's a fine line between cuddling and holding someone down so they can't get away
working on:  Tamiya F4U-2 Night Fighter
Trump P-38M BACK ON BENCH FINISHED!!!

#3 CATCplSlade

CATCplSlade

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 08:38 PM

The people who will never forget will all be dead before long, at least in the U.S., because we don't teach history very well in our schools anymore.

My co-teacher and I asked a group of high school seniors if they knew what happened today 76 years ago and ONE student took a stab at it. He said D-Day.

I don't even want to ask if they remember the Alamo. Hell, we hardly talk about 9/11 anymore.

Edited by CATCplSlade, 07 December 2017 - 08:38 PM.

• Jack, Martinnfb, harvey and 3 others like this

Working on: AIR - Revell Spitfire Mk IIa   LAND - Bandai 1/30 Hummel, Zvezda Mercedes L4500A, Dragon Kubelwagen Ambulance

#4 Jennings Heilig

Jennings Heilig

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,966 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:06 PM

My favorite photo of her. Happier days.

ahtyfa.jpg

Edited by Jennings Heilig, 07 December 2017 - 09:09 PM.

• Martinnfb, harvey, Uncarina and 4 others like this

"It's all part of the show..."

#5 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,793 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 09:13 PM

When my parents were still alive, today more then any other, brought back the memories of World War 2. and the sacrifices so many were yet to make. It marks the beginning of the Greatest Generation, who are leaving us at an alarming rate .. may they rest in peace.

Peter

• Jack, Martinnfb, harvey and 2 others like this

Trumpeter SBD-1

gCSaNS.jpg

#6 Jack

Jack

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:31 PM

what you guys and girls experienced in the west or the east is of course the same as what the people in europe went thru in that same era, but indeed what Peterpools said, that great generation is fading into oblivion more and more, and it's up to us to uphold the memories strong and vivid to others after us......that being said it's sad to hear and learn about modern day generation representatives, who don't even know what 1941 Pearl Harbor or even D-day in Europe were in those days, i guess history is placed in a relative position depending on circumstances, whatever generation is looking into it............

Edited by Jack, 07 December 2017 - 10:32 PM.

• Martinnfb, harvey, Peterpools and 2 others like this

everyone in the circuit switch off your radios....now switch 'em back on again......

#7 Jack

Jack

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:40 PM

Hell, we hardly talk about 9/11 anymore.

right......what caused that you think???????

• Martinnfb, harvey and MARU5137 like this

everyone in the circuit switch off your radios....now switch 'em back on again......

#8 eoyguy

eoyguy

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 10:54 PM

... i guess history is placed in a relative position depending on circumstances, whatever generation is looking into it............

This

While it disturbs many that history and historical events all gradually fade into...history, we all are "guilty" of it at some level. Do we in the US still remember or commemorate the day the Confederacy surrendered, the Battle of Gettysburg,  the day the USS Maine exploded, the day William McKinley was shot (or that he was shot at all?), the list goes on. I'm 48, and my memory of what I think of as recent history is ancient history to my nieces and nephews. The Vietnam war is to them what WWII was when I was their age, just images in documentaries, "old" movies like Platoon and Full Metal Jacket and gray haired politicians screaming about who did and did not serve. I don't worry about it so much, there are bigger, everyday issues to deal with than who remembers what...its not like it will repeat itself or anything. Oh, wait... :hmmm:

Edited by eoyguy, 07 December 2017 - 10:56 PM.

• Jack, Martinnfb and harvey like this
You talkin' to me? Well I'm the only one here.

Just because we can't obtain perfection doesn't mean that we shouldn't strive for improvement.

#9 Jack

Jack

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,095 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:12 PM

This

While it disturbs many that history and historical events all gradually fade into...history, we all are "guilty" of it at some level. Do we in the US still remember or commemorate the day the Confederacy surrendered, the Battle of Gettysburg,  the day the USS Maine exploded, the day William McKinley was shot (or that he was shot at all?), the list goes on. I'm 48, and my memory of what I think of as recent history is ancient history to my nieces and nephews. The Vietnam war is to them what WWII was when I was their age, just images in documentaries, "old" movies like Platoon and Full Metal Jacket and gray haired politicians screaming about who did and did not serve. I don't worry about it so much, there are bigger, everyday issues to deal with than who remembers what...its not like it will repeat itself or anything. Oh, wait... :hmmm:

wow, i think you may have touched a  nerve or two on that one.........

• Martinnfb, harvey and MARU5137 like this

#10 Mark_C

Mark_C

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:40 PM

I think we just tend to forget after a while, which is both a blessing and a curse.  A curse because, as Santayana said, "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."  But it's a blessing, too.  Not that many years ago, Japanese people were called all sorts of names, and derided as being sneaky and "yellow."  When I was a kid, and the worst insult we could use about a toy was that it "was made in Japan."  Now we look on the Japanese with admiration for their work ethic and the quality of their products, and we're happy to be their allies. 

#11 CATCplSlade

CATCplSlade

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:46 PM

right......what caused that you think???????

I don't really know. As a WTC survivor, I used to be asked to give a presentation to the student body, and for some reason the principal (former Army Captain who was part of the Bin Laden hunt) just stopped asking me to do it about 5 years ago.

Working on: AIR - Revell Spitfire Mk IIa   LAND - Bandai 1/30 Hummel, Zvezda Mercedes L4500A, Dragon Kubelwagen Ambulance

#12 eoyguy

eoyguy

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 741 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:58 PM

Lets look at the attack on Pearl in an objective way and set aside the infamy for a moment. What did it achieve? For the Japanese, very little. They sank some obsolete battleships and a few other smaller ships that would matter very little in the larger scheme of things. The aircraft carriers and their supporting cruisers and new battleships that would go on to win the war in the Pacific were not there or were yet to be built.  While useful after they were raised and repaired, the old battlewagons were fairly easily replaced with newer and much better types.  While the 2,800 lost lives were of course unfortunate, the Russians, French, Polish and British had already lost many, many thousands. What did it achieve for the US and the world? First, it drew the US into the war much sooner than it may have otherwise, probably by many months. Imagine 1942 or even into 1943 if the US hadn't declared war on Japan and Hitler hadn't stupidly declared war on the US. Roosevelt wanted to enter the war, but had already told Churchill he would not declare it without provocations (which he was working hard to cause). There is a reason Churchill was overjoyed to hear of the attack. It also made the US into a preeminent world militarypower, industrial giant and first nuclear power. When would that have happened otherwise? By and large, the attack was a massive boon for the US and a disaster for the Japanese. Infamous? Perhaps, but downright fortuitous for the US and the rest of the world.

Edited by eoyguy, 08 December 2017 - 12:00 AM.

• Jack, Martinnfb, harvey and 2 others like this
You talkin' to me? Well I'm the only one here.

Just because we can't obtain perfection doesn't mean that we shouldn't strive for improvement.

#13 Jennings Heilig

Jennings Heilig

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,966 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 12:44 AM

Of course there are still people who will tell you that Roosevelt collaborated with the Japanese to make Pearl Harbor happen.  

• Martinnfb likes this

"It's all part of the show..."

#14 Martinnfb

Martinnfb

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,919 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 01:31 AM

Well, we are aware of the mechanics of war. It is a very profitable business machine that needs a spark and the fuel. Needless to say that we all pay the price generation after generation as if it was so hard to remember the suffering and pain of our ancestors .

I am so thankful to all our veterans and serviceman for their sacrifice.

• Adrian, harvey, Uncarina and 3 others like this

In progress:   D-13 ; Ta-152V7 ; Mig-29 ; EMIL ; P-39 Аэрокобра ; Avia S-199 ; K-14 what if

Done:            F-8 F-8 Wurger Party ; D-9 ; D-15; Ta-152E ; P-40E 

#15 quang

quang

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 02:52 AM

Well, we are aware of the mechanics of war. It is a very profitable business machine that needs a spark and the fuel. Needless to say that we all pay the price generation after generation as if it was so hard to remember the suffering and pain of our ancestors .
I am so thankful to all our veterans and serviceman for their sacrifice.

Lest we forget, there were also some civilians who died in the process.
  • Martinnfb, BiggTim and MikeC like this

In process: Fly 1/32 Hurricane MK IIC

In sleeping: Kitty Hawk P-39 Airacobra

:mellow: Elbow grease and toxic fumes  :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users