Meng 1/35 Whippet, mental pallet cleanser.

1to1scale

I don't normally build armor, but I came across this kit online and I was captivated. Let me say this, Meng is on-par, if not better than Tamiya. This kit went together withouth any issues, any it did have, was builder induced.

TXcaeos.jpg

I got this kit yesterday, today I figured I would just start cutting track prices off the sprues since there are 144 of them, each with three attachment point, yes I snipped plastic 432 times on the tracks alone. Now let's talk about idler wheels, there are a lot, so I kept snipping, each idler is two pieces.

8rGiCe3.jpg

Next I kept going, each track is a modest 68 links, so I made up 4 lengths of 34 each, relatively easy, I ended up breaking 3 pins, but they include several extra links. I figured keeping them short makes it easier to airbrush.

x4ZqhpM.jpg

gFCniku.jpg

Next I kept going and decided to build all the idler pairs, went pretty quick and I divided the three different types into mixing cups. I then loaded them up in the back plates

pDhPThP.jpg

I finished assembling each side, all of the nice inside detail, including chains and sprockets completely disappears. I didn't bother doing any detail painting, because after the tracks go on, it's all hidden.

2IfFSfM.jpg

I next assembled the crew compartment, it's comprised of about 20 pieces, I went slightly out of order so I could help use the roof pieces to alight the sides. There are a few small gaps I need to fill with acrylic putty, but I blame me using Tamiya thin instead of a slower drying glue.

OMxH1Ju.jpg

I finished up the fuel tank and some extra pieces, and it's time to paint, I left off the j-hooks off the side plates and few other parts like machine guns, tools, and mufflers, but that's it, took me all of 5 hours from start to finish.

ejihYDo.jpg

Edited by 1to1scale

Nice work and Now I am captivated. I have been put off on this kit by the large number of fiddle parts for the drive train. You have managed them well. I think that this would look good when displayed next to an early armored car (wire spoked wheels). Both with all the huge bolts and rivets. Carry on,

Rick

I finished all the little hooks, guns, and dangly bits today, then started paint using Badger Stynylrez primer and the AK Olive drab modulation set.

Primer

cfPOFtW.jpg

nAfHcoY.jpg

Rust under coat, with Vallejo chipping fluid.

nCP3WjA.jpg

Shadow base coat

kp6DfP8.jpg

fjOYx0t.jpg

Base color

wpiFTbN.jpg

Highlight

kj21iKL.jpg

Final highlight

0EcX75k.jpg

Color unit insignia

ZmRYOnv.jpg

Z9RX6ti.jpg

So I was in bed last night...I couldn't wait. I got up and started the chipping process. Went ok, not perfect, and I leaned a few things for the frank build. Luckily, on armor, you can throw some mud and weathering on top to cover up the spots I over did it.

Jrl4loM.jpg

qIitpNF.jpg

LrnRxUZ.jpg

A3nPdYU.jpg

Let me say this, Meng is on-par, if not better than Tamiya. This kit went together withouth any issues, any it did have, was builder induced.

I agree. Meng has the buildability of Tamiya without the over-simplification in their armor (we're talking armor here, as the Tamiya 1/32nd planes are among the finest models in ANY scale of ANY subject I have seen.

Oh, and great build.

Edited by Bill Cross

Looking really good!  I love this thing! 

Glad to hear you really like the kit and it is very high quality.

I have found Meng's quality to vary from kit to kit. 

None of it is bad; it's all quite good, but some kits are definitely better than others.

I put together their M3A3 Bradley, and that thing surprised me.  It might be one of the top 3 model kits I've ever assembled in my life.  Just a phenomenal kit.

Meng's new King Tiger, for example, is a good kit, but not in the same league as the M3A3.