Brass casting LSP gear

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,032 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:47 PM

Ok gents and gentettes.........................

After a lengthy discussion with an LSPer at the US NATs, and later a discussion about it between a lot of us LSPers at the show, we have all come to the mutual conclusion that there is a BIG need for some brass cast gear around here that looks like may NEVER be filled.

G-Factor looks to have gone incommunicado for whatever reason, and there has been zero response to any number of requests to Ernie and crew, about casting new models of gear.

With the release of the new HpH Tigercat showing (UHHHHHH!!!) of all things a pinned nose gear (im actually pretty upset about that myself), and the fact that I myself am holding off two, and know personally about 6 other guys holding off building KHMs OV-10s for lack of stable and strong MLG for that kit, I am just putting this out there, so see if there is something we can do as a community about it.

That being said, I know as a personal fact that two separate LSPers are already checking into possible brass casters, but I wanted to get this thread rolling to see if anyone else had any ideas on a way to get some LSP landing gear cast in brass?

I know for SURE at the top of the list of needed brass gear are the two I mentioned above:

- KHM OV-10 Bronco

- HpH F7F Tigercat

Edited by Out2gtcha, 11 August 2017 - 07:48 PM.

• Rick Griewski, harvey, Peterpools and 1 other like this

#2 Smitty44

Smitty44

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:56 PM

Get out the fishing line! Time to start hanging them from the ceiling again!

• Rick Griewski, scvrobeson, harvey and 3 others like this

Charlie Company, 7th Engineers Suppt Bttn, 1st FSSG, !st Mar Div

#3 Smitty44

Smitty44

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:57 PM

Truth be told the GFactor stuff is out of stock alot of places so there will be a need for more and more.

• harvey and Out2gtcha like this

Charlie Company, 7th Engineers Suppt Bttn, 1st FSSG, !st Mar Div

#4 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,032 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:06 PM

Yeah, Im not even 100% convinced we will see anything new from G-Factor, let alone a new set of OV-10 gear or T-Cat setup. 

• harvey likes this

#5 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,028 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:09 PM

An update, Brian.  According to a well know Resin mode lmaker here on LSP who makes cool 1950s Navy Jets, racers, cars, and our favorite British/Australian/Canadian shipborne 1950s piston fighter, Mr. Gee is alive and well, although terribly overextended with work.

This is late breaking as of just the other day, and the info came about with my preparing to place an order with him for the Ford and the Gutless Cutlass. 

This man of whom I speak, being a VERY reliable and trustworthy individual, encourages me to hold out hope that the pipeline may be just a bit jammed right now.

However, that being said, we know that Mr. Gee has said in the past that the OV.10 gear will be extremely tough to do because of the intricacy and geometry.

This might sound like the perfect time to become creative modelers as we all discussed a couple weeks back.

I like your plan for some steel and brass work...

Or, possibly on this one, is there a place where a pinned gear might be in order here, at least for now? SOMETHING is always better than nothing at all.

I'm one of those half dozen you mentioned, I'm sure. I'm ready to go....

• Rick Griewski, harvey, Uncarina and 1 other like this

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stärker

#6 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,028 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:10 PM

I personally have NO idea what's involved in making brass castings.

• harvey likes this

#7 Kagemusha

Kagemusha

• LSP Moderator
  • 9,449 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:15 PM

Ernie's far from the easiest person to get a response from, though he has released some sets which surprise, such as for the Hunter and Hawk.

I bought a very nice set of brass u/c for the P-39 a few years ago, which Alan in Austria had made, so maybe contact him?

The Revell Typhoon (Eurofighter) could do with a brass u/c set.

Edited by Kagemusha, 11 August 2017 - 08:18 PM.

• Tony T, harvey, Out2gtcha and 1 other like this

#8 Out2gtcha

Out2gtcha

• LSP Moderator
  • 20,032 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 08:28 PM

Im still not giving up on the OV-10, but I think that brass gear for the forthcoming F7F may be a bit more unlikely. 

I can probably find a way to mod the T-Cat gear too, as I well and TRULY hate the way the pinned gear looks. It really destroys the look of the nose of the aircraft for me, and instantly reminds me its a model and even reminds me a bit of a toy factor. 

• harvey and Clunkmeister like this

#9 Peterpools

Peterpools

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,669 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:04 PM

I'm in for the brass gear as finding G Factors gear is a struggle.

I'm in for gear for:

HPH Tigercat

Fisher F4D ... just to be on the safe side

I normally buy Ernie's gear when I can find it for future builds as I know when I need them, I won't be able to buy them

Peter

• harvey likes this

On the bench: Trumpeter A6A Intruder VA-165 Boomers

USS Constellation 1971-72

#10 hamfists nz

hamfists nz

Hooked For Life

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:22 PM

I've had a try with white metal gear and I've considered it for my future 1/48 F-105...but I get 2 pieces of nose gear in the bag and how the heck am I supposed to attach them together..if I had a micro drill press and a mini vice or something I could insert a pin but I don't..??
  • harvey likes this

#11 wunwinglow

wunwinglow

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,983 posts

As with all things, anything is possible. Whether it is financially viable is a different question!

There are several companies here in the UK who do investment casting from wax intermediate masters which are made on a very high definition 3d printer. We had some parts made a few years ago in silver, although there were other metals available. I can ask what the current prices are, but I would need to know what sort of quantities would be involved. The parts were excellent, by the way!!
  • Rick Griewski, Tony T, harvey and 1 other like this

My Father told me two things would happen as I got older.
I can't remember either of them....

FLYINGSTART_TITLE%20SMALL.JPG

#12 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,028 posts

I've half a mind to figure out how to do this stuff.  But it'll sure take away from your free time.

• Rick Griewski and harvey like this

#13 Barry

Barry

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,992 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:24 PM

I personally have NO idea what's involved in making brass castings.

First you need a detailed master pattern to create a mold. So someone has got to make the master usually one for each gear. Quite a bit of work = (time) is involved!

• harvey and Uncarina like this

#14 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,028 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:26 PM

Ernie's far from the easiest person to get a response from, though he has released some sets which surprise, such as for the Hunter and Hawk.

I bought a very nice set of brass u/c for the P-39 a few years ago, which Alan in Austria had made, so maybe contact him?

The Revell Typhoon (Eurofighter) could do with a brass u/c set.

I talk to him on FB on occasion, but it's just personal stuff. Same with Glen Coleman, Paul Fisher, Floyd Werner, Jerry Rutman, and others,... I don't talk business on personal time with them. We can BS back and forth all day long, but business is business and is discussed during business hours.

I detest people asking me about automobiles and gearboxes at 2200 hrs. Call the damn shop in the daytime!  LOL.

• harvey likes this

#15 Clunkmeister

Clunkmeister

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,028 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:27 PM

First you need a detailed master pattern to create a mold. So someone has got to make the master usually one for each gear. Quite a bit of work = (time) is involved!

Can't you just use the original as a master pattern?

• harvey and ChuckT like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users