1/32 Trumpeter P-40B Pearl Harbor build.

1to1scale

Hello everyone, I am working on my first ever 1/32 airplane. Before 2017, I had not built a model since1986 when I discovered cars, hence 1:1 builds. This year I had a few physical issues and had to slow down working in he garage, so I took back up working on 1/72 airplanes. I built10 of them, but my eyes could not handle 1/72 Eduard throttle levers, so I decided to switch to 1/32 instead.

This is my first LSP build, I am going to try to post some pictures if I can figure it out. Please be patient while I figure out how.

https://i.imgur.com/rN8bomG.jpg

Edited by 1to1scale

Ok, now that I have this figured out...

This is the cockpit I used a custom Vallejo mix for, I toned down the chromate green with black and gray and used NATO black the panel. I used flory washes and Tamiya weathering powders.

rN8bomG.jpg

Edited by 1to1scale

101 Scale,

:post1:  Your really going to like it here.

Hopefully, you'll get the hang of posting the BB code so that we don't have to keep on clicking links. Your cockpit looks really nice to this point. The gauges on your IP really pops as they emulate the glass lenses quite nicely. As for the glimpse of the inline Alison, the exhausts really look well done with just the right amount of weathering.

Joel

Ok, I think I figured it out...It don't work from an iPad app! I had to log into the website.

hsKaTW2.jpg

I spent three nights fitting, sanding, and clamping the exhaust stacks until they actually sort of fit together. Well....actually the second night I spent an hour trying to find resin replacements, but no luck, so I went on with it. When they dried I sanded the edges until smooth, carved out the ends, and I used shims to align them perfectly to the fuselage halves. This was the only part of the kit so far that had fit issues, it was like each top and bottom half were intentionally designed not to fit. I painted them black, then a coat of Vallejo Metal jet exhaust, then dusted with rust pigment. Then brushed a little aluminum on the edges of the stacks. I would like to say it was skill, experience, and forethought. In reality, I threw a bunch of crap at it, and it sort of worked out. I may throw a little darker rust pigment at the stacks when it's done.

tYNV6pJ.jpg

I had planned to wipe off excess wash when dry, but the effect was perfect when dry. I just used a wet brush to streak it down the insides of the fuselage. I was trying to keep weathering to a minimum and reflect how a fairly new P-40 would have looked on Dec 6, 1941.

pJAvhsz.jpg

zEaeWF5.jpg

I managed to fit the wings by sanding until I had zero gap, so far I have only needed a little filler at the forward wing roots. I also made $1 seat belts by using paper from a dollar bill with the Trumpeter photoetch.

Edited by 1to1scale

I believe I goofed up, I cut slots in the trailing wing roots for the upper flaps. But I came to realize, while looking at pictures today, the P-40 does not have one piece flaps, the lower part of the wing drops separate from the upper, which I assume is stationary. I guess I need to fill those now.

I found these pictures which confirm my thoughts:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/p-40/images/dsj_p-40b_07.jpg

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/p-40/images/dux_p-40b_03.jpg

Edited by 1to1scale

Those exhausts are really amazing. Hard to beleive that the fit was so bad, and now it looks like they were made by with zero tolerances. the overall weathering on the Allison is superb.  As for the flaps, many US aircraft had them from the late 30s to the start of the war. 

Joel

Those exhausts are really amazing. Hard to beleive that the fit was so bad, and now it looks like they were made by with zero tolerances. the overall weathering on the Allison is superb.  As for the flaps, many US aircraft had them from the late 30s to the start of the war. 

Joel

They are far from 100%, but I originally was going to not expose the engine at all, so only the tips of the exhaust would be seen. I painted the whole assembly black, but then thought that I might as well practice weathering and painting large engines. All I had done before was 1/72 radial engines, so this was a testbed with different paints, washes, and techniques. I am actually pleased how the engine came out as I had no idea if any of it would work. I have now decided to leave the top panel removable, but will probably leave it sitting on the model in the display cabinet. So far, each model I have built this year is some kind of learning experience with a new skill or technique. I really make it a point to try something new on each model. The goal is to build a show winner one day. This one won't be it, but I have a few kits stashed for when I feel I am ready to try and build one.

As for this kit, it will be a first for a few things...

1. First 1/32 kit, my eyes can't take another 1/72 scale photoetch throttle lever.

2. First weathered engine, more than just black wash.

3. First all painted on markings, other than stencils, no decals.

I plan on doing a Trumpy F6F5 Hellcat next, and trying to wire that engine.