Bf109E-3 - Karl Wolff - France 1940

Zero77

mEko9NQ.jpg

Hi,

I started this Eduard kit one or two months ago (maybe 3?). I thought it would be a quick build, but it was not. Not that the kit was bad, actually i think it's a very good kit, but i was very busy and tired those last weeks, so i was not able to do anything most the days.

It's the Eduard 109E-3 profipak. In fact, the only real addition compared to the weekend editions is a small PE fret, and a large decal sheet with 5 schemes. I have read many bad opinions about the Eduard kit, but i have to disagree. Of course it's no Tamiya, the fit is not perfect and some parts need to be cleaned, but it's not very difficult, and it ends up in a nice early 109.

It's obviously not my best build, but i just wanted to build something small and easy. I made a lot of mistakes (had to unglue the gear legs as i disliked the angle, and then i had to cut the wheels as i still dislike the angle, yes that's stupid to do that twice !) and i wish i would have made the camo more accurate, but i just said to myself "hey, it's just a hobby, forget it, and have a good sleep". :)

It's built out of the box, and i used gunze acrylic RLM colors. I applied a water based wash (Flory) and then an oil weathering, you know, the kind with thousands of small dots of oil colors and then you brush in the direction of the airflow. It looked nice, but this oil weathering just disappeared when i applied a coat of satin varnish over it. I just dont understand the penomenon.

I also added some earth pigments.

I chose this scheme because i like the white engine cowling and the wild boar emblem. I like the small mirror on top of the canopy, too.

I hope you like it !

My next one will be the 109B of Hendrick in Spain, with Olympic rings on the propeller spinner. 

Q1covof.jpg
XDnVUgD.jpg
hHCa5xg.jpg
iCRUkhx.jpg
LZpSBsc.jpg
FvxhBWC.jpg
Z2ExjnP.jpg
sA2nSfq.jpg
IdytCrE.jpg
Edited by Zero77

That looks amazing!

Not sure what you mean about the camo not being accurate, but it looks fantastic to me. Great finish and the smooth execution is only amplified by great photography, as well!

I had trouble with the nose/cowl on my Eduard Emil (and I have some twist in one wing, but that was certainly my own doing). The nose seems to be most people's biggest complaint on fit. Other than that, I would say it is indeed a good kit.

Gorgeous!

:goodjob:

John

Thanks John !

Indeed the nose was not the easiest part of the kit, and i have to admit that i used a lot of clamps to submit it. I even had to drill a hole on one side to pull the plastic to the outside and align it with the other panels. Then i plugged some plastic in the hole, added some CA and sanded it clean. That's the happy events of model building ! :)

For the camo not being accurate, that may be myself who see things that i'm the only one to see, but i know i'm not fully satisfied with my rendition of what i see on the pictures.