Photo

New AOA Decals - F-4J Phantom VMFA-334 Falcons (Vietnam/Japan)

aoa decals aoa f-4j phantom f-4j phantom f-4 phantom vmfa-334

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ziggyfoos

ziggyfoos

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:40 AM

This F-4J Phantom scheme I wanted for probably 15+ years for myself and finally decided to do it and release it as a simple "low budget" sheet that features only the squadron specific markings. Although VMFA-334 Falcons has been covered before, the falcon insignia in particular was somewhat lacking in any scale until now. Also in order to keep cost down, only one aircraft is covered, although it can be represented either from Vietnam or later in 1969 when -334 were in Japan.

(edit...) Contrary to what I initially planned, included will be national insignia and intake warnings as well as a few other common markings (similar to what was provided on my earlier F-4J VF-143 sheet)

Expected release is August.
Price TBD
Printed by Microscale
www.AOAdecals.com

32021a.jpg

F4insert.jpg

COVER-32021.jpg

Edited by ziggyfoos, 07 July 2017 - 08:20 PM.

• Luca, Out2gtcha and ghatherly like this

#2 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:14 PM

DAMN! I wish I'd had these when I did mine (used the ancient CAM decals and they mostly fell apart).

header.jpg

• Michael931080, Dragon and ziggyfoos like this

Contributing Writer at Kitmaker Network (http://www.armorama.com) & Campaigns Administrator at Model Shipwrights

Getting ready for ArmorCon: Meng M1A2 SEP TUSK; "Band of Brothers Meets Dead Man's Corner"

Recently completed: Meng FT-17

Future projects: Tamiya F-4E Phantom II "Kurnass" in IDFAF Service ("Shelf of Doom"?)

#3 ziggyfoos

ziggyfoos

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:16 PM

DAMN! I wish I'd had these when I did mine (used the ancient CAM decals and they mostly fell apart).

Bill you still managed a really fine job even with those old sheets (three sets worth!) I'm not sure why CAM didn't provide 334's somewhat unique tall style of "MARINES". If you don't mind me asking, why the grey rudder and no black anti-glare area ahead of the windscreen?
  • Bill Cross likes this

#4 otis252

otis252

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 07:55 PM

I've also always liked those markings. Any idea of a time frame for the release? Thanks.

Chuck

#5 ziggyfoos

ziggyfoos

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:01 PM

I've also always liked those markings. Any idea of a time frame for the release? Thanks.
Chuck

August timeframe
  • ghatherly likes this

#6 ScottsGT

ScottsGT

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:33 PM

This F-4J Phantom scheme I wanted for probably 15+ years for myself and finally decided to do it and release it as a simple "low budget" sheet that features only the squadron specific markings (kit decals or other aftermarket insignia, stencils, etc, will be needed). Although VMFA-334 Falcons has been covered before, the falcon insignia in particular was somewhat lacking in any scale until now. Also in order to keep cost down, only one aircraft is covered, although it can be represented either from Vietnam or later in 1969 when -334 were in Japan.

32021a.jpg

32021.jpg

What am I missing?  These seem to be the exact same decals for the different years?   Is there a variance I'm not seeing??   :shrug:

• ghatherly likes this

#7 ziggyfoos

ziggyfoos

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 03:04 PM

I assume you mean the Vietnam vs Japan version. The only difference is the intake marking that has the name, falcon caricature, and plane captain name.
  • ghatherly likes this

#8 Bill Cross

Bill Cross

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,799 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 04:40 PM

Bill you still managed a really fine job even with those old sheets (three sets worth!) I'm not sure why CAM didn't provide 334's somewhat unique tall style of "MARINES". If you don't mind me asking, why the grey rudder and no black anti-glare area ahead of the windscreen?

Don't recall. Probably the CAM decals (yes, THREE sets) showed that configuration? I'm not always the most reference-oriented modeler, and tend to follow whatever I'm handed.

Contributing Writer at Kitmaker Network (http://www.armorama.com) & Campaigns Administrator at Model Shipwrights

Getting ready for ArmorCon: Meng M1A2 SEP TUSK; "Band of Brothers Meets Dead Man's Corner"

Recently completed: Meng FT-17

Future projects: Tamiya F-4E Phantom II "Kurnass" in IDFAF Service ("Shelf of Doom"?)

#9 Durangokid

Durangokid

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 08:49 PM

I LOVE your decals!  Thanks for producing these fine works of art  :goodjob:

nqpeCK.jpg

• Daniel Leduc, Bill Cross, Dragon and 2 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aoa decals, aoa, f-4j phantom, f-4j, phantom, f-4 phantom, vmfa-334

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users