• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#61 otis252

otis252

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 993 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 02:39 AM

Hey Jerry, which "Fat Face" you going to build? What Trumpeter kit and AM do you have?

Chuck

#62 Jerry

Jerry

LSP Junkie

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 02:34 AM

I did 3 VN tours on USS Ticonderoga CVA-14 so got to see them close up and personal - came up with the idea of doing a representative aircraft of each squadron that was on one of our cruises.  Because of space was going to do 1/48, but can't find good kits of some of the birds - was already working on 2 of the Trumpeter F-8s when Paul announced the RF-8 so had to add one to the stable - then to make matters worse he came out with the Spad and I have to have one anyway so why not in 1/32.  Right now I'm just hoping someone doesn't do an A3 Skywarrior in 1/32 because I am currently working on 2 of them in 1/48.

For the Spad, at Paul's advice for the Navy bird I am doing I got the blue AD-4 casting from Trumpeter as the starting point - at Nats I picked up all the Eduard PE for the A-1 except the interior as it will of course be completely different.  Also picked up the SAC metal landing gear but still want to look at the struts ZM is selling also - would like to completely detail the engine so going to also watch what is out there once we get the actual conversion from Paul - if there are parts still needed Harold at AMS has some bits and pieces that would come in handy.  Also picked up a set of the Master 20mm barrels with the flash hiders and I am going to do some type of really varied load-out.  I'm doing all of our birds with folded wings to save space and give that carrier looks.  Really planning to put each on a flight deck base with full tie down chains and all the extras.  If someone thinks of something out there I overlooked would be really interested in comments.

Jerry

• paul fisher likes this

#63 av8iimech

av8iimech

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2017 - 12:37 PM

Definitely down for an AD-5 if we can get some USMC decal love!!!

• paul fisher and otis252 like this

#64 Pappy915

Pappy915

LSP Member

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:20 AM

Would love to see a 1/48 sheet with The Proud American. A-1H. I can only hope.

#65 Pete Fleischmann

Pete Fleischmann

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 12:53 PM

Hi Paul-

This one is on my "must have" list as well. So glad you are doing it. A-1E or G for me. Very psyched-

Cheers

Pete

• paul fisher and phantomdriver like this

#66 paul fisher

paul fisher

Hooked For Life

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:01 PM

DcTrgS6.jpg

• johncrow, Kagemusha, Harold and 2 others like this

#67 paul fisher

paul fisher

Hooked For Life

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:02 PM

Holy Cow....finally got a  picture to show up....Now to get some shots of things as they progress....this has been SO frustrating.

More soon

Paul

• Kagemusha likes this

#68 Kagemusha

Kagemusha

• LSP Moderator
  • 9,298 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:39 PM

Nice to see photos again, looks great, can't wait to see the decal options.

#69 seiran01

seiran01

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 03:50 PM

That looks gorgeous! I may have missed it earlier in the thread, but do you have an approximate release date and price in mind for this at the moment?

#70 Magic Mike

Magic Mike

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:11 PM

I know what Santa will be bringing me! (hopefully, that is...)

MM

#71 paul fisher

paul fisher

Hooked For Life

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:25 PM

Ok, gents! Here we go again.....I am going to try and post a few pictures of our fat faced friend to make up for lost time.I sure hope the bums at Photobucket have gone through as much hell as we have....I hope their pizza is stale and their coffee cold...Forever!

First up, and over view of the conversion:

27XGK98.jpg

That's not all of it, but you get the idea.All variants of the wide body were configured differently inside the cockpit and cabin, so there will be a conversion for the USAF A-1E up first, with the correct dual control and just some seats for the back if you want to add them.Yankee extraction units were fitted to most USAF two seaters so these will be included too.

Don't let the canopy scare you...I make them out of individual panels so if I screw one up in scribeing or polishing I don't bin the whole thing.Smart, huh? and while it will be an assembly it won't be the jigsaw puzzle you see here.

The belly is a simple slip on panel, and the interior will load up from underneath before you glue it up.I am including a proper cowling since I hate the one Turmpeter did, looks like a pill bottle to me. You can use their engine , tails, wings and such although the conversion will have parts to alter the wheel wells and gear door, etc.Harold at AMS makes cool wheels and props, and I hear Barracudacast is doing a prop too so you will be spoiled for choice on that!

• Youngtiger1, johncrow, Kagemusha and 5 others like this

#72 paul fisher

paul fisher

Hooked For Life

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:30 PM

Next some other pics that PB sent into the cosmos......Grrrr

This is just a general view of the form, before I got started into the weeds...There is an AMAZING amount of detail difference between the single and multi place  Spads, like all projects this one is trying to eat me, but I digress...

LEzjEVz.jpg

1WIaWvL.jpg

• johncrow, Starfighter, Kagemusha and 3 others like this

#73 paul fisher

paul fisher

Hooked For Life

• LSP Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:45 PM

Here's some details...The interior of the multi place Spad has never really been modeled all the way, there's big sheet metal heater ducts along both sides, the metal is stamped with dimples to prevent oil-canning, part of a fairly hefty fuselage bulkhead in the middle and other details yet to be added.

WI2shO9.jpg

You can see part of the main cabin bulkhead too as well as consoles and Douglas type seats.These need cushions before they're done.In the electronic warfare variants the back end can be home to one or two operators and various differing suites of big black boxes and scopes. This will mean a few different sets of interiors, and decals so things will be split into USAF and US Navy / Marines issues so you get what you need .

All this electronic stuff was vaccuum tube technology, I don't suppose the GIB needed that heater a whole lot of the time!

Below are the front and rear canopy hatches in progress, I make the masters in the gray resin so I can read the surfaces better, it's hard to see in the pic, but the clear sections of these hatches were " blown" and so they blimp up inside their respective frames a bit, a real nightmare to capture in miniature, but essential to the look of the final model.These will be polished out further, then the framing will be added in primer to create more of an edge to help you paint them, then a dip in  Future, then molding for casting in clear.

ChbnoOX.jpg

That's all for now...I expect to be done with the masters and going into production tooling before the end of this month, at which time I will start taking orders .decals are in the works, but I don't know yet when they will be back from print, the first sheet is USAF ships, Bernie Fisher's plane, and a few ships in three tone SEA camo. Price is going to about a C-Note.

Thanks for your patience with the PB disaster, 

Paul

• johncrow, Starfighter, LSP_Kevin and 4 others like this

#74 seiran01

seiran01

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 08:04 PM

Looks great, thanks for the additional pics.  A C-note looks like a bargain for all that. 

• paul fisher likes this

#75 Pete Fleischmann

Pete Fleischmann

• LSP_Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 11:23 PM

OMG I can barely contain myself. Think I need a moment alone...I'm getting the vapors-

Cheers

Pete

• johncrow, paul fisher and stusbke like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users