Roden 1/32 Fokker DR I

CANicoll

Hi guys.

Getting started on the Roden Fokker Dr I and am kind of amazed at how few parts, relatively, there are. 

Here is the kit:

DSC_0010_zpsakhjqdpl.jpg

And this is the scheme I've been asked to paint it in.  I have no idea how I'm going to work the light and dark olive streaks:

RB2_zpsgr9sgt9b.png

Got started on the engine and interior.  The engine is a five-part affair, the engine in halves, the carbs on top (?) and the pushrods and exhaust.

DSC_0012_zpspupcqnpz.jpg

DSC_0011_zpsmsybxouj.jpg

Paints are all Vallejo Model Air and their Model Air metallics.  Started with a light spray of the engine of Aluminium, then a coat of Gun Metal and a very light spray of rust.  Did a bit of black and rust wash over the cylinder cooling fins.  The exhaust started out Copper, with a black Flory wash liberally applied then wiped off.

Then on to the machine guns.  Again, started with a spray of aluminium, then gun metal, then a black wash.

DSC_0017_zpsigrobkx0.jpg

And some of the interior pieces.  

DSC_0015_zpsvxmbuc9c.jpg

That is it for now!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Hey Kev!  Well, only two!   :piliot:   The SH P-39 that I just got at half price from the LHS and the ancient Monogram 1/48 scale - the one molded in dark green plastic with the engine molded in as well?  Man do you know me!  LOL

The Roden was given to me by one of our club members who is excellent at figures - he's amazing, but doesn't do machines.  He wants this specific plane for an exhibit going into a library and then some events later in the year.  I'll try and remember to take a pic of the pilot figure he's already done and post it here.

Chris

Hey Chris - great start so far.  I'd experiment with a few oil paints of approximate colour until you find ones you like. Fokker painted the streaks over light blue painted (or blue doped) fabric, not CDL, if that helps at all.

I'm not sure that that's correct at all, Mike. Bottom was painted blue, but I believe the streaking topside, was done over CDL, not blue.

Kev and Mike,  

Thanks for the discussion and the research!  I've not used oils in a long, long time so I'm going to have to think about how to achieve the look with acrylics/enamels.  I can't even imagine how to cover a light-blue background at this point.  I was thinking of doing the light olive base and streaking it with the darker olive, or vis-a-versa. like a pin-wash.  I'm  definitely going to have to practice on this one....

BTW - what is CDL?  I know you are not talking about a 'Commercial Drivers License'!  Heading over to Udvar Hazy to photograph the SR-71 and will wander over to the WWI planes (which honestly, I've hardly given a second look to before) and will see what they have.

Thanks guys!!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

I believe that the prototypes (Fokker F.I) were light blue overall with the upper surfaces streaked with the olive and/or brown application.  Production aircraft (Fokker Dr.I) had blue undersurfaces with the upper surfaces streaked over a clear doped linen (CDL) base.  This is based on Dan San Abbott's (and others) research.

This is how i understand as well - the first (three?) "F.I" may have been blue overall with streaks over that topside but production Dr.I were left clear doped (a beige) on the top and the streaks placed over that with the undersurfaces done in blue.

The gentleman in the thread linked below is building an Roden "F.I" flown by Voss and his streaking method is top notch (hmm, that sounds a bit off but ah-well :) ) - I would try to replicate how he did it but just use a beige undercoat instead of blue (several hobby paint mfg actually have a clear doped linen color in their ranges as well)

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=7627.175

Your start on the engine is top notch as well - looking great

Edited by petrov27

Hi Chris - 

Love your work! Here is a link to a piece over on Britmodeller that I've saved for when I start on my Dr.1. Scroll down and he shows how he does the streaking with oils, and it looks pretty good to me. (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/65072-encore-132-fokker-f1-finished/&/topic/65072-encore-132-fokker-f1-finished/?p=714761)

Cheers!

John

I'll try to find where I read this tomorrow, i don't just make this stuff up for my own amusement Kev :-)

I know you don't, Mike. I'm just going off what I recall (or think I recall). Now that it's been brought up, I do seem to remember someone saying that the F.I Voss flew, in particular, was presumed to be blue underneath the streaky finish.

Hi Chris - 

Love your work! Here is a link to a piece over on Britmodeller that I've saved for when I start on my Dr.1. Scroll down and he shows how he does the streaking with oils, and it looks pretty good to me. (http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/65072-encore-132-fokker-f1-finished/&/topic/65072-encore-132-fokker-f1-finished/?p=714761)

Cheers!

John

Looks pretty cool. One thing I noticed though, is that all the streaking on wings, is running at the same angle as the ailerons, and as far as I remember, this is incorrect.