He-219 A-2 Revell Quickbuild

dutik

Hi there!

With the Texan coming to an end I had no idea what to build next :hmmm: So I opened just the big blue box that has been looking over my shoulder during modelling for some years. Look, there is an Uhu inside :wicked:

The well known Revell kit with some goodies :yahoo:

he219-17ujtq.jpg

It has to be a quick build, so I kept the AM parts to the bare minimum. Precut masks. The mandatory correction parts for the radiator outlet. Also resin seats to overcome the issues of the kit seats.

Added PE for the wheel wells because the wheel wells are large, wide open and very empty. The bird will sit on a high shelf when finished... SAC UC? We shall see.

Revell has the build broken into some independent subassemblies. While still painting the cockpit interior you may build up the wings, engine nacelles and wheel wells. Two each. Also rudders and elevators. Just beware that some parts have to be glued around some kind of hinges so check this before :whistle:

This will become the A-2 from the kit, 1./NJG-1, with the black undersides.

Regards

- dutik

I honestly believe that the ONLY redeeming things about any SAC gear, is the fact that you can polish the oleos, unlike some G-Factor stuff that is straight yellow brass.

G-Factor does make a lot of gear in white brass, that you can polish the oleos with, and I sincerely wish Ernie G would do ALL of his gear in white brass. 

This is why I put a question mark behind the SAC gear. Will take a closer look at the styrene parts when time has come. G-Factor legs are great, but hard to get when you live outside CONUS. Not to forget shipping charges, VAT, custom fee and so on that make you feel like the G-Factor legs were made from gold...

We shall see.

- dutik

Can't recall what the Uhu's gear legs are like, but on the Ju 88 there was enough space inside to install a bit of aluminium tube that I felt added strength enough. Uhu gear would need a bit of bending to work with the more complex shapes of course (if there's space in the first place)..

Matt

Profimodellers UC parts arrived. Looking useful.

Glued, puttied, sanded the wings. Needed putty at the wing-nacelle joint (there are some larger gaps at the rear) and along the nacelle mid seams. Also a bit where the wing halfes did not align well (very small areas) and where I damaged the parts nipping them off. Engraved lost paneel lines. The nacelles are big and the styrene thickness is close to scale, so avoid sqeezing the nacelles during handling or the joints may go off in places. Started adding the PE into the wheel wells. This will strenghten the wing-nacelle joint more. A final layer of putty will be added after this to seal the remaining fine gaps.

he219-4xfs57.jpg

Painting of the cockpit is in progress. Lots of small instrument dial decals to be applied. Take your time and you will achieve a nice result. The clear side wall is a nice idea from Revell, but hard to see where are the details and what is the sprue. Cut off a clear lever on top of the sidewall that was hidden in clear fishskin... Will replace this later.

First cockpit parts ready:

he219-3zmss4.jpg

Painted the wireless boxes in different greys and blues. Also used different greys at the large paneels of the cockpit, light on top and details, dark at the deeper parts.

Regards

- dutik

Looks great so far Dutik! 

If it were me, I would NOT trust to put any of that SAC stuff on a nice model like this.   Ive just had way too many issues with them bending over time on larger and/or heavier models.

"...bending over time..." as in I-M-M-E-D-I-A-T-L-Y!! Tried them on my Twin-tail T-33 and they even bent as I attempted to position them on the model with very little pressure. Used the kit struts.