Eduard P-39 Air-A-Cutie 1/48

CANicoll

One of my favorite kits for a quick-build P-39 is from Eduard - the fit is amazing, you can build in a LOT of detail in the cockpit and you don't mess with the engine or nose cannon assembly so it is a very quick build.

I have the old Cutting Edge Air-A-Cutie decal set so am finally putting it to use.  Also have a bunch of other old bits, including the Moskit metal exhausts. :-)  From 2007 I do believe.

DSC_0150_zpsqbqj6cn9.jpg

DSC_0151_zpsxx0ctzaf.jpg

I decided not to got to town on the cockpit, esp the IP, since I am going to use the pilot figure and he really does clog up the cockpit more than a little bit.

DSC_0002_zpsaxltmbbf.jpg

Not the best picture, sorry!  Will retake and repost, but have already lightened up the face.

I have a few in-process build pics but let me jump ahead a bit...

DSC_0005_zpsggiv9x9r.jpg

DSC_0006_zpsdmeiyqrq.jpg

DSC_0004_zpstqhayzui.jpg

I've actually closed up and have started to sand the fuselage seams, esp that one on the back.  There is a bit of gloss in the cockpit for some decals that I will flatten out.  I would weather the seat, and will a bit on the sides, but with the pilot in place, you really on see the one side.

I'll have the right side door open but expect to have the left door closed.

More to come later!

Chris

Kev,

No kidding!  I do like the P-39's and Eduard makes such a nice kit.  No engine or nose bits to worry about and the fit is really super - I've already put the wings and fuselage together and the separate nose piece for the nose gun options fit so well that I touched some extra thin Tamiya cement to a corner and that was all it needed.

Should be in paint next week.  Did you get your rain issues sorted yet or still preparing to build an ark?   :)

Chris

Ok, I'm having MASSIVE problems with Photobucket this week.  On the order of taking 5+ minutes to load a page, and not uploading pictures, taking multiple tries to get to my library UGH.  I've tried three different browsers too.  Rant over.

Here are the pictures I can get up so the story may be a little stilted...

Got the canopy on and the interior color painted.  I'm using this set of doors just as masks as I've had an idea:  Keeping the left side door closed, but also keeping it clear - not painted.  Paint the right side door and have it open.  This will be an interesting look. :-)

DSC_0009_zpsrjuukmbk.jpg

Ok, I can't get PB or Imgbox to work to post any more images so standby.  As soon as I can post pictures I'll update with more detail.

Chris

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Super work on the P-39, looks mighty nice in th4e stand. I can feel your pain when your in a holding pattern waiting for PB or Imgbox to load.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Ok, Finally with a ton of patience, on the order of an hour, to get PB to work.  I'm going to probably move to Imgur however.

FINALLY get to post a few pics.  Got the primer coat down, and actually have the tail painted white,  and the underside of the fuselage and wing in gray.  I did use the supplied Eduard PE for the under side vents, which looks so much better than the plastic options. The thinness is just so apparent.

DSC_0016_zps9odhb9ij.jpg

DSC_0021_zpsoxteqjcq.jpg

And I even remembered to add the bomb mounting point this time!

DSC_0020_zpsqvtzhi59.jpg

And a bit of color with the PE on the nose gear - again, I tried drilling out the plastic piece (the mangled piece on the left side of the photo), but the PE part is SOOO much more to scale:

DSC_0022_zps2gc0in2w.jpg

Had to mask the HellDiver canopies (something like 40 separate masks) tonight so this week will see about making more progress.

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Making progress and finally am getting PB to work again which makes this a bit easier.

Masking for the field drab and the white tail.  

DSC_0031_zpsbefxxjhf.jpg

I'm still working on the 'white basing' effect that I've found out about from Wolf Buddee who does this using a black base.  For a faded effect I like to start with a white primer base.

DSC_0033_zpsacrknzlu.jpg

Lighting is very important to gauge how far to go, and I use what I call a 'dry spray' as well to make sure the paint dries quickly.  What I mean is, I use the airbrush to spray air, but no paint, over the painted surface.  Very handy to help see how the paint looks.

DSC_0034_zpsrm6bn7gc.jpg

I did make one mistake that I have to decide what to do.  I painted the left side door when I meant to paint the right side door.  I wanted to leave the left door clear.  So I will probably strip the door and paint the right side (which will be open, left side closed).  The doors on the plane in the picture are just being used as masks.

Update:  Stripped the door just fine.  Will have to re-dip in Future, but that is a piece of cake.  Yay!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Guest Peterpools

Chris

Super AB paint work - looking so good.

I'm closely following your white basing weathering as the effect is just what I'm looking for

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Thanks Peter, thanks Kev and Andy!  Did the walkway panels last night and have a bit of over spray to clean up - my bad as I was being lazy with masking.  No worries.  

Peter, do you think its worth putting together a short video or article on what I've done with the white, or do you think its easy enough to do?  Would have to figure out how I would do it, but I have some ideas.

Starting decals tonight (YAY).  Have some cool photo references to work from so will be doing some different things - the white nose band was not completely applied - like it was done in a hurry but in the photo I have the base layer shows through in places so want to replicate that. 

Plus, cold weekend this weekend and its a three day holiday so lots of bench time.

Cheers!

Chris

Edited by CANicoll

Ok Peter, let me see what I can do. :-)  Just for you!  LOL

Here is the latest.  Got a few of the decals on the bird - but having a bit of difficulty with the national insignia.  Working hard to get them settled into the panel lines and the bottom insignia tore when I was trying to push it down. I've started putting the stencils on the bottom of the wing and working on the cockpit door.  BTW, got my little photo booth set up.

DSC_0037_zps7na8mlbm.jpg

DSC_0039_zps51yeqdlv.jpg

I have not finished painting the bottom yet either. :-)  Oh and I managed to knock off all the PE vents. ;-)  I'll put them back on when i finish the painting.

DSC_0042_zpsdbi3eoqp.jpg

I think I need to extend the black wing walk area to the trailing edge.  Oops.

Hoping to get to the nose decals tomorrow. 

Chris